Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

*Sigh* Another hurricane.

I have to evacuate at 3 in the morning (6 hours from now) and either go to Atlanta or Tallahassee. Not looking forward to this and I guess Hurricane Denis is supposed to be a category 4 (possibly a 5 by the time it reaches the emerald coast). Not to mention this brings back lovely memorys, last year only a month after the hurricane my company was flushed down the toilet by my infamous business partner, well at least this time I can't have funds sucked from my bank account while I'm without power and communication.....good memorys...
    Last edited by NationHosts; 07-08-2005 at 10:14 PM.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

In September of last year my restaurant in the Cayman Islands was flattened by hurricane Ivan.
    Hurricane Dennis is still a cat.3 and heading directly toward my house in Cuba.

I'm with you NationHost. Not a hurricane fan at all.

I was in Orlando during last summer's big Hurricane... well one of them, to be honest I can't remember which one it was... but our entire timeshare complex (Westgate Resorts) was out of power, palm trees were completely snapped in half like twigs, oh and we drove past a 7-11 that was pretty destroyed... it wasn't pretty, and neither was the fact that we just so happened to have to checkout that day and fly back to Jersey... we were at the airport for five hours, something I would never wish upon anyone, and the FIRST plan to fly out of there... ugh.. bad memories. I wish you the best.

Right now I'm laying in bed watching TV listening to the hurricane type weather outside bang against my window. We're also under a tornado watch right now too, expected to hit anytime soon.

In a weird and crazy way, I actually enjoy this weather. Especially at night when I'm sleeping. Maybe because it makes me feel safe? With this kind of weather, I know nobody is outside trying to break inside?

Anyways, I Love this weather! The after math may not be amusing, but if we just get tons of weather and this winds, I'll be happy.

Originally posted by Rob83
    Right now I'm laying in bed watching TV listening to the hurricane type weather outside bang against my window. We're also under a tornado watch right now too, expected to hit anytime soon.

In a weird and crazy way, I actually enjoy this weather. Especially at night when I'm sleeping. Maybe because it makes me feel safe? With this kind of weather, I know nobody is outside trying to break inside?

Anyways, I Love this weather! The after math may not be amusing, but if we just get tons of weather and this winds, I'll be happy.
    Eh, I can't really understand how you like hurricane weather, storm weather maybe, but not hurricane.

I like it when it storms, and like you, especially when I'm sleeping. It's nice to feel protected inside your bed while there's hell on earth outside your window with all the harsh winds, rain, thunder and lightning. *shrugs*

Hurricane weather tho.....dangerous..

I'm more concerned regarding insurance. We bought house insurance at the last moment but what happens if the hurricane damages anything inside the house (Electronics, furniture, etc) do they cover that?
    Nationhosts, LLC

Originally posted by blue27
    In September of last year my restaurant in the Cayman Islands was flattened by hurricane Ivan.
    Hurricane Dennis is still a cat.3 and heading directly toward my house in Cuba.

I'm with you NationHost. Not a hurricane fan at all.
    I've never experienced a hurricane but if it's anyhting like a maor earthquake I'm sorry for your loss.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by NationHosts
    I'm more concerned regarding insurance. We bought house insurance at the last moment but what happens if the hurricane damages anything inside the house (Electronics, furniture, etc) do they cover that?
    Depends what your insurance covers and if you have receipts for those items you purchased.

Depends what your insurance covers and if you have receipts for those items you purchased.
    receipts?
    Nationhosts, LLC

Originally posted by pixelized
    I've never experienced a hurricane but if it's anyhting like a maor earthquake I'm sorry for your loss.

Probably worse than an earthquake in the sense that it lasts for hours.
    In Cayman the winds were gusting to 200mph.
    Anyone who says they enjoy hurricane type weather has never been in a real hurricane.

Hurricane winds have been known to plant drinking straws inches deep into a palm tree.
    Also, anyone who has ever seen a coconut hit a building at 160mph gets no enjoyment from a hurricane.

I feel bad for those that lose their lifes in the storms.

I do not like seeing tax dollars going to to those that lost their houses etc....

It is common knowledge that those storms come. It is common knowledge that they come often. It is common knowledge that they are destructive. Yet people chooses to buy/rent there, and build.

People that build in those areas should accept the risk. Unfortunately, the taxpayers end up sending tons of money to the rich and others that continue to build in know destructive storm areas.

I feel the same way about those that keep rebuilding their houses in flood plaines at taxpayers expense, etc....

I feel the same way about those in the midwest that keep buying new trailer-homes at taxpayer expense.

One time is odd. FEMA an help. But if it is a known issue that keeps repeating..... move, or no more taxpayers money to keep rebuilding your house.

