Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Exclamation Manlius All Gone - Kevin On The Run

Breaking news....

Manlius aka FCT Enterprises went belly up today with no notice, losing all client data for all hosted clients. I personally lost 20+ sites which were hosted with Manlius under the reseller account I had with them. Presumably hundreds were lost in total.

Gone.

Email. Gone.

Sites Gone.

Databases Gone.

Clients Gone.

I need to make calls to all of my clients now to explain that their data is vapor now...SORRY!

Apparently Manlius, run by Kevin Fairbanks, ran out of cash. This one man shop owed/owes the Datacenter (theplanet) $750 and decided to not pay the bill and watch the service get disconnected. In addition, and the hardest part to swallow...he knew for 2 weeks that they would be disconnected and never told anyone. Never gave anyone a chance to get their data. He knew, he watched, it died, he ran...like a coward.

We offered to pay the bill, no questions asked, just to get access to our data, but he doesn't answer his phone. No emails are returned...nothing. He is a coward.

If you are reading this Kevin, call me. You know who I am. Do the right thing and man up. Let us foot the bill, let everyone get their data back, walk away with some dignity. If you run and hide, we will take you to court. We have the lawyers, we have the money, we will sue you. For however small the damages are, we will recover what we need to recover and it will be far more painful than the option I am presenting you with. I want to do this the easy way, and we want to all walk away happy. We don't want to persue this in court, but we will. We will do this to get our stuff back, and we will do this as a shot across the bow to all ******** host companies that enough is enough.

Anyone else who is being burned by this guy, we encourage you to contact the planet and plead the case to release our data. at theplanet dot com Kevin, and Manlius's last known contact info is as follows.

<CL Edit - Phone number removed>

Manlius
    PO Box 66
    Groton, NY 01307
    Last edited by Odd Fact; 07-12-2005 at 12:14 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I have 3 words for everyone.

Backup, Backup, Backup.

..even if your host backs up for you...
    Brad Baker www.rochen.com
    Rochen - True Premium Shared & Reseller Hosting since 2000
    Better Support: Expert support 24/7 from Red Hat and Cisco Certified Engineers
    Joomla! Core Team Member Joomla Tutorials
      0 Not allowed!

We do daily backups to a local drive and then rsync to an off location 2 hours later so we always have two copies of each days data but we still encourage our clients to do their own.

I know that does not help and I hope like heck you can get this worked out with your old host or even direct with theplanet. Heck if it were me I would pay the $750 to be able to access the 20+ customers data I was going to lose, it would be worth the $$$. I don;t know if this is a possibility but you might contact theplanet ASAP before they wipe the drives.

Let us know what happens..

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
      0 Not allowed!

I have never heard of this host personally, but I would agree that it is always good to do personal backups to your local hard drive, because during my web designing ages, I have learned that many hosts out their say they offer backups, but really don't, and just use it as a sales pointer.

But yeah, it is always good to do backups.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Manlius All Gone - Kevin On The Run

Originally posted by no_more_manlius
    I need to make calls to all of my clients now to explain that their data is vapor now...SORRY!
    Make sure to explain to your clients that you were ultimately responsible for their data and that it is your responsibility to back up that data and you didn't.

Although it sucks that your host went belly up, and I feel for you, if you were a real hosting provider, you would have had backups of all of your data and would have been back online in a few hours.

This is not a business for kids... and again, I am sorry your host went belly up, but there is NO REASON for you not to have backups.

Best of luck!

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Small problem the way that most of these data centers work is They are given a notice of cancilation once that notice expires they pull the plug and format the data. If he owned the server you would be in another situation. Sorry dude ya data is tost and there is no retiving it. Planet.net wants the server as soon as possible ready for the next client. So they clean the hard drive. And get it ready for the next client. that is the disavantage to renting. Ya never know who the previous renter was and once it is gone it is gone.
      0 Not allowed!

damn, ive been with manlius since they started and really liked them. this blows, good thing i was only hosting a personal site w/ them... still sucks tho, and i do feel cheated that kevin would do that sort of thing to loyal customers.

really annoyed now that i think about how he handled this situation, but what can you expect for $20/year 3gb/30gb plan...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by covercash
    but what can you expect for $20/year 3gb/30gb plan...

That pretty much sums it up for me.

