Advantage VPS over shared hosting?

Hello guys,

I will no try to argue what is better or not. Need some opinions on this.

My guys are testing VPS in last 3 months or so - and we are hiting wall with alot of problems that goes with administrating VPS.

There is much more work around VPS server then normal shared hosting server.

What is real advantage of VPS over shared hosting - what is real "edge" vps VS shared hosting.

If u can share any opinion and exp from first hand on this etc.

Thanks.

N.

As long as your hoster isn't overselling, Shared hosting can be just as good as VPS or dedicated. The difference is that your hoster will do all the extra maintaining work if you choose Shared. With a VPS or Dedicated machine, you need to do that yourself.

The disadvantage of Shared hosting is that packages usually are small, limited to a small amount of space and traffic. And if you find one that does offer bigger amounts, te hoster is often overselling. That means that they are selling more resources than they have, resulting in possible slowdowns of your site.

Originally posted by Siet
    As long as your hoster isn't overselling, Shared hosting can be just as good as VPS or dedicated. The difference is that your hoster will do all the extra maintaining work if you choose Shared. With a VPS or Dedicated machine, you need to do that yourself.

The disadvantage of Shared hosting is that packages usually are small, limited to a small amount of space and traffic. And if you find one that does offer bigger amounts, te hoster is often overselling. That means that they are selling more resources than they have, resulting in possible slowdowns of your site.
    HA! - thanks on info

But we are the one who is selling I am not talking about my provider. I was wondering - cause VPS are selling just nice - why people are goin there - if shared hosting is doin just nice in first place.

N.

Well, I would think that the only real advantages of a VPS over a shared hosting are :-

1) Require Root Access to install customized program

2) Ability to sell Reseller's accounts (if you are a web host)

Ah, I missed that

VPS has some extra features for the expirienced users. You get root access to the system, meaning that you can do basicly everything. While shared hosting is limited to only hosting files. (And limited in all sorts of ways by the hoster, ie, the hoster decides how PHP is configured. Or which webserver is used.)

And a VPS is usually choosen if a site 'grows out of' a Shared package, since those are usually small in Disc/bandwidth allotment. A VPS can have 40GB / 1000GB fairly easy, with lower costs than a dedicated server with the same specs

Originally posted by eddy2099
    Well, I would think that the only real advantages of a VPS over a shared hosting are :-

1) Require Root Access to install customized program

2) Ability to sell Reseller's accounts (if you are a web host)
    1.) root access to the end user is usual more problems then solution (more bad then good).

2.) u can do that eas with shared hosting

N.

Originally posted by Siet
    Ah, I missed that

VPS has some extra features for the expirienced users. You get root access to the system, meaning that you can do basicly everything. While shared hosting is limited to only hosting files. (And limited in all sorts of ways by the hoster, ie, the hoster decides how PHP is configured. Or which webserver is used.)

And a VPS is usually choosen if a site 'grows out of' a Shared package, since those are usually small in Disc/bandwidth allotment. A VPS can have 40GB / 1000GB fairly easy, with lower costs than a dedicated server with the same specs
    I dont see why u could not gate same amount of resources on shared hosting.

I agree u can do anything in VPS - cause it's almost like your server - (ofcourse).

But still I fail to see why so many people buy this VPS - cause at the end - they again have control panels etc installed on it.

Maybe people think VPS are more "COOL" then shared hosting.

N.

You can get the same amounts of space/traffic with Shared hosting. However, almost no hoster does offer these packages. And the ones that do (canaca.com ?) use massive overselling...thus I wouldnt trust my website to such hostingpackage

Next to that, if your site gets so big that it need more than 5GB / 50GB traffic (about the most Shared packages offer usually), you would probably want a bit more control over your site/server than a shared package can offer. Simply because a site that big usually generates a lot of revenue, and you cant afford any downtime.

I dont think its a matter of "coolness"....at least not for me. If i could host my sites on a shared package, which is cheaper than dedicated/VPS, I would really do so. But unfortunately that isnt possible due to all kinds of customisations I run.