Angry Svphost/digixhost/kirby Badddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!!!

im a designer that has housed roughly 6 accounts with digixhost.com/svphost.com (same company diff domains) for approx the last 2 years

i always thought they were excellent (support and uptime) and within the last 6 months they seem to have gone to total ****. About 5 months ago their support ticketing system went down after i had put in a request to cancel an account that they were in the process of dealing with. 4 months later they sorted out their ticketing system (they had ignored phone calls and emails during this time). Anyway they gave me a refund of the money they had taken from my account and as a LOYAL CUSTOMER i stayed with them hoping it was a one off problem.

July 1st all my websites dissapear. I put in a ticket and they said they'd had a problem with a switch on the server... i then received a 'mass' email saying that the server had died and that they'd lost the backup and would send out an email back in the next couple of hours..... that was 7 days ago

8 days i have not had my websites online. 7 days they have been uncontactable. I have left endless tickets on their support system, emails and phoned (from barcelona to america) and they have ignored EVERYTHING.

I have already transferred a couple of clients over to dreamhost.com (that i now see from another thread are experiencing hacking issues!!!!!) but i have clients and a website of my own on DIGIXHOST/SVPHOST's server that has ongoing data that it is essential to get back before changing the sites over

I am absolutely fuming about this and if i find i am in the position to do so, i will sue the **** out of them ... which will be difficult as i am in europe and they are in the states but believe me i will find a way

WARNING: DO NOT TOUCH THESE <people> WITH A BARGEPOLE
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 07-08-2005 at 01:23 AM.

Das Projekt,

You should keep your language to a minimum and act professional when contacting your host or publically stating something.

Theres no need for all the language.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

no need for all the language?????!!!!!!

i have corporate clients hosted on that server that are losing money daily because of this...

i think you would be angry too

AND

i have acted in a professional manner when contacting them, so you can drop your assumptions about my ability to deal with them. I think it is slightly different posting a rant on a forum to dealing with them on a ticketing system.

Das Projekt,

Yeah, with one method you have a single representative viewing it.
    Here on webhostingtalk you have hundreds of thousands.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Don't you have your own backups? It's a good habit to download backups on your own.
    David

Originally posted by HP-David
    Das Projekt,

Yeah, with one method you have a single representative viewing it.
    Here on webhostingtalk you have hundreds of thousands.
    good well hopefully the hundreds of thousands will be aware that SVPHOST/DIGIXHOST are absolute ******** then

how you like that language david? that professional enough for you

Originally posted by Royalty Hosting
    Don't you have your own backups? It's a good habit to download backups on your own.
    i have backups of the sites, but not backups of everything on the servers unfortunately...

reason being that i did have that stuff and about a month ago my windows on my system corrupted and i lost everything

ive not had a great deal of luck recently

With all due respect to the situation, the host doesn't necessarily need to backup the data. It depends entirely on the fee(s) paid, and the type/level of service ordered.

If a top-priority eCommerce site for $30-$40/month, I would say it had better be backed up, but of your typical $4/mo account...it's all on you.

The host cannot always justify mini accounts paying for an expensive backup solution. Again, I am not sure what you were paying, and price has an affect on the service to a degree.

My 2c
    Ashworth Consulting
    Dedicated Servers / Reseller Web Hosting / Web Hosting
    Network: The Planet, TX

Originally posted by Das Projekt
    no need for all the language?????!!!!!!

i have corporate clients hosted on that server that are losing money daily because of this...

i think you would be angry too

AND

i have acted in a professional manner when contacting them, so you can drop your assumptions about my ability to deal with them. I think it is slightly different posting a rant on a forum to dealing with them on a ticketing system.
    Nobody suggested that you shouldn't be angry, just that you rein in the theatrics a bit. Your approach makes it hard for you to be taken seriously here, it's too immature to give much credence.

Yes, forum posts are a different matter than your ticket system, but how do you think you're coming across to any current or potential customers who see your behavior here? Plenty of people research a potential host's attitude by reading their forum posts.

So relax, and try presenting your case in a manner which doesn't cause people who would otherwise help you to tune out after your first sentence.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Originally posted by ashworth102680
    With all due respect to the situation, the host doesn't necessarily need to backup the data. It depends entirely on the fee(s) paid, and the type/level of service ordered.

If a top-priority eCommerce site for $30-$40/month, I would say it had better be backed up, but of your typical $4/mo account...it's all on you.

The host cannot always justify mini accounts paying for an expensive backup solution. Again, I am not sure what you were paying, and price has an affect on the service to a degree.

My 2c
    hey

this has nothing to do with them backing up data or not... this has to do with them dissapearing for 7 days, whilst my websites are no longer available on the internet avoiding all contact whatsoever

Originally posted by BigBison
    Nobody suggested that you shouldn't be angry, just that you rein in the theatrics a bit. Your approach makes it hard for you to be taken seriously here, it's too immature to give much credence.

