Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Game Server Post

I know, yet another game server post, bear with me.

I am interested... interested, not planning to buy just yet, in a dedicated server for gaming.
    The server will be holding...
    -A 12 slot private Counterstrikeource Server (not used often, usually only 10 players)
    -A 24 slot public CSource server (server full 25% of the time)
    -A 32 slot public CSource server (server full 100% of the time)
    -A Ventrilo Server

I am on a budget between $150 and $200.
    I need a good, dependable network that is good for east coast gaming!

Please do not PM or email me, just respond with any companies you know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

A server on InterNAP should work

East coast for gaming - if you want to be able to market your product as unique - I wouldn't get NAC or Ezzi as there are tons of 14 yr olds selling 20 man publics for about $40 and if you go any higher in pricing people will go " you have the same IP! and they're cheaper"

So I suggest InterNAP. Try also Peer 1 - not too many people use that.

150-200 is for a single proc or dual proc server?

To hold that 32 slot pub and 24 slot pub you'll definitely need a Dual Xeon 2.8+ // OPteron - I suggest a xeon

in that case, 150-200 is too low of a budget - maybe 200-250 is more fitting for the type of demand you have
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

Alright I have a Peer 1 company in mind.
    Would these specs do it?

DUAL Athlon MP 2600s!
    1GB Registered PC2100 Memory
    1 x 80 GB Hard Drive
    2000 GB Bandwidth

For Peer1, you have Ezzi, NYnoc, and Digital Outrage. I'm sure there are others as well. NAC is excellent for gaming as well with all the peering thay have with the eyeball networks.

I know Art of War Central has an NY location that has Lightpath bandwidth in the mix, so for Optimum Online Subscribers your looking at sub 10ms pings.

Ezzi is not pure peer1, i wouldn't list them anywhere close to being peer1.

Superb has been good for me for east coast, and LiquidWeb is pretty solid too.

If you're looking for north east, I'd strongly suggest iWeb.ca.

http://www.Steadfastnetworks.com great network/pings they're in Chicago "good for east coast gaming". I ping 25-30 on average from NJ, sometimes lower when my Comcast isn't acting up.

Originally posted by DoubleD
    I know Art of War Central has an NY location that has Lightpath bandwidth in the mix, so for Optimum Online Subscribers your looking at sub 10ms pings.
    NAC has a peering relationship with Cablevision.
    Matthew Winship
    15 Minute Servers / Net Access Corp.
    www.15minuteservers.com
    www.nac.net

Originally posted by adb22791
    Alright I have a Peer 1 company in mind.
    Would these specs do it?

DUAL Athlon MP 2600s!
    1GB Registered PC2100 Memory
    1 x 80 GB Hard Drive
    2000 GB Bandwidth
    Those specs should work fine for what you plan on running.

Let us know how it goes.

Originally posted by NACmwinship
    NAC has a peering relationship with Cablevision.
    Yes, I did mention NAC is great for gameservers as well.

For Peer1, CV peers in Ashburn, so there is a good chance that if your on Peer1 and your customers are on Optimum Online, they are headed to VA and back.

Those specs would work great but also make sure that you are getting the best connection speed for your money. Make sure to check with the host to see what their connection speed is. Most of your game server companies use OC48 connections so you should not have a problem, but there a few out there that do try and use standard T1 connections and the transfer rate is slow and so your ping times will be slow. Also look at their equipment that they are offering as this will make a huge difference too. High rpm Hard Drives are the best such as 10,000rpm or above. Also make sure that the buffer memory they are using is not low. As this will create lags in the ability of the server to retrieve information to send to the clients that connect to your game server. There are more factors into a good game server, but I am sure that you will find a good east coast host as there are a few out there. Just make sure that you get the specs for their machines prior to signing with them as you may regret the decision later when your server gets about 16 to 20 people on it ands starts to lag badly and when you hit 32 and it slows to a crawl.
    Spyderhost Email contact: sales@spyderhost.support
    Shared & Cloud Hosting | WordPress Hosting | Dedicated Servers | VPS | Windows & Linux | cPanel

What about an LT dedicated?
    Do you think me (being on the east coast) would ping well from them?

I like their packages better than the other company I looked at.

They are texas... think 50-80 ping.
    15minuteservers is in NAC in NYC and has pretty good pricing on higher-end machines.

Wow I like the 15minuteservers packages and prices.
    I am interested in servers in chicago and virginia, mostly. NYC would definatly be fine.
    Anymore reccomendations?

Originally posted by TheNetCode
    Most of your game server companies use OC48 connections so you should not have a problem, but there a few out there that do try and use standard T1 connections and the transfer rate is slow and so your ping times will be slow.
    Slow transfer rate does not translate to high latency. However, if the T1s are saturated, then there could be high latency.

Wow I like the 15minuteservers packages and prices.
    I am interested in servers in chicago and virginia, mostly. NYC would definatly be fine.
    Anymore reccomendations?
    You can check out www.defenderhosting.com they have servers in CHI Equinix and ASH Equinix. They also have some NAC in their mix.

