/help with host choice for nameserver/dns only

I need help with choosing two different hosts for my two nameservers for a dedicated server. I want to do all of my dns for the dedicated server with different hosts for redundancy and to also take the load off of my dedicated server (albeit small) My dedicated server will be a windows OS.

1) Will any of the shared hosting plans allow me to just host ns.mydomain.com and use it just for dns only?

2) Any specific ones that are recommended? How about some like site5.com or dreamhost.com? I don't want to spend alot, but I do want ease of use and reliabilty.

3) Will most hosts allow me to make unlimited dns entries? I will probably have 15-20 subdomains on my dedicated server all with dedicated IP's that I will want to make entries for.

4) Does it make more sense to pick a host with cpanel as opposed to some that have their own flavor of administrator panel?

5) Should I use a VPS for these or is normal shared hosting OK?

Any other recommendations for redundant dns for my dedicated server?

Thanks

1)Don't think a normal shared plan do it, you need at least a reseller plan but that would be an overkill with the extra features.

2)There are many DNS-only plans out there and they are very cheap. <<Self-promotion snipped.>>

3)I believe some do offer unlimited entries. <<Fluff snipped.>>

4)Cpanel is not for DNS hosting if i'm not wrong.

Last edited by ldcdc; 07-11-2005 at 06:22 PM.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

1) Is your service - managed DNS - essentially the same as so called third party DNS such as dnsmadeeasy and zoneedit? I'm just trying to understand the differences, if any.

2) With your managed dns, I don't use my own nameserver (ns.xyzcorp.com & ns1.xyzcorp.com) correct? Is there a disadvantage to this? I am not reselling my dedicated server so I suppose it shouldn't matter to me.

2) Can I control the ttl with your service?

Thanks for the info

rudyo, I'm not sure if it against the forum rules to talk about our service here so please email us instead.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

1) Is your service - managed DNS - essentially the same as so called third party DNS such as dnsmadeeasy and zoneedit? I'm just trying to understand the differences, if any.

2) With your managed dns, I don't use my own nameserver (ns.xyzcorp.com & ns1.xyzcorp.com) correct? Is there a disadvantage to this? I am not reselling my dedicated server so I suppose it shouldn't matter to me.

2) Can I control the ttl with your service?

Thanks for the info

Do you insist on having the DNS servers with your own domain?

Because if you don't, you can just move your domains to eNom and you will get full featured DNS hosting without any extra charges. They have 5 nameservers at different IP ranges (I'm not sure if the first four are in different datacenters, but the fifth is actually in The Netherlands).

Code:
    dns1.name-services.com 69.25.142.1
    dns2.name-services.com 216.52.184.230
    dns3.name-services.com 63.251.83.36
    dns4.name-services.com 64.74.96.242
    dns5.name-services.com 212.118.243.118
    Something you should also think about is the value of having the DNS servers still operational while the web server is down. Unless you have a dedicated email server(s) with the same reliability as the nameservers.

Otherwise, if everything depends on one machine, you might as well use it for DNS.
    Ahmad Alhashemi
    PHP, Apache, C, Python, Perl, SQL
    18 related BrainBench certificates

Both eNom and Godaddy have started offering dns-only hosting.

rudyo,

First off welcome to WHT. I believe you will be able to easily find dns-only hosting. Many providers would be able to handle such and even some will allow you to edit your zone file records directly. I would suggest you check around a bit for a host who will provide you with the best value/service/support.

Just remember to not always "judge a book by it's cover." There any many hosts around some fancier then others, however the front end of hosting may not look the best but quite often you may find a host that will behind their site have a great service so always do your homework when searching.

-Justin