* PowerVPS & Nameservers??? & $$$

Sorry if this was covered elsewhere, I've taken a quick look and the specifics of this $$$ I've not seen anywhere else.

I bit the bullet and got a VPS at PowerVPS today.

One of the first steps on sign-up is:

"Create the two name servers at your registrar"

I had the subject domain over at Verio who uses Melbourne. As a Verio reseller with a live account, I'm supposed to be able to register new domains, manage their DNS, etc., but no direct instructions to Melbourne.

So off I go to the Verio backroom to create a record for an ns1 and ns2 at the subject domain. That goes fast and easy, and propagates quickly.

But I try then to delegate the DNS to the new ns1.MYDOMAIN.TLD and the Verio backroom will not allow it. I call support and they tell me I need to expressly register nameservers which they are happy to do for $495.00!!!

Am I missing something? Is this a fee you have all paid to your registrars when moving to PowerVPS?

I'm perfectly familiar with migration, registration and DNS issues. But a $495 hit to use PowerVPS? Any clues would be helpful.

Thank you,

Craig

Just transfer your domain name to a different registrar like godaddy. It is done for free by them as far as I know. Please cionfirm with them before you transfer though. And powervps has nothing to do with the domain name registration or the fee associated with it. They do only hosting for their clients.

Originally posted by Supp0rt
    And powervps has nothing to do with the domain name registration or the fee associated with it. They do only hosting for their clients.
    I don't mean to imply PowerVPS had any role in this high price issue - just that the requirement for name servers brings with it a solution that may bear a high price from registrars.

And thanks for the reply Supp0rt!

I'm planning on moving the registration to godaddy - but hoped that could happen after the site was up and running.

Craig

I don't mean to imply PowerVPS had any role in this high price issue - just that the requirement for name servers brings with it a solution that may bear a high price from registrars.
    You may want to pick your post subject more carefully next time
    Three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population

I currently use Network Solutions and I am very happy with them. Name Servers can be registered for free, and can be managed very easily via the Network Solutions web control panel.

Thanks Alex and kelownatech.

Lesson learned about the subject line

This is not a PowerVPS charge.

I've got the transfer to godaddy underway.

bouh!
    I though i would finally find a bad topic about powervps... I'm pretty sure it doesn't exists

Nah, just joking!

For your problem. Well, i'm sure every registrar let you do it on their interface... i can't believe you really have to pay for this 495$ as verio asked you to do ... that's a steal!

And for godaddy... yeah, it's pretty easy to do it there.

Re: PowerVPS & Nameservers??? & $$$

Originally posted by Aeronautic
    a $495 hit to use PowerVPS? Any clues would be helpful.
    I registrerd my nameservers troug namecheap, free and easy trough thir webinterface.

Originally posted by jack finch
    ...For your problem. Well, i'm sure every registrar let you do it on their interface... i can't believe you really have to pay for this 495$ as verio asked you to do ... that's a steal!

And for godaddy... yeah, it's pretty easy to do it there.
    Verio's "Deal"

That's the link to what they are trying to stick me with.

Any wonder I want out?

As I understand it, the fee is for the nameservers themself, not to register the nameservers (you need to do this anyway).
    Hovever, a lot of hosts offers free vanity nameservers for their resellers.

Originally posted by BlueBoy
    As I understand it, the fee is for the nameservers themself, not to register the nameservers (you need to do this anyway).
    Hovever, a lot of hosts offers free vanity nameservers for their resellers.
    BlueBoy,

They will not allow you to register the nameservers alone, without this fee.

I don't want their "virtual nameserver" and I've told them that. I told them I want to register my domain as my new nameserver at new off ViaVerio IPs - which they won't allow without this fee.

And they act like they have never heard of such a thing, despite what has been posted here about how godaddy and others will do it for free.

Aeronautic,

Just had the mods change the thread title for ya

HTH

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Melbourne == EVIL.

They are idiots who know absolutly nothing about domain registration. Transfer the domain to GoDaddy.com and they will do it for free.
    Regards,
    datruesurfer

Originally posted by Aeronautic
    BlueBoy,

They will not allow you to register the nameservers alone

I don't want their "virtual nameserver" and I've told them that. I told them I want to register my domain as my new nameserver at new off ViaVerio IPs - which they won't allow without this fee.

And they act like they have never heard of such a thing, despite what has been posted here about how godaddy and others will do it for free.

They really try to force you to use their viritual nameservers? or pay this fee anyway? Thats robery
    I would defintly change registrar...

I really have not used godady myself, but at namecheap you can register the nameservers using your own name (ns1. nameserver. dns1. or whatever you like) and using the IP you want, all from the web interface and for free. (Guess its something similar at godady)
    Last edited by BlueBoy; 07-12-2005 at 01:17 PM.

Originally posted by elix
    Aeronautic,

Just had the mods change the thread title for ya

HTH

-GSV
    elix,

Thanks - that's better.

BlueBoy - move underway - now waiting on Melbourne to let go... then we are off to the races.

* Verio Saga

From the evening of 7/11/05 (Verio "support")

Hello. Unfortunately I have no way around the charges for the Virtual Name Servers, as shown at this URL we do charge the $495 fee for setting a domain up as a Virtual Name Server:

http://viaverio.com/index.cfm?page_id=84

This URL clearly states the charger Verio sets for setting up your domain as a Virtual Name Server. If you'd like I can forward this request to our DNS/DNR team for further review, just let me know.

Thanks -

Of course she was wrong and I told her so.

This tech wrote back 4 times talking to me like I was an idiot quoting their policies and rules and fees. Each time delaying this going live and burning my time and money.

Then...

From the afternoon of 7/12/05 (someone else)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Verio Support.

I sincerely apologize for the confusion on this matter on our part. We can definitely register your domain as a nameserver with Melbourne.

There is *no* fee for this. We can do this ASAP for you once we have the IP addresses to point at. The $495 fee is only applied if you want to use our nameservers as your "virtual nameservers" (pointing your nameservers at ours).

It looks like you have created zone records for ns1.mydomain.net and ns2.mydomain.net to point to IP1 & IP2.

Please confirm that these are the IP addresses you would like the registered nameservers pointed at - and we can submit the request to Melbourne.

Again, I apologize for the confusion in this matter on our part. Please confirm the above IP addresses, and we can get this processed ASAP.

Best Regards,

Say goodbye Verio.

Oh, I asked him to do just what he asked me to confirm and do it asap at 2:40 pm local. It is now 4:33 local and nothing.

well... even if you finally found it's free... having to contact support for this is shamefull... move to another registrar

Originally posted by jack finch
    well... even if you finally found it's free... having to contact support for this is shamefull... move to another registrar
    Jack,

I could not agree more.

The move for all my hosting and registration business is underway.

Craig

but to cheer you up, i will tell you that with powervps you will be more than very satisfied

* Melbourne "Responds"

This is just amazing.

In response to the transfer request, I just got this e-mail from Melbourne:

Attention Licence Holder,

Re: TRANSFER OF DOMAIN NAME TO ANOTHER REGISTRAR

Domain Name: MYDOMAIN.COM

Reference: XXXXXXXXX

Melbourne IT Limited and for domain names, or hosting provider received notification on 13-Jul-2005 that you have requested a transfer to another domain name registrar.

If you want to proceed with this transfer, you do not need to respond to this message. The Domain Name will then be transferred to the new Registrar automatically upon the lapse of the grace period.

If you wish to reject the request to transfer your Domain Name to
    another Registrar click on the URL below: <snipped out>

If you wish to contact your Reseller to confirm these changes please do so:

Reseller Name: for domain names, or hosting provider
    Reseller URL:.
    Reseller Email: .

Please note: If you do not reject within 4 calendar days(inclusive of
    today) of this email, the transfer will be automatically approved in
    accordance with ICANN policies.

Please Do Not Reply to this email message as we cannot issue a
    response.

If you have any enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact your
    Reseller at.

Kind Regards,
    Trading as : Internet Names WorldWide (INWW)
    Internet Names Australia (INA)
    Support : www.melbourneit.com.au/contacts/support.php
    Offices : Melbourne, San Francisco, Madrid, London, Stockholm, Paris and Amsterdam
    Head Office : Level 2, 120 King Street Melbourne Victoria Australia 3000

1) There is no way to confirm the request so it could go forward, um RIGHT NOW.
    2) The blank bits, where the (my) reseller info belongs are blank because Melbourne did not fill them out!
    3) They can not or will not respond to any replies to the message.
    4) It will take 4 MORE days to complete this transfer.

Just unbelievable.

I got the same message when I transfered away from them. There is nothing you can do but wait unfortuately.
    Regards,
    datruesurfer

If they are wantin to charge that much to allow you to create nameservers then you definitely need to change hosts.

Originally posted by telder0428
    If they are wantin to charge that much to allow you to create nameservers then you definitely need to change hosts.
    Not change hosts, change domain registrars.

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Hi!
    I outsource my DNS for my VPS's through UltraDNS. It's not free..but certainly nowhere near $495. That is absurd...as simple as that. I pay $6.00 base for one domain...I have four in the account right now..I think that is about a extra 6.00/month.

Bryon

25. Those enterprise clients are the ones who paid Verio the $495s and kept them alive. That is how an incompetent company stay afloat, theyve got big fat backings.
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

I had my first good support phone call with my old hosting company yesterday. I was dealing with a good guy in DNS/DNR.

When you deal with quality people it is easier to overlook the snafus - I'm still gone, but had the last couple of years been more like yesterday, no doubt the price of the hosting package (but not the mistaken NS charge), would not have been so important.

Again, to be real clear, they admitted the $495 charge was wrong.

And the guy from yesterday, who took the time to read the whole support ticket, said he could not understand from reading my first request and 4 additional e-mails why they got it wrong.

I've got the first domain moving registrars now (with the name server). After all the others get re-pointed and stable, I'll deal with registration for them.

What a fun process!

Thanks for all help WHT!

Craig

Post Script - Migration

So far pretty happy with the folks at PowerVPS.

Response to support request e-mails has been VERY fast.

There were a few more of those than there should have been. cPanel was not configured correctly at "launch," Fantastico was simply not "there." (truth be told - I feel I may have screwed that up with the first steps on the new box - but they did not blame me and I'm not sure)

But I'm happy so far.

Still moving sites across the either while launching a new one at the same time.

Oh...

And learning phpNuke and phpadsnew from ground zero.

I'll update after the move is complete. And I get some sleep.

Thanks again for all the help WHT.

ps: If you care, the airline site in my sig is the newbie.