1490 domains on server

I have replaced the domain name with xxx. According to this, I am with hostgator and this shows that Hostgator has 1,490 domain names on one server. Is this correct or is this all their servers put together. If it is just the one server, then they must be overselling right. Can someone fill me in please.

XML Powered
    Whois Source

xxxxxxxxxx***********

SSL Cert: secure35.websitewelcome.com expires in 203 days
    Alexa Trend/Rank: Not Ranked
    Website Status: Active
    Reverse IP: Web server hosts 1490 websites (reverse ip tool requires free login)
    Server Type: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.3.11 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.22 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
    (Spry.com also uses Apache)
    IP Address: 70.84.121.130 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
    IP Location: - Texas - Dallas - Theplanet.com Internet Services Inc
    Blacklist Status: Clear - Last blocked 2005-02-15 (history)
    Cached Whois: Cached today
    Whois History: 2 records stored
    Record Type: Domain Name
    Monitor: Monitor or Backorder
    Wildcard search: 'xxx' or xxx in all domains.
    Other TLDs: .com .net .org .info .biz .us
    X [5 available domains]

Name Server: NS1.xxxx***********
    ICANN Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
    Created: 2005-02-23
    Expires: 2006-02-23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.xxx.COM
    NS2.xxx.COM
    Last edited by REVCOM-Lawrence; 07-11-2005 at 07:26 PM.

It is most likely that they either:

a) Have one server for DNS server that may represent entries for many separate web servers.
    b) Really need to clean up their DNS entries

It is not likely that they are actually hosting that many active accounts on one server. What did they say when you asked them?

I haven't asked them yet. I'll do that.

4. I wouldnt be surprised....
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

that has nothing todo with DNS

its that single IP hosting that number of domains
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Well if you go and look at the prices you may realize this is what needs to happen in order to make any money. I know it could be a quad xeon 3.4ghz with 80gb ram and (30) 400gb hard drives but its not..

I will say though for the price you are paying if your site is working the way you want and you are happy with the results why complain?

Originally posted by Bashar
    that has nothing todo with DNS

its that single IP hosting that number of domains
    How do you know?

this is how whois.sc works, it has a db with all com/net/org/info/biz/name and .us too from the registry using ZONEFILE access and then nslookup all domains for example www.example.com www.example.net www.example.org etc.. and then counts how many domains pointed to a single IP

for example http://whois.sc/69.20.37.114 (webhostingtalk's IP) has 5 domains pointed to it
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I'm not sure 1 ip necessarily means a single machine. A big hoster could put entire a cluster behind a load-balancing front end that appears to be a single system.

That setup would give you a lot of flexibility for simple shared hosting, especially if you had networked disk space like SAN.

This ip has 30,000+ domains on it.
    http://www.whois.sc/reverse-ip/69.49.96.8

Most appear to be fairly responsive, although I haven't found one that has anything but static html.
    Last edited by RoboGnome; 07-11-2005 at 11:54 PM.

Those stats are usually far from accurate however how many sites a server has irrelevant. A host could have one web site hosted on the server and it be crawling to a halt, or they could have 50,000 sites on the server and it be the fastest server in the world. All that really matters is the server load and that things are running smoothly.

I have come across quite a few resellers on $24.95 plans with over 1,000 parked domains. Of course 1k parked domains is not really going to do much of anything since they are not fully functional sites.

you should use webhosting.info instead of that whois.sc ...
    You don't have to register... don't have to pay... don't have to log in ... and you can see all the domains names for an ip,domain,dns or webhosting company ...

# of websites don't really matter.

For example - Check this out => http://www.whois.sc/69.25.142.3
    That IP is hosting 500k domains.

I think Host Gator have Dual Xeon Servers w/4GB RAM, that can handle good.

- Tomer
    Christmas time is among us, get your loved ones Designer Fragrances