Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Cant even get started.

I own a webhosting company, and i dont know where to start to get users.
    I've only got one person at the moment, and he's only thinking about hosting.

of course its new though

Anyone know how to start off on a good footing, with a few users?
    if you can help me, i'll appreciate it.

Maybe you should get an actual website up -- first?

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Yeah...I have to agree there...

No wonder you aren't getting customers. No website, forums, none of your rules (TOS, AUP, SLA).

I have just started my own company up. it takes a lot of hard work and a lot of thought put into it the best of luck mate

Greetings:

Prior to starting your own ___________ company, please consider putting together a very solid business plan.

Your local chamber of commerce as well as SCORE -- http://www.score.org/ -- can provide you with excellent, often free, resources.

A solid business plan will contain what bankers need to know if you need to get loans, what investors need to know to get investors.

A solid business plan will also include a marketing and operations plan. The marketing plan would answer your question as to where do you get your customers, how much to spend on advertising, whom are you advertising what towards, etc.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Wow.... if you dont have a website then you dont have a hosting company. email me for hosting isnt going to cut it pal :-D

if only it was that easy....i would be rich and unemployeed long ago
    YourDotComPeople.com Hosting And Web Design For Small Businesses!

YourHostPeople.com
    Your Hosting Company!

Oh... and btw, when people say "business plan" they typicaly are talking about a 25-50 page document which took someone at least 6 months to write.

http://www.sba.gov/starting_business...ing/basic.html
    http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/.../bizplan2.html

If not a year to write.

Most of the hosting "companies" that start out lately are just on resellers with a 1 page plan, if that and hope they get customers..

Sad what this is coming to.

Hi!
    Oh..and let's not even start talking about a marketing plan..

Where are my customers coming from? Ebay? yeah..right..good luck with that. Advertising on here? Ummm..most of these people *are* hosts..not much in the market to *buy* hosting...although some do.

What makes you different than everybody else? In this crowded market...you must make the case for why people should give you..and trust you..with their business.

Bryon

Originally posted by elix
    Maybe you should get an actual website up -- first?
    heh. You're a fussy one, hey?
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Be structured
    Business Plan 25+ pages... Website with all required things such as pages... you know the drill. Are you wanting to host individuals and businesses or are you just wanting to host just friends? If you need one on one help my email is in my signature.
    Michael Copeland
    WebLyte - We Make Establishing Your Web Presence Easy!
    Over 6 Years In Business! We're Here To Stay!

Yeah I have to agree; you can't just start up and expect people to sign up with you without you doing anything. You don't even have a proper order form there.

If I'm a potential customer, please tell me why I should sign up?

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    heh. You're a fussy one, hey?
    How else will people order hosting
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Thanks for the help people.
    At the moment im not 'exactly' selling. I am but im not.

I think i explained this wrong.

I own a webhosting company (The Website is under construction)
    And as soon as i get the website up and running i'll be advertising.

I just want to know what to do 'once' i've started. How to get a footing before so when i start i can start on a good foot.

Do you understand?
    Thanks for the help guys...

Do yourself a big favor and focus on your local market. You'll enjoy lower acquisition costs, less spam, greater loyalty, more referrals, lower server resource consumption.

Good luck.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

You need a website for starters...Nobodys gonna order if they see a page like that, would you?
    I also agree with vito try getting people locally, local businesses,freinds etc.

OK, so my question still stands. You're not going to get many customers until you basically answer that question I asked. If I'm a potential customer looking for a host, tell me why I should sign up with you?

You also need to decide who you are marketing, that way you can study that market and change your offers to suit that market.

Originally posted by darkraven
    I just want to know what to do 'once' i've started. How to get a footing before so when i start i can start on a good foot.
    Thanks for the help guys...
    You're still not asking the right questions, or listening to what people have said.

1) Come up with an idea.
    2) Write up a business plan.
    3) Select the most appropriate type of legal structure to operate under.
    4) Obtain financing
    5) Deal with growth and expansion...

You're questions seems to indicate you're still interested in just skipping the most important step (#2), which when done properly would answer most of the questions you will come up with.

It's as if you're just asking people to write a business plan for you.
    You do realize most of the people here you're talking to would be your competitors, and would rather not see another fly-by-night competitive operation giving another bad name for the industry.

Once again, http://www.sba.gov/starting_business...ing/basic.html
    should probably be your best resource for the next several months.

Who's your target market and why should they buy from you? Please don't say everybody and because I'm cheap.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bryonhost1
    Hi!
    Oh..and let's not even start talking about a marketing plan..

Where are my customers coming from? Ebay? yeah..right..good luck with that. Advertising on here? Ummm..most of these people *are* hosts..not much in the market to *buy* hosting...although some do.

What makes you different than everybody else? In this crowded market...you must make the case for why people should give you..and trust you..with their business.

Bryon
    [/QUOTE
    Lol, I thought when I first got into it that all I had to do was put up a website and I'd have millions of customers. Yeah, I know but when I dream, I dream big.
    What has been successful for me is targeting the local community. I offer it all, hosting, domain names and design and by sticking close to home, I'm able to give them better service. If a sizeable company wants to meet with me to go over options, I can jump in the car and be there when it's a good time for them.
    Ebay? Yeah right, the only job I ever got off ebay turned into a nightmare where I didn't get paid.
    Most of us,unless you have substantial backing, cannot compete with the big guys and while you can make money, you need to offer something unique to bring customers in. Mine is the level of service I offer to local businesses that want more than a name in order to gain their trust. You have to do something different in order to distinguish you from company a, b and c.
    Bryon is right. Your customers must be earned, it's not an automatic thing.

Originally posted by vito
    Do yourself a big favor and focus on your local market. You'll enjoy lower acquisition costs, less spam, greater loyalty, more referrals, lower server resource consumption.

Good luck.

Vito
    Now there is some wisdom....and so short! (clapping) Nice work Vito.
    Kenneth R Taylor
    Inet7 Internet Serivces
    Web & Application Hosting Services
    http://www.inet7.com

Re: Cant even get started.

Close your company, go to school - get some degree and apply for normal job - here more then enough peoples like you in this business - don't waste your time.

Originally posted by darkraven
    I own a webhosting company, and i dont know where to start to get users.
    I've only got one person at the moment, and he's only thinking about hosting.

of course its new though

Anyone know how to start off on a good footing, with a few users?
    if you can help me, i'll appreciate it.

Re: Re: Cant even get started.

Originally posted by steven-v
    Close your company, go to school - get some degree and apply for normal job - here more then enough peoples like you in this business - don't waste your time.

.......only to be followed up with some one like this. It's sad that you would discourage someone from persuing an idea. Shame on you.
    Kenneth R Taylor
    Inet7 Internet Serivces
    Web & Application Hosting Services
    http://www.inet7.com

I would suggest that get ready with your website is the first step for you. And then think about marketing and dont get discourage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast