.la domains. Where?

Hello, where can I register a .la domain for myself?

cheaper==better =)

endel

Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

i think they offer registration only with webhosting.. or at least i can't see a link which allows me to just register a domain.

eek!

www.dale.la = $50 a year for 2 years!?
    Personal Blog: dalehay.me

Originally posted by Dale Hay
    eek!

www dale la = $50 a year for 2 years!?
    if you checed "www dot la", then that 50$ it is with the webhosting

$50 a year for 2 years.

Domain Name Only
    Includes Free:
    * "Coming Soon" page
    * Domain forwarding
    * Set your own nameservers
    Plus free unlimited email:
    *Addresses (with catch-all option!)
    *Forwarding
    *Auto-responses
    *Announcement lists
    The webhosting one is "add $60/year"
    Personal Blog: dalehay.me

i have bulkregiter account and guess what its $45/YEAR lol

i thought going to resellers is cheaper?!
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Just don't forget .la is Laos, not Los Angeles. The Laos government could take it back at any time.

Register a .la by all means... but not as the main or only domain for your business.

Originally posted by Lubeca
    The Laos government could take it back at any time.
    I'm not 100% sure of that. They have agreements with both ICANN and the company which now manages .la for them. Of course, Laos is not exactly a democracy as we know it, so anything could happen.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

this happened to .LY domains there was some company managing them ithink domains.ly and selling premium domains then LY registry took it back

i think .LA already been taken back from register.la and given to the country to re-run it on www.la

how many major sites run .la?

None that I know of
    Domain Maven

Originally posted by nameslave
    I'm not 100% sure of that. They have agreements with both ICANN and the company which now manages .la for them. Of course, Laos is not exactly a democracy as we know it, so anything could happen.
    Who is "they"?

This is who .la belongs to according to the IANA database:

Lao National Internet Committee (LANIC)
    Science Technology and Environment Agency
    Prime Minister's Office
    P. O. Box 2279
    Vientiane Lao PDR
    Laos

Anyone selling .la as "The cool new domain for Los Angeles" (or whatever this year's slogan is) are doing so under an agreement with the government of Laos. Nothing to do with ICANN. The only entity that has an agreement with ICANN is the government of Laos.

Originally posted by Bashar
    i think .LA already been taken back from register.la and given to the country to re-run it on www.la
    Yes, there had been some dispute regarding who was the legitimate manager of .la; that was solved, and the ccTLD redelegated to the authoritative party which then signed a contract with the current company, LA Names Corporation.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

If they ever take back the extention it'd surprise me they'd require a local address, they will not risk to lose all existing .la users as customer.

Same for .co.uk, .tv, .ws, ... I cannot see them re-introducing a "locals only" policy because it would cost them many customers.

Originally posted by Lubeca
    Who is "they"?

This is who .la belongs to according to the IANA database:

Lao National Internet Committee (LANIC)
    Science Technology and Environment Agency
    Prime Minister's Office
    P. O. Box 2279
    Vientiane Lao PDR
    Laos

Anyone selling .la as "The cool new domain for Los Angeles" (or whatever this year's slogan is) are doing so under an agreement with the government of Laos. Nothing to do with ICANN. The only entity that has an agreement with ICANN is the government of Laos.

Like I said, "they" (referring to LANIC, which is APPARENTLY directly accountable to the Laos government) have agreements with both ICANN and the company which now manages .la for them.

Originally posted by Gerrit
    If they ever take back the extention it'd surprise me they'd require a local address, they will not risk to lose all existing .la users as customer.

Same for .co.uk, .tv, .ws, ... I cannot see them re-introducing a "locals only" policy because it would cost them many customers.
    Country code registries aren't necessarily out to make a profit. A lot of them are non-commercial organisations - educational institutions, government departments and not-for-profit foundations.

The main remit of ccTLD registries is to serve the Local Internet Community. A ccTLD registry could, conceivably, decide that it is NOT serving the Local Internet Community by letting foreign companies have control of its name space and selling all the best domains to foreigners.

i doubt one day Tuvalu can pull .tv from verisign