Dual Opteron vs Dual Xeon - For Battlefield 2 + website

We have a pretty large website which uses php and mysql.

We are considering upgrading the servers to a dual xeon or dual opteron server so we can also run Battlefield 2 server from it.

Would we be able to run a 64 player server from either one of the processors and still have power for the website (its traffic heavy).

What about a 32 player server ?

Which one would be the better option ? Dual Xeon 2.8 or Dual Opteron 244

I would say yes to the 64 player or 32 player. Since opteron is known for outperforming xeons in the gaming field I would personally go with that, but if it is traffic heavy, I wouldnt run either of them unless you have some serious amounts of bandwidth. Some posts have claimed BF2 64 man pub can take break the limits of 2000gb monthly transfer (not sure if these are correct).

The dual opteron for sure.

Bandwidth is what bothers me.

bothers all of us :|, BF2 not only takes up a huge amount of resources, but it is a bandwidth monster

What about CS Source ?

Source isnt bad on bandwidth, it can use up alot of resources if you boost it to 100tick.

Any GSP's know what the scoop is on the ranked BF servers? I heard you had to be approved by EA for them and pay $?? Odd since nobody even wants to really play on non-ranked servers and the ranked are always full.

Yea and theres a bf2 unranked memory leak since the patch , can take up lots and lots of ram.

BF2 servers are soaking up substantial bandwidth. A few of the DC's I do consulting for have all seen significant traffic increases since the release and after some investigation we traced it back to recently fired up BF2 Servers.

I can see all the posts already on Aug 1st........"My Provider is trying to charge me $600 for Bandwidth overage"

If you plan on running a busy BF2 server, better make sure you have at least 3000GB or more or you'll be headed for negotiations at the end of the month with your provider. It wouldn't surprise me if this has somewhat of a negative effect on the overselling in the industry, as a much larger percentage of servers will be using more of their alottments. Most of the previous popular games maxed the CPU and Processor, but BF2 seems to be killing the pipe as well.

DD

3000 might be a bit overkill, only if your bf2 servers are like full 90 percent of the time

um, i'm just giving a suggestion, why not get two servers?

Why even buy your own server for this? You can get un-metered ones from ClanServers.com and they give you free web hosting with it.

Always worked for me in the past...And if you are planing on spending the money for opterons, why not just get an un-metered line?

Originally posted by MegaGeo
    Why even buy your own server for this? You can get un-metered ones from ClanServers.com and they give you free web hosting with it.

Always worked for me in the past...And if you are planing on spending the money for opterons, why not just get an un-metered line?
    Not all that simple. If everyone just gave up running gaming servers and bought servers from ClanServers, they'd be pretty rich right now.

Originally posted by sshepherd
    Any GSP's know what the scoop is on the ranked BF servers? I heard you had to be approved by EA for them and pay $?? Odd since nobody even wants to really play on non-ranked servers and the ranked are always full.
    From what I've been told a GSP has to give 10 FREE servers for EA games to use (64 slots I think) then 1 for every 10 they sell. This obviously puts small GSP's at an insurmountable disadvantage to offer ranked servers.

If that's the case, then GSPs aren't making anything off of selling BF2 ranked. I love BF2 and play it everyday but it just is not optimized worth squat.

The biggest problem is trying to actually get a straight answer from them for BF2. Someone knows the scoop but so far I have had 3 people try to get a clear answer and maybe its because they know its extortion but they just wont give a clear answer.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services