Google Wins Domain Arbitration Case

National Arbitration Forum rules in favour of Google regarding rights to googkle.com, ghoogle.com, gfoogle.com and gooigle.com.

The National Arbitration Forum, today announced that a ruling has been issued in favor of Google regarding rights to the Internet domain names googkle.com, ghoogle.com, gfoogle.com and gooigle.com.

Google Inc., represented by Rose A. Hagan, filed a complaint with the National Arbitration Forum on May 11, 2005 asserting legal rights to the Web addresses bearing close resemblance to Google.com. Ruling in Google's favor, National Arbitration Forum arbitrator Paul A. Dorf found that the other party, Sergey Gridasov, registered the googkle.com and ghoogle.com on December 30, 2000 and the domain names gfoogle.com and gooigle.com on January 12, 2001 - after Google registered its domain in late 1999.

The other party was also using the disputed domain names to direct Internet users to Web sites that attempt to download viruses, trojan horses and spyware to the users' computers. The disputed domain names contain links to various products unrelated to Google. The arbitrator found that Gridasov did not have legitimate rights to the Web addresses, and the Web addresses were confusingly similar to Google's trademark rights to its own name. The arbitrator also found that Gridasov was using them in bad faith by presumably profiting from the use of domains.

A copy of the decision, Google Inc. v. Sergey Gridasov, is available for viewing on the National Arbitration Forum website.

The National Arbitration Forum is a provider of alternative dispute resolution solutions, including arbitration and mediation, representing a distinguished panel of over 1,500 attorneys and retired judges in the U.S. and in 29 countries.

Source: http://www.webhosting.info/news/1/0708053020
    Muhammad Waseem
    Inspedium Corporation (Pvt) Ltd.
    InsPanel - Hosting Control Panel for Windows 2000/2003

I am glad google got that domain name so that when I mispell 'google', I will be taken to the correct google url.

I know a guy who owns googlez0r.com . I wonder if google will go after him.

Originally posted by mikeylove
    I know a guy who owns googlez0r.com . I wonder if google will go after him.
    Google will go after that site. Trust me on it. Compare both google and googlez0r's sites and you will see the letters are the same style and color for each of the first six letters. At least the 'g' look different between both sites.

I dont think your friend is any trouble. Google went after these people because they obviously wanted google but end up at someone else's site.

Your friends googlez0r.com would almost NEVER be typed in by accident.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

What about www.g00gle.com?

Google has won the domain arbitration case agains
    googleturkiye.com a few months ago.

Does google have the right to take any domain names that includes google in it?

For example, what if I register a domain address such as, www.google-secrets.com or stg like that, will google get it?

I'm afraid to see that Google wants to be the "only" search engine in the world. Lack of competition would end up with worse results. In the other hand, using google name on a domain address doesn't seem fair to me too.
    About-Webhosting
    Everything you need to know about web hosting business..
    Realible and low-cost web hosting..
    30 Day Money Back Guarantee & Paypal Accepted

Originally posted by atshosting
    Google has won the domain arbitration case agains
    googleturkiye.com a few months ago.

Does google have the right to take any domain names that includes google in it?

For example, what if I register a domain address such as, www.google-secrets.com or stg like that, will google get it?

I'm afraid to see that Google wants to be the "only" search engine in the world. Lack of competition would end up with worse results. In the other hand, using google name on a domain address doesn't seem fair to me too.
    They own the trademark to the "google" name, so I'd assume they have the rights to domains containing "google" in them, much like eBay seem to take down all sites containing 'ebay' in their domain name.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

Originally posted by atshosting
    I'm afraid to see that Google wants to be the "only" search engine in the world. Lack of competition would end up with worse results.
    So what, you'll register www.google-search-engine.com and that would be a new search engine? How come Google didn't sue Yahoo yet, and Yahoo is a search engine? Or any other...

As N9ne said, they own the 'google' trademark name.
    Have a question?

It seems every google typo i have had ive been redirected to google
    for instance
    www.gooogle.com

If any website contains the word "google" in its url Google has every right to own that domain or ask the user to discontinue the website according to present brand name and copy right laws in all countries.

But I don't hink Google will waste its time in suing everybody unless it feels that the site containing their trademark is using the same for some mischevious purpose.
    Articles, Blog Posts, Content Development and Copy Writing
    Skype me or Please send a PM for Contact Information

