Question Question about different Opensource liscense

i understand GPL. what i don't get is BSD, MPL and LGPL? if a software liscense in BSD, MPL and LGPL? are they opensource? do users have to pay fee for it or can be use for free and distrube/host it for free.

any linux host or opensource users give me some feedback plz.

thank

The LGPL is a variant of the GPL which allows you to use LGPL code in your software without being required to release the source code to the rest of your software.

A BSD license is even simpler, and just says that you need to retain the copyright notice in the source code, but other than that, you can do whatever you want with it. It's as close to public domain as you can get.

These licenses are more for the software developers, and as an end-user, it doesn't really matter which license it is. For software development, a BSD license is usually preferred.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Originally posted by bqinternet
    The LGPL is a variant of the GPL which allows you to use LGPL code in your software without being required to release the source code to the rest of your software.

A BSD license is even simpler, and just says that you need to retain the copyright notice in the source code, but other than that, you can do whatever you want with it. It's as close to public domain as you can get.

These licenses are more for the software developers, and as an end-user, it doesn't really matter which license it is. For software development, a BSD license is usually preferred.
    thank but how about MPL (Mozilla Public liscense ?) isn't firefox and other Mozilla browser are opensource? do you know the restriction on MPL?

Talking

thank but how about MPL (Mozilla Public liscense ?) isn't firefox and other Mozilla browser are opensource? do you know the restriction on MPL?
    IIRC the MPL prevents you from taking the Mozilla Project's code and rebranding it as your own, etc. In addition I think the MPL says any changes to the Moz. Projects' codebase must be given back to the mozilla project. In other words, you couldn't make some changes to firefox, call it something else and try to release it.

Working from memory here so I could be wrong.