Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romantic Movies

Romantic Movies

Some of you might think I'm too girly or something, but I'm truly a sucker for a good love story.

Lately (meaning in the past half a year or so) I've seen some great movies like "The Notebook", "Before Sunrise" and even "City of Angels". I also remember being very impressed a while ago by "The English Patient" and "Sense and Sensibility".

What I'd like to hear are some suggestions of other similarly impressive romantic/love story movies that are really worth to watch. Thank you in advance for all suggestions.

Dan posting in the Lounge?

I'm sorry Dan, I personally hate 'em I saw "The Notebook" for the first 10 minutes and had to get up and simply walk away. I am sure others will have some great suggestions though
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Originally posted by Tyler
    Dan posting in the Lounge?
    Yeah, I did a double-take too!

Not sure Baseball's your thing, but Bull Durham isn't too girly. A couple other good films which come to mind are Vanilla Sky, and High Fidelity with John Cusack is based on a best-selling British book.

Cameron Crowe (Vanilla Sky writer/director) made that other great film with Tom Cruise, but I can't think of the name, only "Show me the money!!!"
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Heh, I see my post came as a real surprise. It's been a while since I posted in the lounge, I must admit.

I saw "The Notebook" for the first 10 minutes and had to get up and simply walk away.
    Yes, usually there are usually only two ways with this kind of movies. You either love them or hate them.

Eric, thank you for the suggestions. I've seen Bull Durham and liked it. I know that my mother loved it though, 'cause Kevin Costner was a lot younger back when the movie was made.

I've also seen at least one of the other movies you suggested, back when I had HBO (and a lot of free time). I'm still trying to recall that other one; the plot sounds familiar. Keep them coming though, I'm sure there are plenty I didn't see.

you should see "50 First Dates", its a comedy/romance starring Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler. I gotta say the ending had me in tears.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by BigBison

Cameron Crowe (Vanilla Sky writer/director) made that other great film with Tom Cruise, but I can't think of the name, only "Show me the money!!!"
    That was Jerry Maguire, which was one I was going to suggest. Crowe also directed Say Anything a few years earlier and that's a great romantic movie as well. There are many worthy of noting, but one other that comes to mind is Serendipity with John Cusack. (I guess Say Anything reminded me of John Cusack movies or something...)

Jerry Maguire somehow didn't give me that "I'd really like to see it again" feeling, but it was OK.

Serendipity with John Cusack
    Excellent movie, I agree. My brother pointed it out to me a while back when... we had HBO.

I'll keep "Say Anything" in mind. Unfortunately, seing how it's a bit old, the chances to find it anywhere around where I live are quite remote. I have a hunch TV is the only place where I might see it... some time in the future.

I saw that "50 First Dates" has a great plot. I stopped reading it though; I don't want to ruin the experience of seing the movie.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    I know that my mother loved it though, 'cause Kevin Costner was a lot younger back when the movie was made.
    Same with a lot of guys, when Susan Sarandon was younger...

I could go on with a longer list, but I'll leave that to others now, after one more...

"25th Hour" starring Edward Norton, who can really act despite getting snubbed by the Academy.

What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams is really great..Try that

My all time fav romantic is "When Harry met Sally".

I've seen that a fair few times, and it brings back good memories of a certian time in my romantic life.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    "When Harry met Sally".
    Ugh. I saw that one at the cinema, with a girl, many years back before I was, you know.. world wise.

The 'orgasm' scene was pretty darn uncomfortable considering it was a few years away before I really knew what the heck that was all about. I was just lookin' fer a kiss and the movie seemed to push the whole thing way past where I thought I was going.

I mean, I got the kiss, but the whole thing left me kind of confused.

Having said that, there is a piece of cheese I enjoy, and I don't know why. It's called 'Fools Rush In'.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119141/

I have no idea why *honestly*, but I find myself enjoying it whenever I see it.
    Last edited by akashik; 07-11-2005 at 09:01 AM.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik
    . . . The 'orgasm' scene was pretty darn uncomfortable considering it was a few years away before I really knew what the heck that was all about. I was just lookin' fer a kiss and the movie seemed to push the whole thing way past where I thought I was going.

