Premade blogs that use AJAX?

Are there any blog scripts people know of that are made using ajax?

I'm still learning about this whole ajax stuff so forgive me if that isnt worded correctly.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

AJAX is a fairly new "technology", and I dont think there are any blogs out there that use it yet. At least not any mainstream ones.
    ии Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ии
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

You'd find a fair bit of disagreement about AJAX being new, it's more that the acronym is new.

As for the OP's question, what elements specific to a blog were you thinking could make good use of AJAX?

Blogger uses it to preview entries.

A lot of people are hesitant about using AJAX since it requires the browser to support JS, so your clients are screwed if they don't have JS enabled.

DanX - that's my thought too. I really like the benefits of the technique, but there is a trade off a developer shouldn't ignore. I'd want to have a sufficiently good reason before doing so. You could always support a non-jscript page as well, but then you're really beginning to create extra work for yourself.

Originally posted by cerebis
    You'd find a fair bit of disagreement about AJAX being new, it's more that the acronym is new.

What I meant to say is that it only gained popularity recently. Before 2004/2005 is was basically none existant on the web save for a few websites.

AJAX really isnt meant to restructre the whole web page, rather its meant to be able to change small elements of the page without having to reload it.
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!

I really like this approach to the writing web applications.
    But it's useful only on the sites that can't benefit from search engine indexing which is not a case with the blog site.
    It's also not that useful for intranets where the speed of network very high and page reloads are very quick.

Originally posted by code.select
    I really like this approach to the writing web applications.
    But it's useful only on the sites that can't benefit from search engine indexing which is not a case with the blog site.
    It's also not that useful for intranets where the speed of network very high and page reloads are very quick.
    Edit: erm, that might be a little too close to breaking a rule.
    Last edited by WO-Jacob; 07-11-2005 at 01:11 AM.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

9. Well yeah AJAX is cool but I am starting to see a lot of applications that use AJAX for the sake of using AJAX.

<rant>Some programmers are trying to use AJAX for just about anything. Some of the AJAX libraries are using XML to communicate with itself which I really dont like. Youre spending precious resources serializing and unserializing the XMLs. Why cant we just pass the damn arrays over , it doesnt have to be XML. And AJAX is a buzzword by the way. The original term is remote scripting which has been around for a long time.</rant>

What can AJAX do in blog applications other than search? Ive seen some cool GoogleSuggest-like search feature in Wordpress I think. Other than that I cant think of anything else that warrants the use of AJAX.
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

Originally posted by [email protected]
    What can AJAX do in blog applications other than search? Ive seen some cool GoogleSuggest-like search feature in Wordpress I think. Other than that I cant think of anything else that warrants the use of AJAX.
    I was thinking something along the lines of having a bunch of titles and short intros of the post and when you click a + button or something it would expand to the full post.

I thought it would be kinda cool.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Originally posted by VolkNet
    I was thinking something along the lines of having a bunch of titles and short intros of the post and when you click a + button or something it would expand to the full post.

I thought it would be kinda cool.
    This is something that can be done with plain D/XHTML and plain javascript

thanks
    - James

Originally posted by PHPGeek2k3

thanks
    - James
    Yep

IMHO:

$AJAX = $javascript + $bunch_of_crap + $to_make_someone_feel_good;
    if($php !== $javascript){
    echo "Good it's not supposed to be";
    }

Originally posted by PHPGeek2k3

thanks
    - James
    And n*(size of post) extra initial transfer as well. If you have even a dozen blog posts, that's a lot of HTML. Most people would want a much larger list for the feature to be useful.

For things such as menus, or static content, there's no point in using AJAX at all. You don't need to hit the server to populate a menu or display an input form. It is, however, nifty technology that can really speed up the interactive features of many types of sites. Blogs aren't really one of them. Aside from previewing posts, I don't really see any application of it that would be useful to users.

AJAX is quite useful for chaning the layout design.

