Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3 windows patches comming tues.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5778406.html

Heh,anyone care to install that stupid gator crap??

http://news.zdnet.com/5208-1009-0.ht...32968&start=-1 (Heres 1 message about Gator someone posted)

I wouldnt be surprised if this patch makes it easier for MS to control gator on your computer.......

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

i never auto update windows ;P
    Visit |█| ByteSizeHost |█| For all of your SSD Web hosting needs!
    ByteSizeHost. The Ryte Size. Owned and operated out of Dillon, CO, USA.
    Proud to be a member of the wonderful WebHostingTalk community.

Screw that with a stick of 4" PVC pipe.

I'll stick with Windows 2000 SP1 (no updates).

But, at least I see me cleaning a lot of people's machines in the coming future.

Re: 3 windows patches comming tues.

Originally posted by The Dude
    I wouldnt be surprised if this patch makes it easier for MS to control gator on your computer.......
    That thread you linked to states no facts and no information of any value - just hyperbole - kind of like this thread of yours.

I'm glad to auto-update my Windows system. I've always done it, and never had any issues with it.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Oh My! 3 Window Patches! What is the world coming to! Oh the humanity.

Re: 3 windows patches comming tues.

I was right!!

Gator install?
    So it is going to patch Windows at the core to allow Gator to install even if you do not use IE as your browser?

The worst part of the joke is, you have to patch IE even if you do not use it because of the integration that you are not allowed to undo. What moron thought it would be okay to let every Tom, Dick and Harry into the core of the OS when users browsed web pages?
    Posted by: klmmicro
    (from a thread there)

Bunch of losers!!

I don't see how these patches have anything to with Gator. The thread you posted is from somebody that is pulling facts out of thin air.

The Microsoft Antispyware program is something different than these updates. And MSAS only Ignores Claria/Gator by default. It still detects it though.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

What's "Gator"?
    ·· Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ··
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Gerrr i hate it, windows never will be bug free, need to learn from linux

I auto-update and will continue to do so.

Originally posted by Pheaton
    What's "Gator"?

Originally posted by The Napster
    Originally posted by Pheaton
    What's "Gator"?

AFAIK, Gator is ad software loaded with Spyware. MS recently purchased their company.

Re: Re: 3 windows patches comming tues.

I was right!!

Gator install?
    So it is going to patch Windows at the core to allow Gator to install even if you do not use IE as your browser?

The worst part of the joke is, you have to patch IE even if you do not use it because of the integration that you are not allowed to undo. What moron thought it would be okay to let every Tom, Dick and Harry into the core of the OS when users browsed web pages?
    Posted by: klmmicro

(from a thread there)

Bunch of losers!!

Oooook so you quote a post at a message board from a paranoid user and think its the gospel truth, then you come here and use it as evidence lol what a joke.

Show some real evidence of what your saying and i like others may believe you but until then i will continue to use auto update i have not come to any harm yet and i doubt i will.......

Originally posted by Rob83
    Oh My! 3 Window Patches! What is the world coming to! Oh the humanity.
    Can't imagine whats next
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Originally posted by MGCJerry
    Screw that with a stick of 4" PVC pipe.

I'll stick with Windows 2000 SP1 (no updates).

But, at least I see me cleaning a lot of people's machines in the coming future.
    Only SP1? Ouch...
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Only SP1? Ouch...
    Im on 98se and i think its the best OS out there

Im on 98se and i think its the best OS out there
    We are still waiting for this mythical evidence your going to show us that does not involve posts from message boards .....

From a friend who DID NOT INSTALL ANY OF THE 3 UPDATES,here is 1 of them that looks suspicious

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-036
    Vulnerability in Microsoft Color Management Module Could Allow Remote Code Execution (901214)

Issued: July 12, 2005
    Version: 1.0

Summary
    Who should read this document: Customers who use Microsoft Windows

Impact of Vulnerability: Remote Code Execution

Maximum Severity Rating: Critical

Recommendation: Customers should apply the update immediately.

Security Update Replacement: None

Caveats: None

Tested Software and Security Update Download Locations:

Affected Software:

• Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 – Download the update

• Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 – Download the update

• Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition – Download the update

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 – Download the update

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems – Download the update

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition – Download the update

• Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (ME) – Review the FAQ section of this bulletin for details about these operating systems.

The software in this list has been tested to determine whether the versions are affected. Other versions either no longer include security update support or may not be affected. To determine the support life cycle for your product and version, visit the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Web site.

Executive Summary:

This update resolves a newly-discovered, privately-reported vulnerability. The vulnerability is documented in the “Vulnerability Details” section of this bulletin.

A remote code execution vulnerability exists in the Microsoft Color Management Module because of the way that it handles ICC profile format tag validation.

If a user is logged on with administrative user rights, an attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could take complete control of an affected system. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights. Users whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less impacted than users who operate with administrative user rights.

We recommend that customers apply the update immediately

Notice how they have 98se listed?? I thought they ended support for 98!!! Why are they all of a sudden issuing this???

I think (And he does also) this is an attempt to get gator onto peoples computers THE EASIAST WAY POSSIBLE.....

Edit: Microsoft is still supporting updates for CRITICAL issues on Windows98, per their product end of lifecycle page. But I don't see how any of this connects to Claria / Gator at all.

Edit #2: The Win98 patch is for Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1, which IS still supported by Microsoft. The operating system itself isn't however. Sorry for the confusion, the bulletin was hard for me to understand
    Last edited by Mike V; 07-13-2005 at 03:39 PM.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Just use caution,we dont wanna fall into M$'s hands!!

You guys are all nuts with your conspiracy theories, there is nothing to worry about.

Gator is now owned by Microsoft???

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Originally posted by azizny
    Gator is now owned by Microsoft???

Peace,
    Nope, Microsoft has been in talks to possibly purchase Claria but so far that hasn't gone through. At least I can't find anything on either site about it.

Im wondering if the deal would be made public or not........

Hmmmm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast