carts and merchant accounts

Hello all.....

I have found many posts here quite informative.

I am in the process of trying to add one product for sale to my company's website. I understand I need a shopping cart and a merchant account. I have doen some research so I not completely uninformed. However, I am curious if there is a place on the web to compare carts and merchant accounts in order to ensure I am using the most efficent solution for my business.

Thanks in advance

Mr. ITTO

You can look at a few carts:

1. www.zencart.com
    2. www.oscommerce.com
    3. www.cubecart.com

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

thanks !!!!

my host is site5 so I have already taken a look at those. After researching these forums it would appear that the zencart is recommended above oscommerce.

??????

And BTW what's your monthly volume, where are you based and what do you sell?
    I'm curious because if you have under 1000$ volume 3pp will be better for you. And don't forget that if you'll decide to use MA you will need a payment gateway also.

we are selling software downloadable from our site.

we expect between $5k-25k per month.

btw thanks for the above link it has helped immensely

ps whats a payment gateway?

So as you process more than 1000$ Merchant acc will be a better option. Payment gateway is a 'connection' through wich the payment is being processed. You can't process without it. So you need a merchant acc and a payment gateway, there are some resellers that offer both. Contact Corey Bryant or CDGcommerce, I think they'll help you.

I would have to agree with Sidorino about Corey. He has always been most helpful with setting up a merchant account. He answered all my questions except one and he was able to get an answer for me within an hour.

If you are in the United States, he will be able to set you up with everything. The gateway response can be read to either allow the download or to contact you for more information.
    John