Thread: General Advice

Post General Advice

Hi,

First of all, I would like to thank all the members of webhosting talk for all the excellent pieces of advice found on the forum , two hours ago I did not know a single thing about web hosting, and now I have just tested a forum on a free web host!

I am planning to start my own website in a few weeks with a domain I have already registered. After reading a lot about the Users of WHT posts and surfing the company's website, I came to a shortlist of three hosts that suits more my needs. They are as follows, in order of personal preference;

1) HostNexus
    2) WireNine
    3) 100 Webspace

I humbly request you to advise me in choosing a suitable webhost; I am willing to invest, at least for the first year a maximum of 100 USD. (Domain Registration already made). If ever you do know other better webhosts, feel free to inform me:

Here are my basic requirements for a future webhost :
    1) Min. 250MB webspace
    2) Min. 5GB Traffic
    3) pHp, mySQL enabled
    4) Min. 10 e-mail aliases
    5) Anonymous FTP
    6) Site Statistics & a really powerful Control Panel to monitor my website
    7) If possible, some nice extra features!

The site will be mainly directed towards space enthusiasts and will be free & no banners !

Thank you very much for your kind consideration !

Re: General Advice

Originally posted by yash07
    Hi,

First of all, I would like to thank all the members of webhosting talk for all the excellent pieces of advice found on the forum , two hours ago I did not know a single thing about web hosting, and now I have just tested a forum on a free web host!

I am planning to start my own website in a few weeks with a domain I have already registered. After reading a lot about the Users of WHT posts and surfing the company's website, I came to a shortlist of three hosts that suits more my needs. They are as follows, in order of personal preference;

1) HostNexus
    2) WireNine
    3) 100 Webspace

I humbly request you to advise me in choosing a suitable webhost; I am willing to invest, at least for the first year a maximum of 100 USD. (Domain Registration already made). If ever you do know other better webhosts, feel free to inform me:

Here are my basic requirements for a future webhost :
    1) Min. 250MB webspace
    2) Min. 5GB Traffic
    3) pHp, mySQL enabled
    4) Min. 10 e-mail aliases
    5) Anonymous FTP
    6) Site Statistics & a really powerful Control Panel to monitor my website
    7) If possible, some nice extra features!

The site will be mainly directed towards space enthusiasts and will be free & no banners !

Thank you very much for your kind consideration !
    Welcome to WHT Pretty much every web host can meet those requirements. I am not sure about the anonymous FTP though. We certainly don't allow that as there are security issues involved with it.
    Small Business Web Hosting with DOT45
    24/7/365 Technical Support; Windows Shared Environment; ColdFusion MX, ASP.NET, PHP, MS SQL, MySQL, Online Store Software, SiteBuilder, Secure Webmail via IlohaMail

aixagent,

How are there any security issue with a properly configured anonymous FTP?

yash07,

The one webhost I've been satisfied with so far is Hostrocket - check them out and see if they fit your requirements/pricing structure, if not hit me in the head!

Other than that:

You've got the steps right so you're almost ready to dance
    Just remember to keep doing more thorough research into each company you're considering: specifically their Terms of Service and prior track record here on webhostingtalk.
    Last edited by David; 07-10-2005 at 04:53 PM.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Originally posted by David
    aixagent,

How is there any security issue with a properly configured anonymous FTP?

yash07,

The one webhost I've been satisfied with so far is Hostrocket - check them out and see if they fit your requirements/pricing structure, if not hit me in the head!

Other than that:

You've got the steps right so you're almost ready to dance
    Just remember to keep doing more thorough research into each company you're considering: specifically their Terms of Service and prior track record here on webhostingtalk.
    How many web hosts isolate their anonymous ftp servers from the same machine that is doing the shared hosting? I simply wouldn't personally throw my eggs in that basket as there can also be abuses with anonymous ftp.
    24/7/365 Technical Support; Windows Shared Environment; ColdFusion MX, ASP.NET, PHP, MS SQL, MySQL, Online Store Software, SiteBuilder, Secure Webmail via IlohaMail

Re: Re: General Advice

Originally posted by aixagent
    Welcome to WHT Pretty much every web host can meet those requirements. I am not sure about the anonymous FTP though. We certainly don't allow that as there are security issues involved with it.
    Thank you for your information, but if there is security issues with anonymous FTP. I don't mind doing without.

Regards.

Yash

Originally posted by aixagent
    How many web hosts isolate their anonymous ftp servers from the same machine that is doing the shared hosting? I simply wouldn't personally throw my eggs in that basket as there can also be abuses with anonymous ftp.
    As far as I know - none.
    Theres no need to isolate any services onto alternate machines if they're properly configured.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Yeah Host Rocket does seem fine also, I do think you are right ; extensive research about the company and their services.

Thanx David!

Originally posted by David
    As far as I know - none.
    Theres no need to isolate any services onto alternate machines if they're properly configured.
    I'm not going to argue about this. We'll just stay at differing opinions. I personally don't believe in offering anonymous FTP, and neither do the security consultants who have done audits for us in the past.

I was wondering whether you could tell me what kind of interesting features we can obtain with paid webhosts? I mean any specific outstanding feature to a particular webhost.

I do hope I am not bothering any of you.

Thank you in advance

yash07,

Truthfully: Theres normally a few benefits.

One: most hosts give you a greater variety of software you can install (more space, bandwidth, room to grow), domain name (most freehosts will just give you a subdomain: yourname.theirname.com or theirname.com/yourname/

Most free hosts won't give you any "real" e-mail addresses - i.e.: [email protected].

You won't get the full picture unless you choose the right one so be sure to do your research!
    Last edited by David; 07-10-2005 at 05:11 PM.
    David

I was wondering whether you could tell me what kind of interesting features we can obtain with paid webhosts? I mean any specific outstanding feature to a particular webhost.

I do hope I am not bothering any of you.

Thank you in advance
    It depends. Some services offer additional software for building websites like Blue Devil, SiteBuilder, etc. It's good for individuals who are looking to build a website right off of the web without too much knowledge of HTML, etc. Hosts often tend to offer forum software like phpBB or Invision or vBulletin. Or online store software like Miva or osCommerce. It varies from host to host, it's best to do a comprehensive review of the host, look around, and ask questions to them to see if they meet your requirements, etc. Good luck in your search.

Thanxs, again to both of you.

yash07,

Anytime!
    Let us know if you have any other questions.
    David

yash07,

I think this article will help you understand the difference between paid and free web hosts in great details. You should take a look at it, great comparison between the two types of hosting. Includes pros and cons.

For starters, most free hosts require you provide a link/banner to their homepage, that itself takes away all appeal to many users.

What if your webhost's server falls? You can't complain because your receiving the service for free.

Usually this is true about anything - "You get what you pay for".

I wish you the best of luck with any webhost you choose!

- Tomer
    Christmas time is among us, get your loved ones Designer Fragrances

WN-Ali,Tomer - Thank you for the information, but maybe i have not expressed myself correctly before; I do want a paid host, but the only problem is with choosing one! THere are so many - and for some the small prints are rather disturbing, while others seems too perfect!!! I am still digging all the resources available here on webhosting talk! It is indeed a real mine of information!

WN-Ali,Tomer - Thank you for the information, but maybe i have not expressed myself correctly before; I do want a paid host, but the only problem is with choosing one! THere are so many - and for some the small prints are rather disturbing, while others seems too perfect!!! I am still digging all the resources available here on webhosting talk! It is indeed a real mine of information!
    Take your time choosing, it'll be worth it later.

One tip I may give you on choosing hosts. Don't pay yearly, make sure you have an option to pay monthly - That will save you much money if the host turns out to be lousy.

Good Luck!

- Tomer
    Christmas time is among us, get your loved ones Designer Fragrances

yash07,

As Tomer already mentioned, best to stick with the monthly payment terms.

One thing you should also remember, no matter what web host you choose always backup your website/data. You will find that many web hosts offer nightly/weekly backups, but they only restore web sites incase of a server issue. Just remember to always keep a personal backup of all your data.

Best of luck with your search, and I hope you find the host that you are looking for

thanx for the information, I think that you are right. I have read extensively about web hosting and I guess monthly payment terms is better, btw can anyone of you suggest me what is the best / average hosting plan you can get for USD 15 / per month?

Another question is private registration a sensible thing? I mean will my personal information be really secure with those type of registration?