Here's a list of domains that Google registered since June:

google-access.com
    google-access.info
    google-access.net
    google-access.org
    googleaccess.com
    googleaccess.info
    googleaccess.net
    googleaccess.org
    google-secure-access.com
    google-secure-access.info
    google-secure-access.net
    google-secure-access.org
    google-secure.com
    google-secure.info
    google-secure.net
    google-secure.org
    google-sitemap.info
    google-sitemap.net
    google-sitemap.org
    google-sitemap.com
    googlesitmap.com
    googlesitmap.info
    googlesitmap.net
    googlesitmap.org
    sitemap-google.com
    sitemap-google.info
    sitemap-google.net
    sitemap-google.org
    sitemapgoogle.info
    sitemapgoogle.net
    sitemapgoogle.org
    sitemapgoogle.com
    google-vpn.com
    google-vpn.info
    google-vpn.net
    google-vpn.org
    google-wifi.com
    google-wifi.info
    google-wifi.net
    google-wifi.org
    blog-google.info
    blog-google.org
    blog-google.net
    blog-google.com
    google-blogs.info
    google-blogs.org
    google-blogs.net
    google-blogs.com
    google-mobile.info
    google-mobile.org
    google-mobile.net
    google-mobile.com
    googleblogger.info
    googleblogger.org
    googleblogger.net
    googleblogger.com

I wonder if they'll use any of those.
    Have a question?

Originally posted by N9ne
    They own the trademark to the "google" name, so I'd assume they have the rights to domains containing "google" in them, much like eBay seem to take down all sites containing 'ebay' in their domain name.
    I registered a name that had the word "bay" in it a couple of years ago. It was something like romanticbay or personalsbay.com and I got a letter from eBay about a week later claiming that the site's name infringed on their copyright. I was like WTF? How the hell would anyone looking for eBay accidentally type in what I'd registered?

I can understand when the name is close (like if I'd registered lovebay or something) but I think they take it a little far when they go after names like that.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Originally posted by P-nut
    I registered a name that had the word "bay" in it a couple of years ago. It was something like romanticbay or personalsbay.com and I got a letter from eBay about a week later claiming that the site's name infringed on their copyright. I was like WTF? How the hell would anyone looking for eBay accidentally type in what I'd registered?

I can understand when the name is close (like if I'd registered lovebay or something) but I think they take it a little far when they go after names like that.
    Yea i know what you mean "bay" i wonder if it really does clash with there copyright i think not, What better is they did that in a week what about all the phising sites they take ages to remove
    Regards

How they just need to get a .co because I always type "google.co"

Good to hear, I hate people who buy typos! Go google!

Originally posted by Milovan
    Here's a list of domains that Google registered since June:

google-access.com
    google-access.info
    google-access.net
    google-access.org
    googleaccess.com
    googleaccess.info
    googleaccess.net
    googleaccess.org
    google-secure-access.com
    google-secure-access.info
    google-secure-access.net
    google-secure-access.org
    google-secure.com
    google-secure.info
    google-secure.net
    google-secure.org
    google-sitemap.info
    google-sitemap.net
    google-sitemap.org
    google-sitemap.com
    googlesitmap.com
    googlesitmap.info
    googlesitmap.net
    googlesitmap.org
    sitemap-google.com
    sitemap-google.info
    sitemap-google.net
    sitemap-google.org
    sitemapgoogle.info
    sitemapgoogle.net
    sitemapgoogle.org
    sitemapgoogle.com
    google-vpn.com
    google-vpn.info
    google-vpn.net
    google-vpn.org
    google-wifi.com
    google-wifi.info
    google-wifi.net
    google-wifi.org
    blog-google.info
    blog-google.org
    blog-google.net
    blog-google.com
    google-blogs.info
    google-blogs.org
    google-blogs.net
    google-blogs.com
    google-mobile.info
    google-mobile.org
    google-mobile.net
    google-mobile.com
    googleblogger.info
    googleblogger.org
    googleblogger.net
    googleblogger.com

I wonder if they'll use any of those.

How did you get such a list?

FYI if you register a domain of something that has failed to trademark their name before you registered the domain you are fine. Plus trademarks on common words are overturned all of the time, thats why Lindows is still around, they are fighting the fact that 'windows' is a common word. I doubt you would have any problems with *bay, that is just sad that they would go after that. ICANN rules are pretty clear on domain names that may infringe. You really have to be a jerk to have a problem, like registering paypall and trying to get customers to put their passwords in it. Unless your directly harming the business in question, infringing directly on a trademark like "google.com", or defrauding people you shouldnt have a problem. Look at the people who own paypal.org, cibc.org (bank), and all of the people who hoard domains on sedo!

I think browsers should correct mistakes like when i put a semicolon at the end of web addresses on my way to hit enter.

Originally posted by P-nut

Well did you keep the domain name? Did you use it?
    That is a whole of crap. What about cities that have 'Ocean Bay' as their name, and want to register a domain name called oceanbay.com ?

I think it's really messed up for google to sue against those who have simular domains.. it's the end users fault for going to the wrong domain
    --

I think browsers should correct mistakes like when i put a semicolon at the end of web addresses on my way to hit enter.
    That wouldn't work.. because the browser cant distinguish it as an "typo" or something from part of a php (only example) variable defination.. ect
    www.Yekaroo.com - Your Chinese Radio Online!

Google did the right thing and I am glad that they won.