hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : NameCheap vs Moniker

Forum Jump

NameCheap vs Moniker

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

NameCheap vs Moniker

I have been using NameCheap for approximately two years. No real problems, great prices and feature list. Their service is a little bit spotty: Sometimes, I get a response within hours. Other times, my e-mail seems to get lost, and I receive no response whatsoever.

Moniker.com seems to be the new big kid on the block, being used by all of the major players. If you prepay $1000, the prices are very similar, but Moniker.com is supposed to be more secure. This can either be a very good thing, or a very bad thing.

Thoughts? Rumors? Opinions? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

I read an interesting article about moniker, it made me more aware of domain registration security.

Since reading the article I've been umming and ahhing as to whether to use moniker myself, but I haven't yet made the jump.

Old
Retired Moderator

true moniker just gave more attention to security and attracted some big domain players

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

I believe that's their niche. Among the registrars I've studied, they
have the most number of security measures I've ever seen.

Old
Web Hosting Master

It isn't even a question between Namecheap and Moniker. Monte is top notch and their security is the best around and no one can disagree. They also track down scammers

Old
Web Hosting Master

I can not see the domain pricing on their web site. When you go to domain registar's web site it should be easy to find type of extensions offered, pricing and registar's policy.

Best Regards
D.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Pricing can be a little steep unless you have a portfolio of a hand ful of names and then they drop the prices. I would rather pay a few dollars more knowing my names are as secure as they can get.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Is Moniker ICANN accredited ?

According to your comments they are very reliable, or am I missing out something here ?
If they are, it's weird they're discussed here so few times (few times compared to Namecheap, Domainsite, GoDaddy, eNom, ...)

Security is a very high matter for me, I don't have any domains worth lots of cash but they're emotionally valueble to me. So if Moniker is the best option, I may check them out.

Old
Retired Moderator

yes they are icann accredited

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Old
Web Hosting Master

Yes they are ICANN accredited, they have an escrow service, drop service etc.. they are not public here but other domain forums they are very pro active. Security is their number one cause.

Old
Web Hosting Master

But they're even very rarely discussed here... (though could be good news as well: no talk because of no complaints ?)

Didn't they also have an option where ownership of domains could only be transfered via written permission by the owner (faxed or sent by postal service) ?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Yes and that is what makes them good, they are making sure the requests are in order before any names are trasnfered. Might take a day or two longer but better to have your name than have it hijacked or straight out stolen.

Old
Web Hosting Master

I've been looking for a registrar with paperworks since ages !! This sounds great...

Do they have a fast support ? Very few downtimes or no downtimes on their DNS ?

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

I think they should make prices clear on their site.

Here's another article

And a blog which states that Moniker has never lost a domain name through hijacking here. See entry for June 14 05.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

i still trust namecheap

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Hackers Gain Access to Namecheap Accounts Using Login Data Stolen from Third-Party Sites Web Hosting News 2014-09-02 11:36:37
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - May 2, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 16:54:17
Namecheap Accepts Bitcoins for Hosting, Domain Registration Web Hosting News 2013-03-05 11:57:58
Domain Registrar Namecheap Launches SSL Reseller Program Web Hosting News 2013-01-31 15:30:14
Domain Registrar Namecheap Offers Onepager Website Builder to Customers, Makes Equity Investment Web Hosting News 2013-01-10 17:24:23