Why do some people always assume a small host will be bad?

Granted, some of them will rip you off & such, but that doesn't mean that's the case with ALL of them.

I'm with a small host & I have never had any shady issues with them or anything like that.
      0 Not allowed!

What host do you have?
      0 Not allowed!

Not all of them is bad , prob is it takes just a few bad apples to spoil the rest's reputation. Small hosts have to work extra hard to distinguish themselves, but I think the fruits of labour is worth the efforts.
      0 Not allowed!

Some people actually prefer small hosts because they'll only have one or two support reps that will remember who you are. There's a good reason so many of those mom and pop web hosts (not the kiddie ones) stay in business

The site in your profile isn't available BTW.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.
      0 Not allowed!

Well you do know what they say outta that one....
    Assuming is making an *** out of you and me. So, well on that note many do not wish to properly research and decide to form inaccurate conclusions not based on fact only speculation. It really depends on the person though and there are many who see the value to being with a smaller host (non-oversold/overcrowded servers, more personal approach to support, the list goes on).

Yes sure there is always going to be the bad eggs and as such everyone needs to remember this and do their homework when moving to a new host. Nobody wishes to be burned multiple times, thus why you simply need to properly research into options put forth before you.

Just a generalized two cents on this.

-Justin
      0 Not allowed!

The generalization is based on the fact that many are run by some pretty young teenagers. Small webhosts can be run by a single person and if he is at school or sick the support is nonexistent until he gets back. Many are going to be hard working eople but as with everything else in life if 99 hosts are good and 1 is bad you are going to hear about that 1 bad one a lot more then the 99 good hosts.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by eth00
    The generalization is based on the fact that many are run by some pretty young teenagers. Small webhosts can be run by a single person and if he is at school or sick the support is nonexistent until he gets back.

Replace school with work. Pretty similar situation. Get a bum such as myself, and you get all of the support you can dream of
      0 Not allowed!

Storagedump,

And then you'll run into monetary problems.
    All of a sudden one month you can't afford one of your servers: What then?

Be very wary of new hosts, "small" one man hosts and anything in between. Research and you'll do fine.

[Note added for artiefish: When I mean small, don't expect 24/7 from a one-man operation (you can still expect immediate responses to emergencies - gotta love pages/blackberries/notifiers of sorts.. again just do your research and you'll be fine!]
    Last edited by David; 07-10-2005 at 01:20 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by David
    Storagedump,

And then you'll run into monetary problems.
    All of a sudden one month you can't afford one of your servers: What then?

Be very wary of new hosts, small hosts and anything in between. Research and you'll do fine.
    Now that's a nasty attitude. I'm a small host, have been for 2 years and I have no plans to go out of business anytime soon. I could be a LARGER host, but I CHOOSE to stay small for the time being so that I WON'T be forced to go out of business or provide poor support. I have very satisfied clients.

I'm not saying this to toot my horn, only to show that as in sex, it's not how big you are, it's what you do. Just because a host is large, doesn't in anyway make them "better" or a "safer" bet. I can probably name at least a dozen that have totally horrible reps and nothing but thread after thread of complaints.
      0 Not allowed!

ArtieFishill,

When I say "small" hosts - I relatively just mean new hosts.
    There are lots of small corner stores that are doing just fine financially.

My apologies - nothing wrong with "small", but be wary of new ones either way. If they have a proper business plan in place they have at least less chance of failing during the first year but new companies already have the odds against them: 50% will fail in the first year.
      0 Not allowed!

Yup. I'm in the same boat. I could grow to the point of the larger staff, but I'm perfectly content with working with my clients on more than just hosting, where they may never hear from me.

It's more of a B2B model where we assist them in exceeding, but this goes along with David's post...we thought it through carefully.

We hope to remain close in the way that we have been with our clients in the last three years. Clients get quicker personalized responses and very attentive support with a real person.
    Ashworth Consulting
    Dedicated Servers / Reseller Web Hosting / Web Hosting
    Network: The Planet, TX
      0 Not allowed!

I don't know those people who always asume that and their reasoning, but I do know that it is often very hard or impossible to find out any type of feedback on a small (or new) host.

One can test support, send presales emails etc., but that can help only so much...
      0 Not allowed!

To add to that, I guess what I really meant to say was that it can be a positive thing too. Smaller hosts (whether new or not) can tend to be a little more "there" than that of larger companies.

Newbie web hosters out there may need a little extra hand holding which smaller hosting companies may be able to offer more than the larger guy.

Sound about right?
    Ashworth Consulting
      0 Not allowed!

ashworth102680,

Not necessarily always the case.
    powerVPS, servINT - large companies but always (almost always) willing to go out of the way for their clients.

Not every large host turns their client into a number, but not every smaller host will have the time to deal with each client on a one on one basis.

It really is a 'hit or miss' type thing.
    Even though some of the small new hosts are willing or ready to go out of their way for their new clients doesn't mean they're still going to exist in a year: what then?

(The same thing can happen to large hosts as well - theres just less of a chance of it in my opinion)
      0 Not allowed!

I agree, some companies that I work with provide very responsive support and "listen" to the client, for the better of the business. This is sort of my take on the business, though.

I have grown from listening and learning what the customer wants. I have found, in the companies that I have dealt with, that most larger ones will tend to spread out time a little more, rather than focus directly on your issues sometimes.

It really does differ per business though and its commitment to its clients...that's key.
    Ashworth Consulting
      0 Not allowed!

Just like some people who generalize about everything - it is wrong. Whether it is busying a product or choosing a web host, a person should do research before making purchase. Size does not always matter.
      0 Not allowed!

Some people are afraid that the Small Hosts can shut down their business anytime & take their data with them.

They also suspect the quality of Support.

But, on the contrary Small Hosts work extra hard to satisfy their customers.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
      0 Not allowed!

...Small Hosts work extra hard to satisfy their customers.
    I agree completely. If I'm not, they usually know how to find me
    Ashworth Consulting
      0 Not allowed!

there will always be ups and downs. 5 or 10 dollars is not that much money, its not a big deal. things you should do with a small or large host anyways: back your data up.
      0 Not allowed!

There are many great small hosts around! Quite a few of the larger hosts you see now on WHT started out small, as we all do. I think the key to investing in any company, large or small, is to speak with them first, realize what their goals are and see if they match your own.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by JSpired
    There are many great small hosts around! Quite a few of the larger hosts you see now on WHT started out small, as we all do.
    Correct.

Many big things have started out in a Small way initially.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
      0 Not allowed!