Alternatives to TP servers for a RAID hardware and Windows Server OS

I currently have a server with ServerMatrix (P4 2.4, 1024 RAM, 80 Gb HD). I'm looking to move to a better machine with RAID via hardware.

I'm tempted to go with a ThePlanet server but their RAID configurations are only available on the more pricier servers ($300+).

So, I'm looking for possible alternatives who can provide these same features. I've already found some nice deals from companies recomended here but most of them seem to only offer Linux OS's and the ones that offer Windows seem to be much more specialized on the Linux platform.

The DRAC option on the ThePlanet servers are a very nice thing to have and are one of the things that keep me thinking about a TP server instead of moving on.

So, if you could post your recommendations on a decent host that has good knowledge of the Windows Server platform, offer RAID hardware and a few more goodies like remote reboots, I would appreciate a lot.

Thanks,
    Steven Martins

If you go for the budget division of ThePlanet you can add-on RAID1 and a second drive to any server for an additional fee.

That site can be found here: www.servermatrix.com

You should try e-mailing ThePlanet or calling, I'm pretty sure they'll let you add-on a certain amount of $$ for RAID.

HTH

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

IS RAID possible on Windows with anything other than SCSI?
    Adam Lawson - AQORN
    OpenStack Professional Services. Commercial Support. Open-Source Cloud Management
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member & Corporate Sponsor
    Our Clients: AT&T | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

Originally posted by MrManager
    Hardware RAID might be, not quite sure.

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by elix
    If you go for the budget division of ThePlanet you can add-on RAID1 and a second drive to any server for an additional fee.

That site can be found here: www.servermatrix.com

You should try e-mailing ThePlanet or calling, I'm pretty sure they'll let you add-on a certain amount of $$ for RAID.

HTH

-GSV
    Yes, I know about ServerMatrix (I have a server there), but with the configuration I need (100 Mbps port, RAID card, extra disk) it starts to close in the TP prices. TP servers hard drives have the advantage of being hot-swappable, so in case one fails it can be replaced without a reboot (supposedly). It also features a 2 hour SLA for hardware, DRAC card and a few more goodies. That's why I'm considering a ThePlanet server instead of one from ServerMatrix.

Also, ThePlanet servers cannot be changed other than add more memory or hard drives, so I can only pick from one of the servers with RAID configuration.
    Steven Martins

ThePlanet has a 2 hour hardware SLA? I've seen many cases where they didn't live up to that.

-GSV

Originally posted by elix
    ThePlanet has a 2 hour hardware SLA? I've seen many cases where they didn't live up to that.

-GSV
    Thats why I'm trying to find comparable servers from other companies to see if I should move out.

With my SM box that had a hardware failure a few weeks ago I had a very quick response time on the overage and hardware replacement (about 2 hours), so if a TP server receives the same treatment (it should be even better) then it's a very acceptable response time.
    Steven Martins

Windows has huge support for raid hardware. Beware of crappy SATA "RAID" that is really software raid that integrates with firmware for onboard raid controllers. You want to make sure you are getting real hardware raid or else you won't be getting proper performance.

In my experience 3ware cards kick *** for SATA h/w raid applications (this is after trying a half dozen other addon cards that were nothing more then jazzed up software raid that is made to appear as hardware raid
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

So, any good experiences on Windows servers from other companies that you are willing to share?

I'm asking because I've been visiting some of the companies frequently recomended here and they seem to be much more dedicated to the Linux platform.

SagoNet, Netivex and a few others I've contacted but don't recall the name now seem to be more aimed to Linux OS's.

Thanks.
    Steven Martins

Originally posted by MrManager
    This is where Windows beats Linux...

Nearly every hardware RAID setup works without anything too complicated to set up, and software RAID levels 0/1 are also easily configurable from the OS.

If you're going hardware, 3ware cards are pretty good, but to be honest I've managed more Windows machines than Linux, and I've never seen an array running Windows go bang, whether the controller being Adaptec, Dell Perc, 3ware, etc... unfortunately I can't say the same for Linux.

Dan