Small problem the way that most of these data centers work is They are given a notice of cancilation once that notice expires they pull the plug and format the data. If he owned the server you would be in another situation. Sorry dude ya data is tost and there is no retiving it. Planet.net wants the server as soon as possible ready for the next client. So they clean the hard drive. And get it ready for the next client. that is the disavantage to renting. Ya never know who the previous renter was and once it is gone it is gone.

that stinks even thought a DC wants to make money I think it would be in everyones best interest to sit on a cancelled server for X amount of days or whatever in case something needs to be pulled. Yes I know it is not the DC's fault but it would be a nice gesture and I am sure theplanet can sit on a server for 2 weeks before putting it back in service?? maybe not

Robert
    Last edited by GWDGuy; 07-11-2005 at 10:23 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

The phone numbers listed are not the numbers for FCT Enterprises but to who ever got the number the last time they moved, please remove these numbers before someone get unneeded harassing phone calls. FCT Enterprises did send out notice to all clients that they were going bankrupt due to to many chargeback's in the last 10 days, from fraud orders. This notice was sent out on 7/10/2005 as they tried to make every arrangement possible to get the money to cover the needed server payment. I am not aware of the current status of the owners of FCT Enterprises, but I am sure that within the next day or two they will be making some kind of effort to contact their clients.

I know them personally and they have to be feeling extremely overstressed with the situation at hand watching the company they have built over the past 5 years get crumbled by some jerks with stolen credit cards.
      0 Not allowed!

That is total bull. I never got any notice. Nothing, nada, zilch.

I would have put out some extra cash to keept things going too.

Originally posted by FCT_Sales
    The phone numbers listed are not the numbers for FCT Enterprises but to who ever got the number the last time they moved, please remove these numbers before someone get unneeded harassing phone calls. FCT Enterprises did send out notice to all clients that they were going bankrupt due to to many chargeback's in the last 10 days, from fraud orders. This notice was sent out on 7/10/2005 as they tried to make every arrangement possible to get the money to cover the needed server payment. I am not aware of the current status of the owners of FCT Enterprises, but I am sure that within the next day or two they will be making some kind of effort to contact their clients.

I know them personally and they have to be feeling extremely overstressed with the situation at hand watching the company they have built over the past 5 years get crumbled by some jerks with stolen credit cards.
      0 Not allowed!

Did you work for them? you have their company in your Sig? This whole situation stinks for all involved but if $750 is going to make or break a company they should not be in the game. My opinion of course means nothing. Heck I would have called each of my resellers personally and said "here's the deal" not relied on an email message that might not get through.

WOW!!!

Robert
      0 Not allowed!

Is the account you have listed with them hosted on one of the servers? If so you may not have gotten your email prior to thePlanet shutting off the servers.
      0 Not allowed!

I have all up to date info listed with manlius. I even have chatted several times on a couple instant messanger clients ( i am always reachable) with them. So they had several ways to contact me.

Is the account you have listed with them hosted on one of the servers? If so you may not have gotten your email prior to thePlanet shutting off the servers.
      0 Not allowed!

Looks like this thread will be fun...

off to unsubscribe
    Brad Baker www.rochen.com
    Rochen - True Premium Shared & Reseller Hosting since 2000
    Better Support: Expert support 24/7 from Red Hat and Cisco Certified Engineers
    Joomla! Core Team Member Joomla Tutorials
      0 Not allowed!

I would have to say that 10 days is not enough notice.
    I would expect a server to allow at least 20 days notice. For a semi good company. If not 30 i mean common what is the rest of the month going to do to you.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes I used to do some sales for them. It was not $750 which broke them but 16 chargebacks over the past 10 days which broke them as each carried a $25 fee along with processing fees in and out and the refund of each fraudulant payment.

I have been unable to get ahold of the owners to find out what is going on, but am sure that as soon as they get my message they will call me back, as in addition to work for them my wife and I are friends with them. I do know that there was an illness in the family over the past weekend and they may be out of town dealing with that.
      0 Not allowed!

Let me say this as the former security/abuse admin for FCT there was NO notice sent out. The servers were not d/c'ed until this afternoon so any emails sent should have gone out before then.

Second Kevin is a coward for not even telling us tech's what was going and for 2 weeks he knew about this.

So FCT_Sales I think your kevin and we want to talk to you so contact us in the usual way in IM.
    Last edited by Odd Fact; 07-12-2005 at 03:59 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Holy crap how does someone get that many chargebacks? ACK!! We have had 2 charge backs in 6 years and I have been peeved about that.
    I guess it is what it is and not much can be done now.

I hope the family memeber is doing better, family is important.

Good luck all.

Robert
      0 Not allowed!

I am not Kevin, my name is Mike and I live down the road from Kevin. The last I talked to him was on Friday when he found out his dad was ill. He was telling me about all the recent fraud order that they had taken which if you were his security tech as you (I have not heard of you) you would be aware of this. It would be unlike Kevin to just up and bale, I belive if it was not for the issue with his father he would be here now making arrangements to get the servers back online, if at all possible.

Several people have posted here offering to pay to get the servers back online, have any of them contacted thePlanet to see what arrangements could be made?

