Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Freak weeks. How do you deal with them.

<warning>This is probably more of a rant than anything else.</warning>

For those of you who have been in business for quite some time, how do you stay calm, rational and sane during what I call freak weeks (or in my case, a freak month). For over a year business has, for the most part been 'smooth sailing'...hard work yes, and a few hiccups here and there, but no major problems. Then all of a sudden you find yourself going through a period where everything seems to go wrong. First, a cPanel bug all but cripples one of the servers, a bug which not even cPanel themselves are able to fix, days later when this is finally taken care of, the same server is then hacked (despite having a firewall configured and putting other security measures in place). You nevertheless get through those problems and everything seems to be returning to normal. Then comes the big daddy of all problems, the hard drive fails, it just simply stops spinning, but not to worry, I've been making daily backups right? Sure I have, so I'm safe. So I think, only to discover that the backup files on the secondary hard-drive seem to be corrupt. Leaving me with nothing but a 12 day old off-server backup.

How do you keep a cool head throughout all of this and resist the urge to run screaming in the opposite direction and go looking for a 9-5 job like other normal adults?
    Last edited by VER-Mo; 07-07-2005 at 08:49 PM.
    Vertivo :: Affordable Web Hosting Packages and Reseller Plans
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.

Sorry to hear about your issues that you had, they do happen to almost every host.

I was wondering what plans you had in place to deal with these issues if they were to arrise?
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

As they say... when it rains... it pours... sorry to hear about your recent troubles.

Maybe try helping out here on WHT more than usual. I feel it builds 'positive karma' against the evil ServerError Gods.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

Originally posted by WebOnce
    As they say... when it rains... it pours... sorry to hear about your recent troubles.

Maybe try helping out here on WHT more than usual. I feel it builds 'positive karma' against the evil ServerError Gods.
    Lol, thanks. At least that made me smile .
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.

Originally posted by MH-Gary
    Sorry to hear about your issues that you had, they do happen to almost every host.

I was wondering what plans you had in place to deal with these issues if they were to arrise?
    Like all serious webhosts we have contigency plans in place, and of course, they vary according to the situation. Putting them in place worked out decently with the first couple of incidents that occured recently. However the hard drive issue threw us a curve ball, as the "backup plan" (no pun intended) didnt quite fall into place.

I know that this is sort of against "usual policy" with a web host (as in must stay going 24/7 with answers etc), but if you have other staff give this a shot. If they're on, ask them to take over for an hour and a half or so.

Here's what you do, or at least what I did (thanks to a friend for the advice).

Go on a walk. It doesn't matter to where, but just go for a walk outside. Look at the scenery, notice how nice it looks compared to a ticket window. Then in an hour and a half, come back and take a deep breath and handle the problems.

You'll find out that the serene walk is a good alternative to stressing out on other problems. It really does usually help! Now if the community outside is hectic, this may not be good of course, but usually it is calm and will be good for you

Hope this helps.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Greetings:

During those freak time periods -- hair pulling, gut wrenching, just want to vomit and pass out -- my saviour is remember that my Redeemer Lives (Job 19:25 and many more). The same God who saved me on May 8, 1990 still lives. He is still in control; and nothing freaks Him out.

God Bless.

--- Peter M. Abraham
    Last edited by pmabraham; 07-07-2005 at 10:22 PM.

Originally posted by Moni-Q
    Lol, thanks. At least that made me smile .
    Yay! five more ponts of AntiCrash karma and one to SmartClientsWhoUpdateTheirphpBBInstalls!

I have it on good authority that you can cash in your karma points for frequent flier miles... but it seems like a bad idea, as then you would be out of karma and something could happen while on the plane!!!

Cheer up. If you have done the best you can to the best of your abilities, then your conscience should be clear. You may have some upset clients, but once you explain it, I have found in nine out of ten cases, they're still rotten but then you can a least laugh at them. Kidding again, most will be happy to have you as a host provided you keep constant communications with them so they can relay to their customers what is happening.

I don't trust local backups for the most part anyway. They are merely nice to have 'if' they work. We do daily remote backups and random spot-checks for this reason, and also backup the DB data through a different system as well. Works nicely so far

edit: glaring spelling issue i had to squash.
    Last edited by WO-Jacob; 07-07-2005 at 10:46 PM.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

Like Refresh said, go for a nice walk. Or if you have a bike, use that gets your heart pumping.

Then come back and get to work. Mind is refreshed, and make sure you are working with someone else. It helps a lot, just drawing on experience before Provincial exams and major test.

I agree with the "go for a walk" philosophy. Sometimes there are things that can get a bit overwhelming, and going for a nice long walk is the only way to take a necessary break.

Best of luck to you!
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Go for a brisk jog or some aerobic exercises, believe me it does wonders.

You could also try to think more positive, I mean there is a positive side in the backup failure situation, you did have offsite backups that were only 12 days old (except for dynamic data for well-trafficked websites, that'd be good enough for most customers), meaning you were rather well-prepared. You mustn't ignore the good things or you'll be overwhelmed by the bad.

Originally posted by RambOrc
    You could also try to think more positive, I mean there is a positive side in the backup failure situation, you did have offsite backups that were only 12 days old (except for dynamic data for well-trafficked websites, that'd be good enough for most customers), meaning you were rather well-prepared. You mustn't ignore the good things or you'll be overwhelmed by the bad.
    That is so true. In the middle of moping to myself I had to stop and think of how fortunate I was to have any backups at all. What if I was relying soley on the secondary hard drive?
    At that point I had to stop and say a prayer of gratitude that things did not go as badly as they could have gone.

We go to massage with "happy ending" in this kind of situations

Just take a deep breath, realize that even in a 9-5 job, problems will happen to everyone. Then figure out the fastest way to get everything back to normal, and work towards it. I have found that if you are honest with your customers, a good customer will understand that things like that happen sometimes and will be understanding as long as you are up front with them.
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    Sales@IQStudio.net
    Create.Design.Innovate

Keeping out of the "Business Continuity Plan" arena (disaster recovery plan (because you already know about that by now))

Wake up early one morning and then purposely drive in rush-hour traffic. You'll remember why you started your hosting company real fast.

And....don't forget those compliments you save from customers. Review those too.
    Kenneth R Taylor
    Inet7 Internet Serivces
    Web & Application Hosting Services
    http://www.inet7.com

>Freak weeks. How do you deal with them.

I panic and freak out... but in the end this leads to the best results for me.

Seriously... you know that Hagakure quote from GhostDog movie ?:

"Among the maxims on Lord Naoshige's wall there was this one: Matters of great concern should be treated lightly. Master Ittei wrote: Matters of small concern should be treated seriously."

It means you need to be prepared so if something ****ed up happens you are prepared really well.

"Just keep swimming....."

Originally posted by Jimerson
    "Just keep swimming....."
    Yeah... thanks... i so needed that song stuck in my head again.