Thread: Linux for i386

Linux for i386

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a Linux distro that runs on an Intel 80386 CPU, with 8 megs of ram (preferably 4megs).

I wouldn't expect a GUI x-system, but I saw one a LONG time ago that stated it would run on an i386, it would be nice to have .

It would be preferable if it could be shoved onto floppies, and then installed onto a hard disk.

This machine is an extremely cheap test bench, I'm open for all your recomendations

Thanks,
    Shockuk.

IIRC, FreeBSD was made in that environment.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

could try one of those floopy linux "distros", take a look at http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Floppy/

For linux I believe if you go back to RH 6 or so you can get it to run. FreeBSD 4.x will run on that no problem.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

old versions of slackware or redhat is a good choice.

Debian

vectorlinux is great on older systems

Guys didn't you hear about BeOS ?

I'll never forget my first experiance with it running from only one floppy having full graphical interface with browser , Internet dialup , editors and ,...etc
    knowledge is Power , Spread it.
    www.e-tutankhamun.com
    [email protected]
    AIM:AhmedFouad0 , yahooID:xor2004

As mentioned already, Vector Linux is great on older hardware and Debian would make a great setup, as well.

Thanks for the info, i'll look into all of these suggestions.

FreeBSD would probably be the best bet for this project, however BeOS also looks interesting