Yes, forum posts are a different matter than your ticket system, but how do you think you're coming across to any current or potential customers who see your behavior here? Plenty of people research a potential host's attitude by reading their forum posts.

So relax, and try presenting your case in a manner which doesn't cause people who would otherwise help you to tune out after your first sentence.
    whatever bigbison..

i am not looking for clients, or offering my services...i am not a host, i am a designer... and at no point have i offered myself up to the public through this forum... nor will i.

i am making a warning that this company is to be avoided at all costs, whether you take that seriously or not is up to you but read what that company has done

8 days downtime
    7 days of avoiding contact

Well...

i then received a 'mass' email saying that the server had died and that they'd lost the backup
    You said it...not me. Seemed relevant enough to post it.

I'm just sayin, server's have problems, hard drives fail...you get what you pay for. Not all hosts backup data.

Disappearing with the sites is one thing, but they (meaning the sites) disappeared due to a server crash and no backups...so there it is, the reason

I agree with you, not contacting you back via email or phone is a load of crap, but their excuse is somewhat justified (provided they told you the truth)
    Ashworth Consulting

8 days downtime
    7 days of avoiding contact
    8 days downtime -- understandable given circumstances
    7 days of avoiding contact -- unacceptable...very unprofessional

...IMHO
    Ashworth Consulting

At least they had the decency to notify you that there was an issue.

There are hosts who disappear with a whole lot less notification-wise.

They're working to resolve it, and as much as that might not be enough for you (or your company) it sounds as if they are doing the best they can.

They are at least making effort to keep in contact with their clients (whether it's via smoke signal, mass email or telepathy: most clients couldn't care less which method they're contacted through as long as they are kept knowledgeable about the issue at hand) and that is better than nothing.
    Last edited by David; 07-08-2005 at 02:56 AM.
    David

Well...

You said it...not me. Seemed relevant enough to post it.

I'm just sayin, server's have problems, hard drives fail...you get what you pay for. Not all hosts backup data.

Disappearing with the sites is one thing, but they (meaning the sites) disappeared due to a server crash and no backups...so there it is, the reason

I agree with you, not contacting you back via email or phone is a load of crap, but their excuse is somewhat justified (provided they told you the truth)
    ok im gonna copy n paste the email so you can see for yourself mate.... see if this is justified to totally leave me hanging for 7 days from this point...

Reply-To : [email protected]
    Sent : Saturday, July 2, 2005 2:58 AM
    To : [email protected]
    Subject : Server Downtime Update - July 2 2005

| | | Inbox

Hello,

We regret to inform that the drives the old server had has failed along with the
    backup drive it was hooked up to.

We are working hard and as fast as we can to get everything working back again.

If you have a backup of your files, please reply back to this email with your domain name and user name to make this process easier on all of us and to get your site up faster.

An email will be sent out with more information within the next couple of hours.

Thank you,
    Kirby
    i think the key part there is 'an email will be sent to you in a couple of hours'

its 7 days later (that was sent in the night) and theres no sign of them

I'm in complete agreement

They should have contacted you again, but what would have been accomplished, other than an angry phone call or email from you back to them with more details about their crashed server and lack of backups?

I'm only playing Devil's advocate here...don't take offense. It's purely conversation and speculation.
    Ashworth Consulting

At least they had the decency to notify you that there was an issue.

There are hosts who disappear with a whole lot less notification-wise.

They're working to resolve it, and as much as that might not be enough for you (or your company) it sounds as if they are doing the best they can.

They are at least making effort to keep in contact with their clients (whether it's via smoke signal, mass email or telepathy: most clients couldn't care less which method they're contacted through as long as they are kept knowledgeable about the issue at hand) and that is better than nothing.
    an email sent 7 days ago is keeping me informed?

i think not.

one of the companies i have hosted with this host is a corporate finance company... just from their email system being down a couple of days they have lost thousands of dollars

Das Projekt,

Then I'm sure the next time around that will be taken into consideration when you choose the next host.

If your site going down is going to make you or your clients lose hundreds of thousands of dollars - put some thought into whom you're trusting it with.

They had notified you at least once: thats better than nothing, although a daily update would be nice you'll just have to go ahead and trust that they are in fact doing as they had specified in the e-mail.
    David

I'm in complete agreement

They should have contacted you again, but what would have been accomplished, other than an angry phone call or email from you back to them with more details about their crashed server and lack of backups?

