Recommend a switch

I'm looking for a 1U switch that will allow force 10/100mbit for customers and remotly shutdown a port (I guess a managed switch). Any recommendations?

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

What's your budget? If you want cheap, a 3COM 3226 is a good recommendation. Good quality.

I could recommend the Cisco 6500... might be a bit overkill in this situation tho

A Cisco 2950 would do you, or take a look on ebay for some of the 2nd user kit as thats pretty cheap.

Originally posted by Schumie
    I could recommend the Cisco 6500... might be a bit overkill in this situation tho

A Cisco 2950 would do you, or take a look on ebay for some of the 2nd user kit as thats pretty cheap.
    Is there some reason you think the original poster should use a 6500 for this? Cisco 2950 is my recommendation as well, but knowing WHT the person will not want to use Cisco due to cost. That being the case, there are a number of products out there from HP, Dell, 3com (as someone else suggested); but these are not, no matter what those companies try to tell you, switches appropriate for use in a datacenter environment.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

The Ciso 2950 is definitly in my price range. Why would you say the others aren't suitable as this is an reas I'm having to learn in

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Also look at the 2924-XL if you don't need gigabit uplinks. About half the price or less, than a 2950.
    bye

3com 4226t

If you are simply needing layer-2, the 3com 4226t is available for approx. $350. A very nice managed switch with 24 ports of 10/100 and a MDIX 10/100/1000.

Originally posted by vaserv
    The Ciso 2950 is definitly in my price range. Why would you say the others aren't suitable as this is an reas I'm having to learn in

Rus
    I'd have to vouch for a 2924-xl-en also, it will do the job if you dont mind an older (but cheaper, and from my experience, reliable switch [with the exception of counters rolling over fully on occasion]). Notably a 3500 will do this just as well, for less then a 2950 I believe (eg. 3524-xl-en), and they also have two GBIC ports to boot (though a reportedly higher failure rate then the 2900 series).
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

I'd say a 2950 would do the job.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

If you need a ton of ports you can pick up a 2948g on the cheap now (since they were recently EOL'd). 48 fast-e and 2 gbic uplinks.
    bye

The HP switches are a favorite among Beowulf builders. They've done quite well for us, too.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Originally posted by amps
    If you need a ton of ports you can pick up a 2948g on the cheap now (since they were recently EOL'd). 48 fast-e and 2 gbic uplinks.
    This may not be a good recommendation for someone who is unfamilar with CatOS. A cost savings of perhaps a few hundred dollars is not, in my opinion, a compelling reason to introduce someone who is not experienced with networking in general to a platform they are not familar with.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

Originally posted by jsw6
    This may not be a good recommendation for someone who is unfamilar with CatOS. A cost savings of perhaps a few hundred dollars is not, in my opinion, a compelling reason to introduce someone who is not experienced with networking in general to a platform they are not familar with.
    Agreed, but also consider, for someone new to networking in general, the base CatOS syntax is signifigantly easier to understand from a beginners point of view then the IOS syntax. The main downfall (aside from the fact that most people already know IOS) is the fact that you cant do a "sh conf" and copy/paste an entire setup .
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Originally posted by jsw6
    I looked but couldn't find where he said he was already familiar with any platform.

But I'll have to agree with porcupine that CatOS is much easier to grasp (at least initially) than IOS, although this has nothing to do with my recommendation.
    bye