Cheap way to ship one pallet of "stuff" from Canada to Corsica, France?

Does anyone know how to do this? We are trying to ship about 1 cubic meter of stuff from Vancouver, Canada to Corsica, France. (Bastia is the destination city/port in Corsica.)

The problem we're finding is that most shippers will only go to mainland France or Italy.. but we need things to go all the way to Bastia, Corsica.

Please don't post names of shippers unless you KNOW FOR CERTAIN that they can ship our stuff all the way to Corsica, and not just to mainland France or Italy.

Thanks!
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

I believe that UPS will do it if the package weighs less than 150lbs. You haven't given us a weight so I can't really say much else. Contact some local couriers and ask if they can arrange the specifics for you with a company at the other end.

My office had to do this once. What we had to do was have it delivered by UPS to the local carries facility, and then arranged for a local carrier to deliver it to the destination. This wasn't in France, but was in another part of the world (Africa). What a mission.

As the other have said you could look at UPS if weight requirements are meet. Otherwise because of location you may need to look at some of the Air Carriers(FedEx, DHL, etc).

You could also try contacting a local freight broker in your area. They should be able to help you find a method to get the package there. And since Brokers do a large amount of business with the freight companies they should also be able to save you some money.

Originally posted by Odd Fact
    As the other have said you could look at UPS if weight requirements are meet. Otherwise because of location you may need to look at some of the Air Carriers(FedEx, DHL, etc).
    Hi everyone. Thanks for your thoughts. UPS/Fedex/DHL, etc.. are all VERY expensive. Over $150 USD for one box. Too much to justify sending the box if it's only full of kitchen items or cloths.

Originally posted by Odd Fact
    You could also try contacting a local freight broker in your area. They should be able to help you find a method to get the package there. And since Brokers do a large amount of business with the freight companies they should also be able to save you some money.
    I've tried this, too.. and all of them said they can ship easily to Marsailles or Genoa (mainland France or Italy), but they will not ship all the way to Bastia, Corsica.

This is strange, because Bastia is a shipping port on the island of Corsica!

I think the reason they won't do it, isn't because they CAN'T.. but simply because the costs involved wouldn't justify the time they need to spend looking into the specifics. In other words, we're not worth their time.

Oh well... I'm not sure what we're going to do.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

zippy, are they unwilling to ship ANYTHING to Bastia for you or they just won't ship the cube?

Would breaking down the package help at all!?

Originally posted by Mekhu
    zippy, are they unwilling to ship ANYTHING to Bastia for you or they just won't ship the cube?

Would breaking down the package help at all!?
    They won't even discuss it. I've tried asking them for the reason why they won't ship all the way to Bastia.. and they tell me that they don't have any shipping partners there.

(Which is silly, because Bastia, Corsica is an ISLAND right below France...)

You could ask the question here www.britishexpats.com/forum someone in the Canada forums will be able to help

mrzippy, you do have to keep in mind that huge cargo ships can't just drop things off at an island for you. They have to pay huge amounts to have access to the harbour and to moor up, then to unload your one crate using their crane and their crew. What's more, they'd have to FIND your crate amongst the huge cargo crates.

Have you ever thought about getting it sent to mainland france then having someone pick it up from frnce or having someone deliver it to you ??
    8i Networks - Advanced Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Web Design, Domain Names and E-Commerce
    Providing Affordable, Reliable and Scalable Web Solutions Since 2000.

Originally posted by GroveStreetNetworks
    Have you ever thought about getting it sent to mainland france then having someone pick it up from frnce or having someone deliver it to you ??
    That's our current thinking. We'll probably have the pallet sent to Marseilles, and then once it arrives we'll try to arrange pickup to have it sent to us in Corsica using a local shipping line.

Once it's in Marseilles, then we can ask our Corsican family (who speak french!) to arrange for the rest of the trip.

I was hoping to have it shipped straight from Canada to Corsica, but that's not looking like it will work. So... we'll just have to go to marseilles and then figure it out from there.

Good times!