I will take a drive by Kevin's house and see if they are at home and if they are I will try to find out what is going on.
      0 Not allowed!

Several people have posted here offering to pay to get the servers back online, have any of them contacted thePlanet to see what arrangements could be made?

About this all i can say is good luck as my post has provided info before the info is most likely gone. Vanish not comming back the format king has waved his septer.
    However it is worth a shot.
      0 Not allowed!

FCT_Sales: Private Message me with your instant messaging account so I can add you, we need to talk about Kevin's situation and there is only a limited time to resolve this so please contact me asap.
      0 Not allowed!

And there was only 1 charge back this month I know of that was used as a paypal scam. As for trying to contact planet we all have but only kevin can pay the bill.

And as for not knowing me I really dont care I don't know you either nor have I heard your name before. What kevin did is un-called for and very unprofessional.

There was no notice sent out. If there had been I would have gotten one since I had a personal account there also as did the other tech's.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by fct_tom
    FCT_Sales: Private Message me with your instant messaging account so I can add you, we need to talk about Kevin's situation and there is only a limited time to resolve this so please contact me asap.
    Tried to PM you but got this error:

The user you are sending a private message to does not have enough posts to read it. Please wait a few days and try again once they have enough posts.

I do not use IM, you can try to PM me but not sure if you can since you can't read them.
      0 Not allowed!

well, i was able to find multiple listings for kevin in the area that he lives, all within a few miles of each other. so maybe he owns multiple properties. anyway, one of the listings is in Manlius, NY... so i would assume that would most likely be him. it has his home addy and phone number that i would not be opposed to calling tomorrow if he hasn't responded by then...
      0 Not allowed!

I hope no one minds me asking this silly question but why are there so many "fct" people here all of a sudden? Do you guys all work for this company and none of you know each other?

I am not trying to be funny but if you just signed up in the past hour why would you sign up as the company name if the company is gone? That makes no sense? just being nosey I guess

Robert
      0 Not allowed!

Well it appears I need to make five posts before I can PM you so I'll have to make a few posts first
      0 Not allowed!

I have been here since Jun 2004 so I am not new as for the fct_scott account, as I posted earlier I have never heard of him and I have know the owners of FCT Enterprises / Manlius.com for years. The fct_tom account I think is legit, I remember Kevin talking about a tom that was helping him out with support.
      0 Not allowed!

Mike, if i can finally pm you hopefully you can tell me more about what is going on with kevin's family and I can tell you about his options. I wish we had another way to communicate. Dont go away we really need to talk tonight and I can only make one post every 90 seconds.
    Moderators: dont hate me, this really is an emergency
      0 Not allowed!

I have been here since Jun 2004 so I am not new as for the fct_scott account, as I posted earlier I have never heard of him and I have know the owners of FCT Enterprises / Manlius.com for years. The fct_tom account I think is legit, I remember Kevin talking about a tom that was helping him out with support.
    Gotcha sorry I have been up since 4am and kind of out of it I guess. I will sign off since I am not helping any..

I sure hope the planet can salvage the data that would be great great or maybe the owner had some off server backups.

good luck and God speed

Robert
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, im legit ive been with kevin since 2002 and am shocked by the turn of events. One more post after this and I should be able to PM you.
      0 Not allowed!

There is a chance the data can be salvaged yes, but only if I am able to get in touch with Kevin in time.
      0 Not allowed!

Tom,
    Do you have access to the account managment site with thePlanet? It has some funky name, I don't remember but I will see if I can dig up the email kevin sent me when he first got his servers at theplanet what had a username and password to access it.

Thanks,
    Mike
      0 Not allowed!

FCT_sales I worked for kevin. fct_tom will vouche for me.
      0 Not allowed!

But who is going to vouch for you and Tom?
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.
      0 Not allowed!

I have orbit access for the planet also.
      0 Not allowed!

FCT_Sales: I have the login, but it will do no good unless the bill can be paid from kevin's account, and its his credit card on file as far as I know, can we please take this to PM?

anon: what would you consider proof? Ive been with FCT since 2002
      0 Not allowed!

PM is fine, I have responded to yours.
    I will drive by his house in the AM and see if they are back in town yet. If not I think I have his parents number and I will try to get a hold of him.
      0 Not allowed!

*cough* CyberWings *cough*

Some companies become famous from their inactions while others from their actions.
      0 Not allowed!

[B]I am not Kevin, my name is Mike and I live down the road from Kevin. The last I talked to him was on Friday when he found out his dad was ill.
    Lesson for today, never buy web hosting from little kids.
      0 Not allowed!

Kevin isn't a little kid he is a grown adult in his 50's i think. He is just a coward by doing this to his clients and trying to avoid a lawsuit that some people have started against him. He wants the business to die so they cant go after him.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast