Instant Messenger support

may i get some suggestions on what would be the best multi-protocol instant messenger client that i could use to provide support with?

ive heard a few eg trillian, gaim but would like some recomendations.

-thanx, DaDevil

Trillian or Gaim works just fine.

Personally Gaim suits me better, but to each his own. Both work quite well.

are there any defining diffrerences?

Hi!
    I use trillian...but not as a support venue. I'm trying to phase out chat altogether. I have seen a host manage a helpdesk with reasonable ticket response times...and that's all they honestly need.

Chat wastes too much of my time. Happily, I've seen it's use go down almost to nil...not because I'm being mean or anything...it just has happened.

Bryon

Trillian Pro is excellent in Windows. With Linux, I use GAIM.

Trillian's interface is IMHO the best of all the Windows clients. GAIM is nice, but the interface is still important to me.

hmmm i see are these the two main ones? or are there any other good ones you could recommend?

ok i downloaded aim and trillian, trillian is quite nice my only objection is the text is a tad small, but gaim on the other hand i cant even log in. It keeps telling me that authentication failed

I hear that using AIM's messenger service for commercial purposes is illegal, is this true?

Originally posted by XippeR
    I hear that using AIM's messenger service for commercial purposes is illegal, is this true?
    Where'd you hear that? That's quite interesting.

We just stopped providing IM support. I find live chat is much better because it's more organized and everything is logged.

I just skimmed the TOS and could not find anything regarding commercial use.

DaDevil, there are dozens of other clients, however, they are not as reliable as Trillian or Gaim -- again, IMHO. http://miranda-im.org is another popular one, though I would choose Trillian over it. (I haven't tried version 0.4 though)

I love:

http://miranda-im.org/

I tried trillian the other day, it got uninstalled within about 10 minutes
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

we use Trillian pro here

We've been using Yahoo Instant Messenger for years now and works great. Mostly due to the fact of the Voice feature. Saves a lot of time (and typing) when having to explain something in a lot detail and being able to "talk" about it. Also saves quite a bit on long distance Phone bills.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Originally posted by Website Rob
    We've been using Yahoo Instant Messenger for years now and works great. Mostly due to the fact of the Voice feature. Saves a lot of time (and typing) when having to explain something in a lot detail and being able to "talk" about it. Also saves quite a bit on long distance Phone bills.

one word that helps , Vonage

hmmmm thanx guys ill check out miranda.

I use MSN now, but have used Trillian in the past. It worked fairly good.

But like bryonhost1, we are phasing it out. I have found Support Tickets to be a better way of managing support. Sometimes I will suggest we move to MSN or AIM to walk the customer through a problem. But customers (especially younger ones) will IM you for just about anything.

MSN works great

lol im going to be targeting a younger age group so do you think IM support would be a good idea?
    I thought at first that it would since nearly all of todays youth uses some IM client.
    But then again they do get annoying etc.
    Should i offer IM support?

If you are targeting a younger age group, IM support helps a lot.

The younger customers seem to prefer IM. I have a couple that will not submit a ticket. They just wait for me to log into MSN and then tell me any problems. The only time it becomes an issue is if they have a real problem and I am not sitting in front of the computer.

And that is my #1 problem with IM support. You must be in front of the computer or they "think" you are not around to support your customers.

Microsoft Office Communicator 2005
    eMegaWeb.com - Everything you need to build your web site

Why force your customers to download a separate program in order to chat with you? I've never quite understood this. Wouldn't it be better to offer a chat feature that allowed your customer to come to your site, click on an icon and get live support?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Tina,

I'd like to think of it this way... Why force them to go out of their way & visit a chatroom, when you can be added to their IM contact list (which they use daily.) I'm sure the ones who use IM find it a lot more convenient than visiting a chatroom.

Why cater to a small percentage of potential customers when you can offer the same thing to everyone?

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Definitely Trillian!

I never liked the idea of IM support. These IM softwares such as MSN or ICQ were never designed for support.

It becomes very difficult to manage and support a large customer base over IM. But if you instead look at a professional web-based live-chat system such as livePerson, it becomes more easier and organised. The productivity of your staff is also higher
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

I would have to agree with others when it comes to live chat as long as you do it right as some people dont like having a window pop up with some sales guy trying to talk to you.

Thanks
    - James

A few of the multi-network IM applications: (some already mentioned - just listing the ones I use)

gAim -- the best, although that mouseover bug can get annoying!
    Trillian -- thieves, but great product.
    Miranda -- great product, although I never liked the UI too much
    IM2 -- has potential, I absolutely hate the UI

With all that said: I really don't like the idea of providing official IM support. I do happen to allow clients the option of having me on a buddy list but I'll tell them upfront that they will not be getting any support via IM unless it's a simple 'yes or no', and there won't be any time guarantees.

Why? Because: a ticket system does it a whole lot better and allows for multiple representatives to work on issues.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Originally posted by David

Why? Because: a ticket system does it a whole lot better and allows for multiple representatives to work on issues.

IRC is great for multiple representatives as well as a decent browser interface, so the client doesn't have to download anything. IRC is a great tool to use WITH a HelpDesk ticket system.

--Tina

AH-Tina,

Thats also a great point.
    It could be integrated with a proper script that outputs private chats into a ticket system as well, although IM could as well it seems like a major development headache.

Getting to know every client on a personal level is great - certainly doesn't hurt to be friendly with every client on a daily basis.

The only other issue I would be concerned with in a company with multiple representatives is "what are they really chatting about" - in a support system you can keep a good eye on it - as reps. give out personal contact information, start ircing with clients, who knows what goes on.

Although every representative you have working for you should be trusted, I'm sure things can go wrong and have in the past.

Note: Not all a direct response to you Tina! good point nonetheless.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Originally posted by David
    AH-Tina,

Thats also a great point.
    It could be integrated with a proper script that outputs private chats into a ticket system as well, although IM could as well it seems like a major development headache.

Getting to know every client on a personal level is great - certainly doesn't hurt to be friendly with every client on a daily basis.

The only other issue I would be concerned with in a company with multiple representatives is "what are they really chatting about" - in a support system you can keep a good eye on it - as reps. give out personal contact information, start ircing with clients, who knows what goes on.

Although every representative you have working for you should be trusted, I'm sure things can go wrong and have in the past.

Note: Not all a direct response to you Tina! good point nonetheless.
    The way we handle it is that staff is not allowed to accept private messages from customers. We have several "private" rooms setup and the customer can be pulled into one of those, with someone from management, if needed. All chat sessions are logged.

The one downside is that we like to leave the chatroom open 24/7 (sometimes customers like to hang out there and talk about webstuff), but we post that we only there certain hours - please submit a helpdesk ticket. A few people don't seem to read the "certain hours" part and get mad when no one answers them at 4 am on a Sunday. So they wait until Monday night to come back to chat...when they could have submitted a ticket the night before and had it dealt with within an hour or so.

We've had IRC support (during business hours) for about 3 years now and it works really well for us. It really cuts down on the amount of tickets we get in and the customers really seem to like it.

--Tina