MySQL bandwidth between servers

I've currently got 2 dedicated servers, one of which is a MySQL server and the other PHP - both are connected over the internal network which is charged per GB... Both are running Win2003 Server @ ThePlanet.

My problem is that the MySQL traffic between servers is going to cost me loads! Well over 2000GB

I heard that I can compress the MySQL information somehow, but I don't know how I can do this. Could anyone advise me on this please?

ThePlanet is charging you for server-to-server bandwidth? I'd just move somewhere else... As far as I know, there are plenty of providers that don't charge for this.

I think if I'd set them up at the same time I'd be ok, but as there servers are in different places they go through loads of routers and clock up charges.

I don't want to shift to another host if possible as they have been [b]really[b/] good so far.

If I could get the MySQL bandwidth down I should be ok, as I imagine it can compress easily.

Can you ask the planet to relocate you onto the same subnet? You may find that they have space and can accomodate you. Seems a reasonable request unless of course that specific subnet/ location is totally full.

Are you willing to have them in the same vlan ie use up one of your exiting IP's?

Ask them specifying what your trying to acheive and they should be accomodating, if they aren't then ...
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

I too think a Vlan would be best here.
    Your Mysql data is not something that you want to just put through the internal network of ThePlanet. It can contain very sensitive information and such. Using a Vlan, it will be shielded, and only visible by your other server. So that is an extra piece of security.

You might even want to encrypt the data.
    I think that I would only put my mysql data unencrypted through an ethernetcard if it is directly connected (Cross-cable) to the other server. (Something that should be possible @ the planet. Might cost a few bucks (two extra ethernet cards & re-placement of the servers)...but I think it will be worth it for sure )

How would I go about setting up a VLAN for Win2003 at TP, is it quite easy to do?

If your network card supports it, yes. Can be found somewhere in the card's properties (Not the IP properties, but the hardware properties).

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but windows used to only have support for 1 Virtual lan per NIC. So that means that you will have to add an extra NIC. However, could be that the server versions on windows already fixed this problem, sot hat you can setup a Vlan on your main card

You should ask them to connect you to a private switch. If you go through their switch to get to another server it's going to be counted period. You may have to pay a relocation fee and a monthly charge on the switch but then you won't have to worry about the bandwidth between the servers.
    James Lumby

Looks like I'll have to go for that option then, I hope its not too expensive to do!

I don't think it is, it's generally a small monthly fee..
    James Lumby

I'm sure they can do it for little fee. Else, just find another provider