I'm only playing Devil's advocate here...don't take offense. It's purely conversation and speculation.
    yep i hear what you're saying, but it would have made a difference....nothing worse than hearing nothing for that amount of time when it took me 4 months to get through to them for that prior issue

this is a quote from my initial post if you didnt see what that issue was about

About 5 months ago their support ticketing system went down after i had put in a request to cancel an account that they were in the process of dealing with. 4 months later they sorted out their ticketing system (they had ignored phone calls and emails during this time). Anyway they gave me a refund of the money they had taken from my account and as a LOYAL CUSTOMER i stayed with them hoping it was a one off problem.

Originally posted by Das Projekt
    i am making a warning that this company is to be avoided at all costs, whether you take that seriously or not is up to you but read what that company has done
    My point is that I take your attitude into consideration when deciding whether to take what you say seriously. If you exhibited the obnoxious attitude towards your host that you've exhibited towards me both times you've quoted one of my posts, then I start to think maybe they had good reason to ignore you.

Especially if you told them you would sue them. You'll not find a faster way to get a company to stop communicating with you, than threatening a lawsuit.

Das Projekt,

Then I'm sure the next time around that will be taken into consideration when you choose the next host.

If your site going down is going to make you or your clients lose hundreds of thousands of dollars - put some thought into whom you're trusting it with.

They had notified you at least once: thats better than nothing, although a daily update would be nice you'll just have to go ahead and trust that they are in fact doing as they had specified in the e-mail.
    i am having troubles keeping my calm with you david...i obviously put a lot of thought into who i was hosting these companies with

i have been with this company for 2 years and was recommended them by a friend that had been with them for longer...

i have then hosted a number of accounts with them and recommended other people to use them because THEY WERE EXCELLENT WITH EXCELLENT SERVICE UP UNTIL 5 MONTHS AGO

i do not know whats happened to this company, whether they made some money and now can't be bothered with keeping up their company or what, but they are not the same as before.

perhaps you should read the first post again David and please, if you dont have anything useful to say apart from niggly little posts that help nothing then refrain from commenting

thanks.

He's still a paying customer, let's remember that. LOL

Are they around today?? Or did they bail entirely...curious.
    Ashworth Consulting

Das Projekt,
    quote of Das Projekt:

if you dont have anything useful to say apart from niggly little posts that help nothing then refrain from commenting
    I'll take my "niggly" little posts and leave at once!
    Take care.

Just a note: I'm afraid you, as well as your posts will not last much longer on these forums if you keep up with the attacks and the attitude that you're taking toward other members who are just doing their best to help.
    David

I think "everybody" needs to chill on the flames and stay on topic.

We're discussing something rarely seen on this forum that I have seen...somewhat interesting topic.

My opinion.
    Ashworth Consulting

He's still a paying customer, let's remember that. LOL

Are they around today?? Or did they bail entirely...curious.
    you seem like the only person that can see what a ****ed up situation this is..

yes maybe my anger has not helped matters, but i think i have every right to be pretty ****ing annoyed...

they are still around....

www.svphost.com

their ticketing system is still up....

they're answer phone message (in america) is still on

I'd open a ticket with this URL:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...postid=3219043

LOL
    Ashworth Consulting

I'd open a ticket with this URL:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...postid=3219043

LOL
    i will do that right now

lets see if they have the balls to respond

You think you have it bad...one of my primary datacenters is in the Tampa Bay area, Florida (no, I'm not nutz...it's for local business specifically) and we face downtime due to hurricanes annually.

We have another one on its way this weekend
    Ashworth Consulting

You think you have it bad...one of my primary datacenters is in the Tampa Bay area, Florida (no, I'm not nutz...it's for local business specifically) and we face downtime due to hurricanes annually.

We have another one on its way this weekend
    if there is a hurricane tho, at least you know the company hasnt dissapeared into thin air... unless it was blown away lol

ive put the link for this thread on the ticket so we'll see what arises from it

8 days with no response
    9 days downtime

this link is on the support ticket
    no reply to phone calls

Svphost New Ownership

Hi there,

I would like to introduce myself to say that I am the new owner of the Domain Names Svphost.com and SecureVirtualPages.com.........

Yes I use to be a client of SVPHOST.com for about 2 years. I was informed by Kirby Manual 2 months before I switched companies for a reseller account that he was selling off the accounts to another company. Now how true this is I do not know. But anyways some time after this so called sell out, come to find out Kirby Still owned the domain names. I inquired about it and then purchased them.

If you look at svphost.com we gave it a complete makeover and adjusted our prices to be more competitive. We do not oversell our servers and we run nothing but dual xeons 3.0 with 2 meg cache each processor and 2 gigs ram or more.

We felt that a change in the site would be better due to the fact to try to get away from being referenced to Kirby. I know this is going to be a hard struggle for us because of the fact we are trying to rebuild the name. We thought this was a good idea because of all the valid links still available on the web. Not realizing that there are alot of forums that we have to clean up and get ourselves a new repetition.

Any questions please feel free to visit our site and visit our suppot page.

Thanks So Much,
    Shawn Mulligan