Thread: Dns Problems

Dns Problems

This is a bit of a strange problem i have with my server.
    I register all .co.uk domains and i used to register .com domains with www.heartinternet.co.uk all of the domains were pointing to our nameservers ns1.nd-hosting.co.uk and ns2.nd-hosting.co.uk which is in the ezzi.net data centre at long island.
    Heart internet recently moved data centres and as a result changed all domains to point to there nameservers and then back to our nameservers. This has caused some isp's to now have out of date dns records for our domains.
    Now the real problem we have is that for some reason domains that are on the server that arent registered with heart internet are pointing to there ip's as well. I have checked the dns zone records on the server and they all point to the correct ip's.
    Can anyone shed any light on this as i am totally baffled by what is happening.

Nick

Have you looked at a dnsreport.com on your domain? Shows:
    ns2.mainnameserver.com. [82.110.105.3 (NO GLUE)] [UK]
    ns.mainnameserver.com. [82.110.105.2 (NO GLUE)] [UK]

[These were obtained from ns6.nic.uk]

Instead of your own ns1/ns2.nd-hosting.co.uk, so if the other domains also show this instead of where they *should* be, then you need to login to your admin account at heartinternet and verify/change the all the domain's nameserver records to the proper values.

Also I just ran a report on your ns1 and got:

[ERROR: The parent servers say that the domain ns1.nd-hosting.co.uk does not have any NS records (although they may have some other information on that zone). I can not do a DNS report on a hostname (such as mail.example.com) or a domain name that does not have its own zone.]

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes the reason that now shows those nameservers is i clicked the a wrong button by mistake and now i cant get it back to the correct nameservers at the registrar. I have contacted support at heart internet but guess what they dont reply. i have now decided to move all domains to 123.reg as the service i have just received over the last few days from heart has been terrible.
    what my main concern is, why do domains that have nothing to do with heart internet show there ip's? That is what is baffling me. It is almost like it is cross infected. a good example is abtuk.co.uk that domain isnt registered through heart internet but shows there ip's.

Nick

I think it is because you probably had your domain's nameservers on abtuk.co.uk and now that heart has changed all of their registered domains (and nameservers it appears) which includes *yours*, the IP addresses for *your* nameservers are now associated with 82.110.105.2 and .3 (which I am assuming are not correct).

dnsreport.com for abtuk.co.uk:
    ns1.nd-hosting.co.uk. [82.110.105.2 (NO GLUE)] [UK]
    ns2.nd-hosting.co.uk. [82.110.105.3 (NO GLUE)] [UK]

[These were obtained from ns6.nic.uk]

That domain is still showing the proper 'name' for the nameservers, but the IPs are currently being associated (from ns6.nic.uk) with the wrong IPs which were submitted by heart.

This is assuming that those IPs are not correct for your primary domain.

When i checked the a records for the nd-hosting.co.uk domain they did show ns1.nd-hosting.co.uk as 66.199.250.34 and ns2.nd-hosting.co.uk as 66.199.250.35
    The people at heart internet are absolutley useless for any help. I certainly am not going to touch them with a barge pole now. they have really caused me some major headaches and lost me lots of money. As well as money that my clients have lost.

Nick

I have now managed to move the nd-hosting.co.uk domain to 123-reg and have been able to change the nameservers for that domain to the correct nameservers of ns1.nd-hosting.co.uk and ns2.nd-hosting.co.uk both with the correct ip's.

Now you just have to wait for it to propagate.... and check all your hosted domains DNS's as well to make sure they all show ns1.nd-hosting.co.uk (again may have to wait for propagation for any wrong IPs to be corrected)

Ah, now all the NSA.NIC.uk nameservers are giving your 66.199.250.34 and .35 IPs (I assume these are the new ones from 123-reg?) or are these the IPs from heart?? (I'm so confused now)

Thanks for the help james. All of the domains are now showing the correct nameservers with the correct ip's. I just cant believe that heartinternet had made such a **** up, definatley a company to steer clear of in the future.

Nick

Cool ! Glad it's all working now. Yes, there are (too) many bad ones out there!