IMHO, of coures.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Yeah the emerald coast is lucky we normally just get the outskirts but Ivan still hit pretty bad. Opal was the worst. I'm just hoping this one passes us up. The aftermath makes a town look like a warzone not pretty.....We barely recovered from Ivan as it is.
    Nationhosts, LLC

Originally posted by TalkMilitary

I do not like seeing tax dollars going to to those that lost their houses etc....

It is common knowledge that those storms come. It is common knowledge that they come often. It is common knowledge that they are destructive. Yet people chooses to buy/rent there, and build.

People that build in those areas should accept the risk. Unfortunately, the taxpayers end up sending tons of money to the rich and others that continue to build in know destructive storm areas.

I feel the same way about those that keep rebuilding their houses in flood plaines at taxpayers expense, etc....

I feel the same way about those in the midwest that keep buying new trailer-homes at taxpayer expense.

One time is odd. FEMA an help. But if it is a known issue that keeps repeating..... move, or no more taxpayers money to keep rebuilding your house.

IMHO, of coures.
    They are tax payers too. They are entitled to Government assistance. And IMO, as long as the Government provides assistance to foreign countries, then they will continue to provide assistance to their own people.

I wouldn't expect anything less from the Government to assist us than to assist those in CA with the earthquakes.

Originally posted by NationHosts
    receipts?
    You need proof of purchase and what you paid so the Insurance company can correctly determine the cost of your damage.

You need proof of purchase and what you paid so the Insurance company can correctly determine the cost of your damage.
    Crap....
    Nationhosts, LLC

They are tax payers too. They are entitled to Government assistance. And IMO, as long as the Government provides assistance to foreign countries, then they will continue to provide assistance to their own people.

I wouldn't expect anything less from the Government to assist us than to assist those in CA with the earthquakes.
    Right, you keep up that view. I will stick with my view of Why am I paying for Their House... again!

I didn't know this but now I do. Maybe you could take pictures of everything in your house and put them in the storage so that you could show the insurance what you used to own before the hurricane ruin it?
    At least the insurance will rebuild your house...I think.

You won't necessarily need proof, IF there is significant damage... they will send an appraiser out to see the amount of damage that you're claiming and estimate it's true worth. As long as you only claim what was destroyed, you can show them "my $500 photo printer, look at it here, obvious water damage" they'll estimate it's replacement value... don't worry too much about it. If there's any damage, come back to us we'll tell you how to handle it properly

Right, you keep up that view. I will stick with my view of Why am I paying for Their House... again!
    You should actually look up actually what is paid for. If they don't have insurance, they don't get a new home. But they assistance to make sure they aren't homeless.

I hope you're never in a position where in a matter of hours, you lose your entire house, personal belongings, even family members, and then nobody helps you. It's tough and it's hard, but as Americans, we must stick together and help each other out.

Look at the bright side....spam is going to drop again

I don't think spam is anywhere near the top of his list of worries.

<snip>
    It's not only the "rich" who live in the areas these hurricanes hit. Or floods. Or earthquakes. Or tornadoes. Etc... Lots and lots of "regular" people live in these places. I doubt a lot of rich people are living in trailer parks in the Midwest.

It just doesn't make sense to say hey, don't live anywhere that can have hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes etc. You're going to eliminate half the country if you do that. And not everyone can afford to buy houses, maybe owning your own mobile home is at least better than having to pay rent for a little apartment.

I don't mind my tax money helping people in disaster areas. Sure beats my tax money going to build a million dollar bus shelter in Alaska, that's for sure.

Originally posted by Hiccups
    It's not only the "rich" who live in the areas these hurricanes hit. Or floods. Or earthquakes. Or tornadoes. Etc... Lots and lots of "regular" people live in these places. I doubt a lot of rich people are living in trailer parks in the Midwest.

It just doesn't make sense to say hey, don't live anywhere that can have hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes etc. You're going to eliminate half the country if you do that. And not everyone can afford to buy houses, maybe owning your own mobile home is at least better than having to pay rent for a little apartment.

I don't mind my tax money helping people in disaster areas. Sure beats my tax money going to build a million dollar bus shelter in Alaska, that's for sure.
    So you think it is OK for somebody to buy a house in a known disater area. Then expect taxpayers to keep replacing it year after year? I am not talking about the 1-off disaster, rather the repeat stuff that is going on. It gets old. Real old

I see a propblem with that. That is part of the reason the Feds are buying up property in the flood plains. They know it is cheaper to buy them out, rather than keep buying them new houses every time a flood or storm comes in.

I live on an Island. If the tide comes up too high, I do not expect YOU to buy me a new house.

I live in the Orlando area and I'm hoping this season won't be as bad as last year!

The current hurricane sure did pick up some power. I thought it was only going to go up to a 3 at most, but it's almost a 5!

Stay safe you folks in the hurricane's path.

Thankfully we aussies don't have hurricanes. My town of Toowoomba is off the coast, so we miss the cyclones too.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast