cancelled a year of hosting though not getting any money back.

I'm a newbie to hosting problems like this.

I have a problem at the moment and that all started from my site being hosted on a host called host-vibe. I paid for a year of subscription of hosting and the server got hacked a month ago, so the webmaster moved us to another server owned by someone else. The server admin of the new server shut us down because we weren't paying for his services so we started paying for the new server admins service.

But what about the old (initial) host admin? I've now switched to his hosting since the old admin switched us to it but I've paid for a year of subscription which I only used for a few months. I've asked for the inital server administrator for my money back and he refuses to give a reimbursement, which means I'll be lossing something like 166 dollars of my money.

He is currently living in another country than I am.

Does anyone have some advice of what I should do?

Have you read their Terms of service? There should be some sort of refund policy.

You appear to have explained the situation reasonably well. If the new host cannot comprehend the situation and appropriately credit you then I would find a host you can trust. IMO it is all about trust and effective two-way communications when dealing with service providers.

Originally posted by coolyou007
    ...I paid for a year of subscription of hosting and the server got hacked a month ago, so the webmaster moved us to another server owned by someone else. The server admin of the new server shut us down because we weren't paying for his services so we started paying for the new server admins service....
    ... I've asked for the inital server administrator for my money back and he refuses to give a reimbursement
    There is so much that's wrong here, I wouldn't know where to begin.

The original admin just moved you without asking? Or did you cancel but he set you up with another admin anyway? Was the orginal admin supposed use the unused portion of your payment to pay the new web admin. did the orginal admin pay the new admin for the hosting but your account didn't get credited?

Sound like a complete lack communications between all parties.

Originally posted by WN-Ali
    Have you read their Terms of service? There should be some sort of refund policy.
    Currently his site is down, the site is host-vibe. Thus I don't have access to the TOS I signed up to. He says that he has affiliated with another company which he isn't telling me about because the owner of the account is another person who has given me permission on his behalf to deal with this matter and that agreement was said infront of the host admin who knew about this.

I signed up via paypal which I have already sent a invoice to the host admin, which the admin still refuses to pay my reimbusement.

EDIT:

There is so much that's wrong here, I wouldn't know where to begin.

The original admin just moved you without asking? Or did you cancel but he set you up with another admin anyway? Was the orginal admin supposed use the unused portion of your payment to pay the new web admin. did the orginal admin pay the new admin for the hosting but your account didn't get credited?

Sound like a complete lack communications between all parties.
    Yes the original admin just moved us without any consent by me and the other owner of the account. The original admin moved us to a another hosting company which he isn't paying for. The original admin is meant to be in charge of what server we're on and we're paying him that to do so with his hosting company that we signed up to and also did not pay the new admin for hosting.
    Last edited by rocket aerojet; 07-11-2005 at 07:51 PM.

Quite irresponsible, your old admin should at least pay for the hosting till the end of contract. You should do a charge back on this.

Does paypal allow these types of charge-backs? Gosh you are in a pickle and I think your only solution is to contact paypal and explain what has happened and see if you can do that charge-back.

Why are we seeing more of these things happening over the past few weeks? Or maybe I just just missed the old ones.

Good luck and please post what happens in the end. Maybe you can work something out with the new host/admin. That would be the best case if it can be done.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Originally posted by coolyou007
    Yes the original admin just moved us without any consent by me and the other owner of the account. The original admin moved us to a another hosting company which he isn't paying for. The original admin is meant to be in charge of what server we're on and we're paying him that to do so with his hosting company...
    If that's the case, then you have my sympathy.

You could present this to paypal as a case where the original provider "abandoned" you when your server had a significant problem. It seems clear that he had no intention of providing all the service you paid for.

I don't know how much good it will do but you can find whois info for host-vibe.net and host-vibe.com at
    http://whois.sc/host-vibe.net
    http://whois.sc/host-vibe.com

hostvibe.net (no hyphen) is a completely different company from host-vibe.net but the owner of host-vibe.net and host-vibe.com have a contact email address at hostvibe.net, which gives the appearance that he was trying to trade on someone elses name.

Good luck.

Originally posted by GWDGuy

Why are we seeing more of these things happening over the past few weeks? Or maybe I just just missed the old ones.

Robert
    Because all of the hosting is going down the drain. The market has been saturated with fly by the month hosts which are now shutting down.

The market is no longer reliable, unless you go with an established host that has been around for at least 2 years.

Originally posted by MegaGeo

The market is no longer reliable, unless you go with an established host that has been around for at least 2 years.

Sadly this statement is nothing but true it is too easy nowdays to start your own hosting company.

Because all of the hosting is going down the drain. The market has been saturated with fly by the month hosts which are now shutting down.

Well it is sad to see so many dropping like that, it hurts the whole industry. People think there is so much money to be made and it will just fly in the door if you rent a $50 server..

It takes many hours and much hard work and dedication.

Good luck I hope it works out in the end.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

$50 server where? just wait 20 kids with 50 to spare a month will now PM you

Market is just so saturated....I finally got 2 people to agree with me on something.

Also, the hosting software (control panels, billing, etc) had advanced to the point a couple of years ago where you didn't need to make a huge commitment in learning linux or programming, yet still put up a site that works well enough to take people's money.

What separates the men from the boys beyond just the technical know-how is having the organization and discipline and common sense to keep the business running.

Robo is so right. Years ago we didn't have every single thing automated and such like it is now.

coolyou007, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. When you can take a look at their Terms of Service that would be a good thing to do. Many hosts will not give you a refund after 30 days, and if it's in their TOS then you agree to that when you signup. I hope that's not the case because it sounds like they handled it all terribly.

The most fair thing to do would be to give you a refund for the months you were not given service. Hopefully that or something better will happen.

When you do a charge back, make sure you let paypal know that the service was not provide.

The conclusion to my mess was that I was to continue with his services, and use it until my months that I have paid for has been used up.

I'm going to use it for one of my own private sites but must admit they have provided me with hosting which I doubt anyone would ever want.

I guess I'm just dumb, a server got hacked so they moved the accounts to somebody else?
    Am I missing something or else why not just restore (and secure) the server or move the accounts to another one of your own?
    Why get some other company involved anyway.

At least you learned lesson #1: NEVER pay for a year until you have been with a host long enough to trust them for a year. Until then just pay monthly.

* THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, JUST COMMON SENSE!

First, see what your initial contract stated. If no contract, in the future always print the terms of the agreement! Then read it very, very carefully!

Secondly, research via the internet. See if other complaints or subjects are the talk of the Forums and Boards.

If criminal acts have occurred and the HOST OR SERVICE PROVIDER reside or operate in the United States, you indeed can utilize legal resources to help you.

If they (the HOST OR SERVICE PROVIDER) reside or operate outside the United States, there's usually not a thing that can be done. So make sure you do business with someone in the United States and use the WWW to research who you’re aiming to take your business to. One more thing, if they are a new HOSTING or SERVICE PROVIDER, be cautious, very cautious! IF IT LOOKS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, BECAUSE IT USUALLY IS, THEN ASK YOURSELF "IS IT WORTH THE STRESS?"

Last edited by wwwinfo; 07-18-2005 at 07:36 PM.