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Actually the problem comes in from the upstream total bytes available. On a T1 connection which is a good connection by all means for most applications on a game server of say 24 to 32 players you can have issues. It will depend on your total bytes that can be divided between all players on that server. If you are running Hallife Mod than most players upstream can typically be 10000bytes per sec but most admins will cap this at 3000 to 5000 to keep the system from lagging. The client will not notice a difference in game play most of the time as the ping rate they recieve will only appreciably increase. Most lag is caused by the server being overloaded with information going out which exceeds the server capacity to send information. Since each client and the server run on their server frame asynchronously it is impossible for a client to overload server. The server setup is to blame and the total badwidth available is exceeded because of this setup. Too many slots for system to handle with available resources. Dont get me wrong there are a lot of successful servers being run by very good admins out there that know what their system limit is. This can make the difference between a successful low ping server and a server no one uses. Other factors will also contribute to the low ping issue, but this seems to be one that many miss.
    Spyderhost Email contact: sales@spyderhost.support
    Shared & Cloud Hosting | WordPress Hosting | Dedicated Servers | VPS | Windows & Linux | cPanel

TBH a server spec which is around

XP3200
    1GB PC3200 Memory
    40GB Harddrive
    400GB Bandwidth Limit (I doubt you would use over 150gb)

Would do the job fine. Source is very very refind in CPU usage
    Clanplanet: Serving the gaming industry since 2004.
    > Game/Clan Servers, Teamspeak and Ventrilo
    > Dedicated Servers
    Want a new gaming POP in the UK? Low ping and Lag Free? Contact us.

You might be surprised... on our 32 man slot public we used 3 GB bandwidth in 3 hours...
    We use alot of custom maps and the server is always full. It's a zombiemod server
    DefenderHosting looks good. Hopefully their website will be up soon.
    So right now its...
    15minuteservers vs. ServerBeach vs. DefenderHosting
    I want the OS to be CentOS, since that is what I am familiar with.

Thanks for all the help guys,

You might be surprised... on our 32 man slot public we used 3 GB bandwidth in 3 hours...
    We use alot of custom maps and the server is always full. It's a zombiemod server
    DefenderHosting looks good. Hopefully their website will be up soon.
    So right now its...
    15minuteservers vs. ServerBeach vs. DefenderHosting
    I want the OS to be CentOS, since that is what I am familiar with.

Thanks for all the help guys,
    I suggest you e-mail sales@defenderhosting.com for their server deals. They certainly aren't cheap but, they rock!

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by ruiner
    Ezzi is not pure peer1, i wouldn't list them anywhere close to being peer1.

Superb has been good for me for east coast, and LiquidWeb is pretty solid too.

If you're looking for north east, I'd strongly suggest iWeb.ca.
    About half of all our traffic goes over peer1, what makes you say you wouldn't list us being anywhere near peer1?
    EZZI.net - A Service of Access Integrated Technologies Inc
    Running data centers, nationwide data network, and world-wide VoIP network.
    http://www.EZZI.net sales@ezzi.net

Originally posted by Take-IT-EZZI
    About half of all our traffic goes over peer1, what makes you say you wouldn't list us being anywhere near peer1?
    Most people wouldn't consider nearly 50% and 100% to be "near" each other... I believe they are simply stating it is not the same product offering, which is definitely the case.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

one suggestion, dont go with Level3 because they have so many problems with their peers

Originally posted by eliminate
    one suggestion, dont go with Level3 because they have so many problems with their peers
    We have been using L3 for over two years now without issue.. If you have specific reasoning behind your post I would love to hear it.

Try Strike Solutions. They are on Internap. I just referred a friend to them for a Dual Xeon and it was at the top end of your pricing, but inside nonetheless.

Thanks for all the help guys, Strike Solutions looks great.

I have been able to refine my budget and requirments in the past few weeks...

My new budget is now $230 per month. I cannot exceed this budget.

For the server itself I need...
    -A 100mbit port
    -Two 120GB hard drives (no RAID)
    -CentOS 3.x
    -Good tech support, but unmanaged
    -1000GB or more bandwidth
    -Edit: No control panel, I will be installing webmin myself
    -Edit 2: More than 2 IP addresses

To clarify on what I will be hosting...

3 Counterstrike Source Game Servers
    -32 slot public server, full 100%
    -24 slot public server, 30-40% full
    -12 slot private server, full only on weeknights (and usually only 2 or 3 weeknights per week)
    and a Ventrilo server.

Could I run everything above on a single high end P4 or Athlon, or do I need a Dual Xenon or Opteron box?

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate these reccomendations.

PS: I am currently on vacation, which should account for the delay in my response
    Last edited by Alex; 07-11-2005 at 11:16 PM.

Originally posted by eliminate
    Yeah, only real peering issue we've had with Level(3) has been with AT&T, and who hasn't had peering issues with AT&T, I know Savvis, Global Crossing, etc. have had issues with AT&T as well. That is AT&T's fault there...
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast