Japanese scientists introduce new HIV drug

http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/inde...an-newdrug.xml
    KOBE, Japan, July 6 (UPI) -- Japanese researchers have developed a durable new drug that blocks HIV from entering human cells and causes almost no side effects.

The new drug, code named AK602, was unveiled by Hiroaki Mitsuya, leader of the research team at Kumamoto University, at the International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific in Kobe Tuesday, the Asahi Shimbun reported Wednesday.

The drug's main feature is that it shuts out the AIDS virus at the point when it tries to intrude into a human cell.

Current AIDS medications often lose their effectiveness after a few days due to the virus' resistance, but the AK602 reacts to human cells instead of attacking the virus, said Mitsuya, a university professor.

When the new drug becomes attached to the protein that acts as an entrance into human cells for the AIDS virus, it can prevent HIV from entering.

The researchers conducted clinical tests on 40 AIDS patients in the United States. When the patients took 0.02 ounces of AK602 twice a day for 10 days, the number of HIV viruses dropped to an average of 1 percent.

Almost no side effects were reported, the professor said.
    Could this be the start to a cure?

that's awesome.

I hope it is the start of a cure. HIV's been a big issue for a long time now.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

as do I.. could save quite a few lives
    fuse9 LLC
    -Support Team-
    fusing the core of the internet
    Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, Custom Plans

If just AIDs or Cancer could be cured it would make my day.
    Kerry Jones

Scientists are getting closer and closer to curing these big issues, it can only be good news that they've developed this

That is a very good thing. I can't help to wonder though what new horrible disease will appear because as far as I have noticed every period in history had its incurable diseases. Scientists always have work to do and I just hope they will keep up the good work.

Can anyone verify this article?
    Have a question?

Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Hope they find a cure for Cancer also.

I don't remember where I had read this.. but it was on a front page of a national daily news paper..

Cure for aids has been discovered.

I think it was some homeopathic cure. does someone remember that??
    Articles, Blog Posts, Content Development and Copy Writing
    Skype me or Please send a PM for Contact Information

I know that I read it on Slashdot, and it is great news.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

I hate to be cynical... but am I the only person that AIDS would have helped with the population problem? I mean, not that I like people dying, but... something needs to be done about the population problem, as common sense doesn't seem to be working. Or laws. (in china)

Cserver, no, AIDS would not help with the population problem because it requires good amount of time until AIDS actually develops. And how can you even think like that? Do you appreciate the life you've been given? And also, if you have a right to live, why someone else wouldn't have that right? And who decides who dies and who doesn't...
    Have a question?

Originally posted by Milovan
    Cserver, no, AIDS would not help with the population problem because it requires good amount of time until AIDS actually develops. And how can you even think like that? Do you appreciate the life you've been given? And also, if you have a right to live, why someone else wouldn't have that right? And who decides who dies and who doesn't...
    Well, since you asked... I can think like that because there are pictures of people starving in Africa; and while they still have life, wouldn't it be better if their children never knew hunger? Oh, and I do appreciate life. See, the problem is that the world isn't fair, and you don't seem to get that. I was born in the U.S, to parents who didn't have any lethal diseases. Kids are born in Africa with AIDS, or a drug addiction. Now, they won't die from AIDS for a while, and their entire life after the age of three will have hunger, disease, and fear for parents. Is it attempting to extend their life, only to bring in further generations of people who will live in horrible conditions, as well as bring forth further generations? as to your last comment, nobody does. People are only able to decide who lives.

Originally posted by RefreshNet
    I know that I read it on Slashdot, and it is great news.
    I wanted to refresh my memory on that. Couldn't find any article in their archives.
    Articles, Blog Posts, Content Development and Copy Writing
    Skype me or Please send a PM for Contact Information

Drugs are a huge business and what the business wants are people who have to take $50,- a day worth drugs for the rest of their lives.

There is not one pharmecy company that wants a one time sollution for AIDS. They want something that will make you live for the rest of your life as long as you take the pills on a daily basis.

Originally posted by Johnburk
    Drugs are a huge business and what the business wants are people who have to take $50,- a day worth drugs for the rest of their lives.

There is not one pharmecy company that wants a one time sollution for AIDS. They want something that will make you live for the rest of your life as long as you take the pills on a daily basis.
    -1, Flamebait

Originally posted by DanX
    -1, Flamebait
    Haha, someone reads Slashdot!

As happy as a cure for AIDS would make me, I doubt this will work. The AIDS virus mutates quickly, thus why most AIDS drugs only last a few days. If I understand correctly, this new drug will only last until the virus mutates its way around the drug, leaving us with a stronger, more resistant strain.