Thread: HostGator

HostGator

Hi. I'm currently starting a business in web design, developement, and hosting, and while looking for some places to resell their hosting, I came across HostGator.

I was wondering if anyone knew any information about them, like if they're reliable, and things of that nature.

Thanks.

I have not had any problems with them. I've been with them a few months now. Support responds in a timely matter (if needed).

Try the following link and type in "hostgator"
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s=

I've seen a couple of reviews around, so that should help you.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Keep in mind when you look at reviews and "complaints" against host gator, always read the whole thing. There are a LOT of them that end up not proving a thing because they never have any ticket numbers to prove they sent one in, or any emails proving they contacted HG at all, etc.

Just make sure you read the whole thing before you judge.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Originally posted by RefreshNet
    Just make sure you read the whole thing before you judge.
    Agreed. With HG:
    Caveat venditor (and sometimes Caveat Emptor, based on reports here.)
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Keep in mind when you look at reviews and "complaints" against host gator, always read the whole thing. There are a LOT of them that end up not proving a thing because they never have any ticket numbers to prove they sent one in, or any emails proving they contacted HG at all, etc.
    Refreshnet, are you suggesting that any time anyone posts a negative report about a host on WHT they should provide details of all support tickets / e-mails etc.? Not only would that bog WHT down with way too much detail, but it may not be feasible for any number of other reasons.

BTW, how are you connected to HostGator?

I'm not connected to HostGator in any way, but I get a little mad when I see a week straight of "complaints" about a certain host (HostGator) all of which say they contacted HG about a response, and none were answered. When asked for means of contact (by HG), no ticket numbers were provided.

I guess defending or saying anything positive about a host means I'm connected to them in some way... But that's ok, I understand how things are often viewed.

Edit: Fixed a minor spelling mistake
    Last edited by Bofu2U; 07-09-2005 at 01:51 PM.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

There are a LOT of them that end up not proving a thing because they never have any ticket numbers to prove they sent one in, or any emails proving they contacted HG at all, etc.
    Regardless of whether people can provide the ticket numbers here or email correspondence (which very well may have been provided on the HG forums or to HG support) isn't the fact that there are a sheer number of complaints against them worrisome on it's own?
    http://www.mytripreport.com

http://www.ultimatedirectory.com

I m impressed. Hostgator runs quite a good marketing campaign. . I see week over week , ppl come and ask about Hostgator .

Joshua

Originally posted by Ginger45
    Regardless of whether people can provide the ticket numbers here or email correspondence (which very well may have been provided on the HG forums or to HG support) isn't the fact that there are a sheer number of complaints against them worrisome on it's own?
    I suppose it's "worrisome". But, initially, there were very few if any complaints about them. Complaints just started coming up a few months ago. Many complaints are because a client is using too many resources on a server causing bad service for other clients. I wonder how much exactly is too many. I may be trying HostGator in the coming months to see how good or bad they really are. We shall see...

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Thanks for all your help! I think we're going to go with HostGator, and see if they're as good as everyone says they are. They recieve a lot of good recommendations, and I've only noticed really one person who complained. So we shall see.

I am with HG for more than 9 months and everything runs ok for me. Recently, they upgraded the RAM at 4gigs on all servers and now they 'fly'! Of course, before you decide on HG make a search on other hosts, too.

I am with HostGator, and they are great. Great plans, great sales and tech support. They find your answers very quickly. Personally I am glad I found them.

Hostgator has been great with me. (2 months now)

No issues and my stats say 100% uptime. Good stuff.

=)

I've used both.

Both have good networks. HG has much better support. Also 1and1 are very limiting in what you can do even when you are one of their managed servers. I'm migrating my 1and1 accounts to a dedicated server with HG because the 1and1 configuration made PHP programing more difficult than it should be.

Note, this can be a probelm even if you aren't programming and simply trying to install common available scripts. The only why I could get certain scripts to run on 1and1 was to expose the server more than I felt was warranted.

The first level 1and1 support team either isn't technically knowledgeable or their policy is that they will not modify a predetermined configuration.

With 1and1 they won't transfer you to 2nd or 3rd level support. SO this make things difficult if the 1st level support individual doesn understand the problem.

I can only recommend 1and1 if you are looking for the most basic hosting pakage. HG on the other hand provide much more in terms of features, flexibility and better support.

t.

Works like a charm

I´m with hostgator and everything works great . Support is very good and when you buy a reseller plan they provide you with many extras (WHMAP license, ENOM reseller account, etc..).
    Very good, very good indeed..

Grettings!
    Andrés Chávez
    All in Hosting - Web hosting in spanish
    *Shared hosting - Reseller plans - Managed VPS*

I'm not connected to HostGator in any way, but I get a little mad when I see a week straight of "complaints" about a certain host (HostGator) all of which say they contacted HG about a response, and none were answered. When asked for means of contact (by HG), no ticket numbers were provided.

I guess defending or saying anything positive about a host means I'm connected to them in some way... But that's ok, I understand how things are often viewed.
    It's refreshing to see a competing host comment as you did on negative reviews. I'm not a web host, and I'm not connected with HostGator (unless defending them with you makes me an associate). But I also react when I see people post negative reviews with unsubstantiated statements and warnings to "Stay away from ThisHost."

When people post positive reviews, we ask them to back up their statements by providing a link to the site they host with that host. Negative reviews should also be subject to scrutiny or anyone could come here and freely libel a host. We're just asking for facts so that we can weigh the credibility of reviews, positive or negative. Every host here deserves that.

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by writespeak
    It's refreshing to see a competing host comment as you did on negative reviews. I'm not a web host, and I'm not connected with HostGator (unless defending them with you makes me an associate). But I also react when I see people post negative reviews with unsubstantiated statements and warnings to "Stay away from ThisHost."
    I completely agree, by the way, did you notice that you said "It's refreshing" to me and my name is RefreshNet?

I should have replied more in this thread sooner, however due to some ... personal tasks sidetracking me, it's been a tad hard to keep up.

I mean honestly a lot of people see the market today as everyone for themselves. For some people they should, but others need to realise something. Sometimes a person or company just needs a little backup. This is the internet and more importantly, WHT. Your reputation here may result in more sales, or less sales, or heck, no sales at all.

If you see a host getting, for lack of a better term, screwed, you should at least try to say something. Now obviously I can't talk personally about HG's services since I've not been with them. However, reading enough reviews I believe I can tell what is a legit review and what is not.

I'm not saying every single bad review of HostGator is not legit. I've seen legit ones, and they always provide ticket numbers. But for the ones without ticket numbers, it's just tiring to see it become a longated thread based on nothing.

Here's an example: You go to a hardware store and they suggest the size screws you need for a project. Then you go home and try them, but they are not the right size. So what do you do? You start complaining and wanting to file lawsuits against the company. What did you forget to do? You forgot to ask if you could get replacements for free. Chances are, they would let you.

You can't "have something bad happen" in these days and not ask for some form of compensation while holding them in fault, that isn't how things work.

Anywho I'll stop before I create a 14 page thesis about HostGator being compared to a hardware store, and somehow throw some dual xeon servers in there mixed with PVC piping.

My 2 cents

I have accounts with Hostgator - no major complaints, just minor issues, such as that first-line support requests seem answered on the basis of speed of response, rather than immediate usefulness, though that may have improved since I last contacted. Also, an annoyance with double billing which I'm sorting out with them.

Overall, I don't have a particular problem with them.

Some of the complaints I've seen in the webhosting section have been hard to take seriously, though no doubt a company as large as they are becoming is going to leave a few people feeling wronged somehow.

HostGator is a professional , reliable webhosting company and their servers are fastly.
    HOSTLIST.info Compare thousands of web hosting plans and companies

pexolas, are/were you a HostGator customer?

I completely agree, by the way, did you notice that you said "It's refreshing" to me and my name is RefreshNet?
    It might have caught my attention as I was writing.

I mean honestly a lot of people see the market today as everyone for themselves. For some people they should, but others need to realise something. Sometimes a person or company just needs a little backup. This is the internet and more importantly, WHT. Your reputation here may result in more sales, or less sales, or heck, no sales at all.
    Right. That's why I get involved in this kind of thread just as you do. If there is a problem, people here have the right to know about it, but let's have it presented fairly.

It's interesting to observe the numerous helpful people at WHT in contrast to those who believe in everyone for themselves. There will always be those who don't grasp the importance of credibility and group dynamics, but there are also plenty of people here who believe in giving back to the community. And who knows, maybe the me-first types will change after seeing examples such as yours.

My 2 cents
    I'd say your posts in this thread are worth a lot more than that.

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by writespeak
    I'd say your posts in this thread are worth a lot more than that.

Lois
    It's good to see how people actually like what I write! That doesn't happen much!

For the more than 2 cents.. My paypal address is...

Thanks for feedback (and the BACKUP!)

Have two reseller accounts with HG. One for the company I work for and one for me.

In general, the price/value ratio is hard to beat. We have experienced some downtime over the last 10 months or so, server crash (very weird issue), and a few DOS situations, but overall the uptime has been excellent. Just recently we experienced a blacklist problem but who doesn't from time to time when you're on a shared box IP.

One thing they are very good at is the performance of the servers. Among the best I have seen/used. By that I am primarily referring to serving web pages.

Another thing they are very good at is trying to address any valid problems that come up. They've had a tough time as of late with some 1 in a million hardware failures, but I can personally say that they do stand by the uptime guarantee. The company wanted a refund a few months back when the server was down for several hours due to the aforementioned hardware failure. They credited the account for a month of hosting (for the subsequent billing cycle).

Email/Ticket response times (at least for us) has always been within an hour at most. Calling I have gotten someone right away a couple of times, and got a machine once and told to call back. Chat support has been one of their weaker points in the past, but I can see that they are trying to bring that in-house and correct the past issues by adding onsite staff to handle chat support.

Overall, very satisfied 10 months in. They have had their issues, but you will see that everyone will have issues from time to time, even if you get way outside this price range. Often, it's more telling how those issues are handled than the issues themselves.

Now, if they would just offer VPS and end user support options I wouldn't have to consider other providers at all. cPanel and WHM are fairly easy to learn, but I'm a bit concerned with how complex an h-sphere situation might be given I have never used it. I know h-sphere is one of the more robust control panels out there, but I have heard from others that it can be daunting to learn.

David