Dedicated server questions

Hello, Im looking to buy a deticated server in chicago and I was wonder if you guys know any places to get good priced servers located in chicago. I want like a intel 3.0 or better or a amd 64 3000 or better or maybe even a dual amd xp. And also how many total slots of cs 1.6 do you guys think a amd 64 3400 1024ram could hold and would 800gb of bandwidth be enough if not how much bandwidth would i need? and also whats the best type of hard drive to get? And also is serveraxis.com good? sorry for all the question

FDC Servers is located within Equinix Chicago they a company you could look into. there are a ton of companies that are located in chicago or have a presence do a google search for Chicago dedicated servers or do a search here.

Thanks
    - James

Iv'e tried google but all I saw was insanly over priced server. I know server arent the cheapest but the servers I saw were crazy over priced the only decent one I saw was serveraxis.com.

what price range are you looking for and what quality of server and bandwidth are you looking for?

Thanks
    - James

steadfastnetworks.com fantastic network especially for gaming i hear, plus 800gb is plenty for your gaming server, and i would imagine on those sort of specs, 80 slots comfortably, so maybe 3x32 or 5x16 should be fine depending on the QoS you want fot those game servers.

https://steadfastnetworks.nozonenet....=p4-3.0&step=4
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

80 slots sounds nice and I want decent bandwidth and anything under 170 would be nice. And also how much bandwidth would 2 32 slot cs 1.6 servers and they were usually full? And does anyone know if serveraxis is any good? And what hardrive would be better SCSI or SATA and I know the SCSI but would it be faster mapp changes with it or what would be the benefits of getting a SCSI HD.
    Last edited by abercrombie_track; 07-11-2005 at 06:12 AM.

for map changes across multiple servers a HT P4 or dual-cpu option is best ( cause of the CPU spike caused during map loads )

SATA would be adequate for game server usage as the main benefit of SCSI would be seen primarily in intensive db / fileserving / logging apps, and as for game server map changes, it mostly a load-into-memory spike rather than accessing a load of files simultaneously.

Bandwidth wise- generally you should budget on an average throughput of about 15kb/s ( up+down) for each of your slots for peak usage, to avoid lag , so for 2 full 32 player servers, thats about 7-8MBit used in total, so if thats a 10MBit connection, make damn sure its full duplex, as it should be for any latency/bandwidth critical apps.

Bear in mind it would be highly unlikely that both servers would be full at the same time, so you may have more room in your bandwidth.

As for total monthly transfer, it would be no more than 10GB per day in my estimation, unless they are really full throughout the day

so a intel 3.2 HT would be better than an amd 64 3400?

not too familiar with amd cpu's but some games have problems on 64-bit systems if i remember correctly, plus if that amd is a single-cpu/core then if hosting a few game servers i would definitely go with the p4 HT model.

I would go with the 64bit AMD. It'll perform alot better.

Also, what OS are you running with it? There will be no problems by running a 32bit OS.
    It's Scott!

No way in hell would I pick the P4 3.2 over an AMD 64 3400+. The AMD would excel even in a 32-bit environment. Not to mention, HyperThreading really is not a big deal. It never really was a big deal performance wise, just a bunch of hype.

AMD 64 totally kills an Intel P4 without 64Bit.

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

HT often harms performance, HT is only good for multi-threaded applications, which if I recall most game servers are not.

that would be the point since any one server process would be maximised to a spike of 50% cpu

How does semperon 3200 compare to the Intel's

-- nick

Why do you need it to be in Chicago ? Your server might be somewhere else with cheaper prices...

And you might want to try HostQuote to get different quotes with your needs

I want it in Chicago because Im close to it and since its going to be a gaming server I want the lowest ping possible.

Can anyone else help me or have some opinions?