For example, I can use AJAX to hide a side bar or box I don't want to see. Of course, you can do this with just javascript too, but when you reload the page the box reappears. You could do it with javascript+cookies, but that won't always work the way you want it to. I use AJAX to manipulate the layout, and store the preferences in the users database entry so that it is exactly the way they want it every time they login.

Originally posted by Pheaton
    AJAX is quite useful for chaning the layout design.

For example, I can use AJAX to hide a side bar or box I don't want to see. Of course, you can do this with just javascript too, but when you reload the page the box reappears. You could do it with javascript+cookies, but that won't always work the way you want it to. I use AJAX to manipulate the layout, and store the preferences in the users database entry so that it is exactly the way they want it every time they login.
    So how does that differ from a site that only outputs html using subscriptions and a user layout pref table in MySQL or something? Yes I do understand some of the coolness of javascript crap(ie google personalized page), but give me a break. The only place I see this AJAZ thing going, is sometime down the road it will greatly improve making in-house custom web applications. As for the rest of the web I see a bunch of broke web sites.
    }

It differs from the fact that you can click on part of the layout, and it will hide and save your preferences at the same time without a page reload, as opposed to going to your preferences page, deselecting the parts you want visible, and saving the settings.

AJAX doesnt break applications, and its remarkably simple to implement.

AJAX doesnt break applications, and its remarkably simple to implement.
    Yes for a more experienced web developer perhaps, but as for the rest of the commercial & non-commercial web pages out there with broken javascript?
    }

Pushing presentation to the client is a good thing. For one thing, it removes a lot of processing from the server. No longer do you have to process the layout for every single page that users request. Much of the time the user just gets the data and they display it client-side. This is probably much closer to 'ideal'. With a published XMLRPC interface, this opens the door for all sorts of usability improvements. Process data however you want, no matter how it's presented and without any extra work. Display data however you see fit, easily sorting and rearranging fields so that the display suits you. Even aggregate and filter the data client-side without ever touching the server. Not only does this improve performance (by reducing the amount of wasted data transfer, and breaking it up so that it's only necessary when the data is needed), but it has the potential to greatly increase usability. And this is just in a browser we're talking about. With an XSL stylesheet, some fairly simply Javascript glue and XMLRPC you can do all of these things fairly easily, entirely client-side except for requesting data. Another benefit is that this implicitly exposes an XML interface to the application, making it trivial to implement clients away from a browser. Easily integrate web tools into your desktop applications. Easily pull data from web sources into applications like Excel. Maybe we'll see something like an integrated shopping cart program in which you can search for items at a number of stores, pick and choose what you want to buy all in the same window, and pay for and ship the items all at once from a single application.

Sure, AJAX is 'fluff' a lot of the time in that it doesn't provide a huge benefit at the moment, and probably isn't worth re-implementing things for, but the methodolgy and design behind it is largely superiour to the current system, and if it becomes adopted it will usher in a new era of web apps that give a lot more control to the client and improve the usability greatly.

The biggest problem is compatibility, and even then...all modern browsers can be supported. If you still need to support version 4 browsers, well, so be it, you can't use it without doing double the work -- but it's time to tell those 2% of users 'sorry, but your 7 year old browser isn't good enough anymore'.

I thought this was a pretty interesting read.

http://alexbosworth.backpackit.com/pub/67688
    }

I don't doubt there are some clever uses for AJAX in nearly any page, but the question to ask is whether what you have in mind is worth implementing. I have a strong suspicion that many people that want to jump on the AJAX bandwagon mistakenly believe they've reached the mark, when in fact they're just doing jscript + DHTML.

A truly asynchronous feature can add a fair deal of complication to a webpage. As any developer (even if you're just writing webpages) should know, complexity comes at a cost, the total of which accumulates overtime.

Features such as layout customisation are unlikely to be the core of a website's service and so may not be worth baring that cost. In my mind, there should always be a benefit to the user in terms of usability and responsiveness and it should be directed towards the core service of the site. If from the user's perspective, the same operation can be achieved with effectively the same ease without a complicated solution such as AJAX, then you'd be better off not using the technique.

I suppose we'll eventually be talking about site-bloat, the analog of code-bloat, the way things are headed.