I mean, I got the kiss, but the whole thing left me kind of confused.
    LOL Greg.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Yeah I know... nothing like being a confused teen.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

i actually like this one

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0391304/

Garden State would be a pretty good date movie.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

Re: Romantic Movies

Some of you might think I'm too girly or something, but I'm truly a sucker for a good love story.

Me too, dont know why but i like a good romantic movie one that leaves you with the flowery feeling in your stomach at the end and the one that leaves you loving your family all the more..

Never told anyone that before must be growing up i suppose....

Thank you all for the suggestions. So far there are about 4 movies that I didn't see, out of which I have reasonable chances to find 2.

The 'orgasm' scene was pretty darn uncomfortable considering it was a few years away before I really knew what the heck that was all about. I was just lookin' fer a kiss and the movie seemed to push the whole thing way past where I thought I was going.
    Me too, dont know why but i like a good romantic movie one that leaves you with the flowery feeling in your stomach at the end and the one that leaves you loving your family all the more..
    Sincerity at its best. Well said guys!

The Way We Were
    Sleepless In Seattle
    When Harry Met Sally
    Gone With The Wind
    Pretty Woman

I'm not a big fan of romantic movies. They do in fact seem a bit "chick flick"-ey to me. But the odd time, I come across one that puts that lump in my throat.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I like the scenes between Dan Akroyd and Alexandra Paul as Sgt. Joe Friday and The Virgin Connie Swayles in Dragnet. They were meant to be a parody of romance, but Hollywood is so warped that their idea of a parody of romance actually seems to capture it.

I would recommend two Japanese titles:
    Hanochi
    Dolls
    But I suspect you can find English subtitled versions...

Also MUST add these two titles:
    La Vita è bella (life is beautiful)
    Forrest Gump (don't know how many people consider this as a romantic movie, but for me it was )
    Last edited by BurakUeda; 07-13-2005 at 09:43 AM.
    DigiPun.ch
    An Awesome Digital Punch Clock
    Release date: October 1st

I highly recommend:

Bridget Jones Diary (the first one... the sequel was good, but I was a little disappointed with it)
    50 First Dates
    How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
    Serendipity
    Kate & Leopold
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    Just Married
    While You Were Sleeping
    The Notebook
    As Good As It Gets
    Pretty Woman
    You've Got Mail
    Jerry Maguire

Has anyone seen Notting Hill?? thats one of my all time favorite movies..

Also, if anyone knows where to get the songs from that movie (OSTs).. pls tell me where to get them.
    Articles, Blog Posts, Content Development and Copy Writing
    Skype me or Please send a PM for Contact Information

Re: Romantic Movies

Lately (meaning in the past half a year or so) I've seen some great movies like "The Notebook", "Before Sunrise" and even "City of Angels". I also remember being very impressed a while ago by "The English Patient" and "Sense and Sensibility".

What I'd like to hear are some suggestions of other similarly impressive romantic/love story movies that are really worth to watch. Thank you in advance for all suggestions.

Man, I like to watch good movies. Even if rommance.

U should see my work - have 4 monitors - and usual one used for watching movies or shows - when I working. (or alse no time to watch anyway)

I liked the CITY OF ANGELS - was damn good.

here is something u will like alot - unless u already watch it.

Meet Joe Black - damn good movie if u ask me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119643/

Code 46 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0345061/

Also very good movie. Romance - sf - drama.

And one my FAVORIT !!! (in general not just rommance)

It's called CYPHER - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284978/

It's SF movie - but it's romance - it's a true love story, but cant tell u more really, cuase it's really really really really really really that good

U will like me after u watch that one

Have fun.

N.

My all-time favorite TV couple was Joe E. Ross and Beatrice Pons as Gunther & Lucille Toody in Car 54, Where Are You.

I loved the romance in "Uncle Buck"!!!!

"The Notebook" was good. I had to buy my wife her own copy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast