FREE Web Control Panels.

Hi all,
    I just bought a webserver from a guy I met online, and he set it up with FC 4 Linux and gave me shell root login info, and said have fun.

Now I need to make some choices. Usually the DC I buy servers from setup a control panel like plesk, cpanel or ensim for me, but this time that would cost me extra.

So if anyone can give me some suggestions, I do not have much time on my hands nor money to spend extra (server fee is already expensive enough), I would like to get something very SIMPLE to setup, like just run a list of commands and it sets up automatically.

Are there any tutorial websites for setting up web control panels?

I don't have hours of time to go through reading a full manual on how to install a control panel, I'm looking for something in the format I just run something like

wget http://controlpanel.com/install.sh
    ./install.sh

and I'm good to go, I just have to login using user name admin admin or something and setup dns, add a website and I can leave it alone?

Any ideas to things that are REALLY easy to install and setup, from a BRAND new Fedora Core 4 box, everything default?

Thank you, and I sincerely appreciate helpful replies, I used to be really into setting up and securing webservers, but I have A LOT on my plate and I am looking for ways to speed up this, installing a control panel is one of the larger tasks on my todo list, and if it's possible to do in like 30 mins to an hour and have a website up and running, that would be fantastic.

Cheers.

Of course there is the search function on the forums which really helps but in your case you should look into webmin. It has a guide on the site for EASY intallation. Here is a little hint, If you want to run it with ssl remember to update openssl/openssh, unless Fedora Core already has the newest installed. Good luck!

alrighty then, thanks for the advice, I did just do alittle searching, unfortuantely I didn't watcth the time and just spent like 1-2 hours at least looking.

Now my next question is, Can I install MULTIPLE control panels without a problem.

Example:

I have cpanel on one server, and not on the other.

Can I install webmin, web cp, and other free control panels like that on my cpanel server, without screwing anything up? How about on the other server which does not have a cpanel at all yet, can I put multiples?

I am going to look at the demos and try to see which is the best and easist to setup, I heard alot of crap about webmin being REALLY difficult to setup, and I think I tried once and wasted four hours and got a real big head ache.

Yes, Webmin runs on the default port of 10000. You can install them in diffrent locations and then them on diffrent ports if you want. I will work side-by-side with cPanel also. Installing Webmin Is VERY easy, It has never taken me more then 20 minutes actually. I am willing to help, email or PM me.

wget http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/s...n-1.210.tar.gz
    tar zxf webmin-1.210.tar.gz
    cd webmin-1.210
    ./setup.sh
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

lol, is it really that easy thelinuxguy? lol... I haven't tried to install it in three years, and that was when I didn't even know what wget was, lol, imagine that.

If it's really that simple, then I definately will give that a whirl.

Let me check out the demo's real quick.

AFTER Setting up APF firewall and mod_security,

Once I run those commands, and it's setup, I login on that port, and then what do I do to a BRAND new server, no other control panel on it.

I would need to add the nameservers to the server, and reboot it, then I simply add a website domain and I login via ftp, upload my index.html page and my website is live? Is it REALLY that simple or did I miss any steps. If it really is that easy then I will hurt myself for asking such a stupid question, I just think I'm missing a few major and crucial not to mention time consuming steps between there.

TY.

lol, webmin demo is dead, nice.

lol, I think I remember what it was when I had problems trying to USE not installing, installing was a piece of cake, but setting up the server for multiple hosting accounts from a fresh install of linux was a pain. There are SO many links in webmin is the issue, on each page there are like 50 links to do things and it wasn't clear what did what when I tried to use it three years ago.

After installing, what are the steps to set up your first website on a fresh clean install of FC4 (fedora core 4), that is if FC4 is supported, webmin details page said it supports red hat but didn't specifically list fedora at all.

install bind

Howto:
    yum -y install bind

configure it from either ssh or from webmin bind plugin.

Done!

ok,
    how about these things:

Apache Web Server
    MySQL Database Server
    ProFTPD FTP Server
    Exim Mail Transfer Agent
    PHP
    Zend OptimizerCURL Support
    GD Library
    FrontPage Extensions
    Perl
    dns
    OPEN SSL
    Webalizer
    BIND

Are all these installed when the guy installed BASIC Fedora Core 4 or not? (The server is off right now, I asked him to shut it off until I am ready for it, so I can't login and check). Should they be installed by DEFAULT or am I going to have to install each of those individually? lol.... I'm so lazy, there should be someone who makes a website that has a complete package of all the services to install just with one wget .sh command, I bet he would make a killing from lazy peoples like me. lol.... I mean to install EACH of those above, which I could say are BASIC nessesities, don't you? Does anyone know of a way to install ALL of those completely up to date with very few commands or like "automated" ? I mean that would save me like 2 hours of installing each one by itself, course I could always get cpanel since I know the /scripts/upcp will update all the services that came installed with cpanel but that's an extra $25 bucks a month I would rather find a free way.

Just looking at ev1servers.net and what is installed with EACH control panel, the following is installed with

Plesk:
    Apache httpd-2.0.46-25.ent
    PHP php-4.3.2-8.ent
    qmail qmail-1.03
    Courier-imap courier-imap-1.7.3-41psa.rhel3
    BIND bind-9.2.2-21
    MySQL mysql-3.23.58-1
    ProFTPd proftpd-1.2.9
    Front Page frontpage-5.0-41psa.rhel3
    J2SDK-1.4.1_01
    Python mod_python-3.0.3-2.ent
    Mailman mailman-2.1.1-4
    Stunnel stunnel-4.04-4
    Logrotate 3.6.6
    Horde-2.2.3
    IMP-3.2.1
    Webalizer webalizer-2.01_10-15.ent
    PhpMyAdmin 2.5.1
    PhpPgAdmin 2.4.2
    PostgreSQL™ and PhpPGMyAdmin™
    Tomcat (JSP) Support
    Event Manager
    Multi-Level Support Ticketing System
    Application Pack w/Content Management Software (UNIX/Linux)
    ColdFusion™ Support*
    SpamAssassin Anti-Spam Software

Ensim:
    Analog 5.32
    Apache 1.3.27/2.0.x
    BIND 9.2.2
    clamav 0.60-4.1
    cronolog 1.6.2
    FrontPage 2002
    g++ 2.96
    gettext 0.12.1
    Mailscanner 4.24-5
    majordomo 1.94.5
    Miva Merchant 4.22 (requires a seperate license)
    Miva Empressa 4.11 (requires a seperate license)
    mod_perl 1.28/1.99
    mod_ssl 2.0.47
    MySQL 3.23.58
    OpenSSH 3.6.1p2-19
    OpenSSL 0.9.7a-23
    perl 5.8.1-92
    PHP 4.3.3
    PHPMyAdmin 2.5.3
    POP3 2002d-3
    POPrelay 1.1.4a
    ProFTPd 1.2.9
    Python 2.2.3
    SpamAssassin 2.60-2
    Sendmail 8.12.10
    SquirrelMail 1.4.2
    telnet 0.17-26
    Tomcat 4.0.6
    vacation 1.2.6-1
    webalizer 2.01-10
    xinetd 2.3.12

CPANEL:
    Apache Web Server
    MySQL Database Server
    ProFTPD FTP Server
    Exim Mail Transfer Agent
    PHP
    Zend OptimizerCURL Support
    GD Library
    FrontPage Extensions
    Perl

Thanks for your guys replies so far, hopefully a few more and I can get my business plan into effect.

There is a third-party plugin to monitor exim from webmin. Also to tell if something was installed by default use the rpm commands to search for them ( rpm -qa |grep <name>) that will tell you if there installed. Remember, they are case-sensitive so mysql and MySQL is not the same thing. I hope this points you in the correct direction. It really depends on the install you did (base install or did you include devel tools).

To see if PHP/Apache is installed run a 'whereis httpd' or possibly 'whereis apache' that will tell you. That also works for MySQL. actually, you could probably use whereis or locate for everything. If you plan on using locate remember to run updatedb to make sure all the paths are accurate.

goodluck

Most RH based linux distros have several options upon installing (workstation, server, etc). So the guy who installed FC4 would be the one who knows. That's why it's always better to install the OS yourself, then you know exactly what was done.

Once the server is up and running, you can check what is installed and what is running by several methods.

To see what rpm's have been installed: rpm -qa

To see currently running processes: ps -ax

To locate specific files/directories: locate <filename or folder name>

These are just a few things you can do, there are others.

Webmin: Yes, installing it is that easy. Then there are optional Webmin/Usermin modules which you can also have it install afterwards (depending on what you need/want). It is free, and yes, it is not as minimal clicking as other CPs (Plesk, cPanel, etc), but I guess that's the price you pay for going with 'free'

In webmin, even if a given module icon is showing (like Spamassassin), if the package has not been installed, Webmin will tell you that when you try and click on the control module icon.

Webmin, unlike other CPs does not auto-install the other software packages, they leave that up to you.

The paid CPs have a minimum requirement for software packages and usually will auto-install them as part of their installation since their CP can't or won't run if there are missing packages. Webmin assumes you (the admin) have already installed any packages which you think you need/want.

If you arnt able to install from source you can always fine a RPM of the software. I may be wrong but you dont seem to know your way around linux to much(Sorry, if im wrong.) I am able to help you setup your server for a VERY cheap price if you want. That way, the box will be setup with the percision you want and you know it is done correctly. I would be willing to do that for ~$30. I would install your choice of panel, third party software that you want. For an additional small fee (~$20) I will secure and optimize the software installed as well as things like OpenSSH, sysctl, hosts.cfg and your my.conf as well as install things to reduce your chances of getting hacked (BFD, APF , IDS and more) This price is extreamly cheap if you look around. I will help you will small stuff on the forums but It seems you need a little more help then just selecting a panel. Good luck!

lol, well I am pretty out of date with this stuff, I used to know this stuff like the back of my hand, but after not having to use most of it for like a year now, that's the last time I have setup a server, I got out of practice.

I am the kind of person that automates EVERYTHING.

So I guess what I'm going to do, is go down that list I made of services I need installed, find RPM's and make a .sh file and run that, that way I just do it all at once and save a butt load of time.

Sorry for seeming REALLY dumb, I'm not that bad, lol, or I hope not, I just don't use many FLAVORS of linux, I have used red hat 9 and currently using only fedora core 2, so fedora core 4 is a big leap for me, I have no clue to a few things.

Here's one of the MOST important questions I can have answered. The softwares that say they support all these different flavors of linux but don't specifically list fedora core 4, is fedora core 4 compatible with MOST of the softwares that have FC 2 listed?

Like VHCS, lists Fedora Core 2, but doesn't list 4. Is there a GOOD chance it will still work since it's a newer version or there's not really a chance? I know it's a game you have to play, install and see what works, but I don't like wasting time.

lol...

levidjkt: If you have a few mins of spare time to chat live with me, I'd love to "catch up" to the current settings you would charge me to install, and maybe I'll end up paying you for it, thing is I really want to LEARN this stuff, from first hand experience. I used to really know this stuff but honestly, after going a year without setting up a new server, all I have to do is update a few firewall settings and run /scripts/cpup on my cpanel box and I'm set to go.

My MSN is [email protected] and AIM is [email protected] .

BTW everyone, lol, I ended up spending all day reading WHT catching up, so didn't really get my goal of setting the server up no problem, but at least i'm getting caught up to date.

Another question, are there even ANY .RPM's for Fedora Core 4 build ? I never , EVER, NEVER, liked using RPM's because they are SO bloody version specific, and if it's a SMUDGE difference it will break your box.

Compatibility and breaking boxes goes with the territory of being on the bleeding edge.

Originally posted by jamesyeeoc
    Compatibility and breaking boxes goes with the territory of being on the bleeding edge.
    true, which is why most of my servers are running Fedora Core 3 or CentOS 3.5 and most of my software is a version off (MySQL 4.0, apache 1.3.33, etc) I have no problems running my boxes that way. There secure and work with pretty much everything.

i sign up for a web hosting and it includes a Cpanell..Well nowadays from where i came from its all included

Originally posted by tytusonline
    i sign up for a web hosting and it includes a Cpanell..Well nowadays from where i came from its all included
    Where does this fit in on what we are talking about

opps sorry i get in the wrong topic

Originally posted by levidjkt
    If you arnt able to install from source you can always fine a RPM of the software. I may be wrong but you dont seem to know your way around linux to much(Sorry, if im wrong.) I am able to help you setup your server for a VERY cheap price if you want. That way, the box will be setup with the percision you want and you know it is done correctly. I would be willing to do that for ~$30. I would install your choice of panel, third party software that you want. For an additional small fee (~$20) I will secure and optimize the software installed as well as things like OpenSSH, sysctl, hosts.cfg and your my.conf as well as install things to reduce your chances of getting hacked (BFD, APF , IDS and more) This price is extreamly cheap if you look around. I will help you will small stuff on the forums but It seems you need a little more help then just selecting a panel. Good luck!
    This isn't the appropriate place to advertise your services.

By the looks of it, you do need someone to manage your system for you, to ensure its full secured and patched regularly.

Personally I'd reccommend you take a look at Rack911's pro-active security auditing or easyservermanagement.com for the full blown management.

Good luck
    Rob Greenwood
    RedHat Certified, Unix Consultant
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bilco105

lol...

"By the looks of it, you do need someone to manage your system for you, to ensure its full secured and patched regularly."

I don't have that kinda cash man, I have to learn all this myself and do it myself. I was just looking for a LITTLE bit of help on the side lines, so I try something using a tutorial but if I run into a major probllem and can use a second person's expertise, I could ask over instant messenging and get a little boost in the right direction.

mouseattack ,

There is a very good panel branded as "VHCS" you can try google for it.

VHCS is an open source of old project vsacs.com .

VHCS getting updates all the time and just released new version 2.4 .
    Stable, secured and open source control panel.

Matt.

Well, web-cp takes about 2 hours for a good sysadmin to install if you compile everything from scratch. If you use rpm's, YUM or APT to install the main components you can get it going in about an hour.

23. Originally posted by mouseattack

I was just looking for a LITTLE bit of help on the side lines, so I try something using a tutorial but if I run into a major probllem and can use a second person's expertise, I could ask over instant messenging and get a little boost in the right direction.
    Here is a tutorial for setting up a web hosting service using web-cp from A to Z:

http://hostinghacks.net