Question phpmyadmin and php-mbstring

i'm using mysql 4.1 and phpmyadmin 2.6.3 on windows2003 web and iis6.

when i log into phpmyadmin it display "The mbstring PHP extension was not found and you seem to be using a multibyte charset. Without the mbstring extension phpMyAdmin is unable to split strings correctly and it may result in unexpected results."

i have uncommented extension=php_mbstring and php_mbstring.dll is in the php's extensions dir. so i don't know what else to check. i have search the web and most people just say uncommented extension=php_mbstring in php.ini i did it but still no go.

what am i missing? i'm running php 4.3.11 and no zend optimizer. please help if you can.

I had the same problem when installed a apache ,php, mysql test server at home. What you need to do is:

jt2377 you mention this: "i have uncommented extension=php_mbstring and php_mbstring.dll is in the php's extensions dir"

You have remove ; from the php_mbstring.dll NOT from the extenions directory but from your php.ini. When testing on xp it was C:\WINDOWS\php.ini.

You also need to download php_mbstring for php4 I downloaded it from http://kromann.info/download.php?str...&strIndex=PHP4 One downloaded you have to put it in your php extensions directory . ir C:\........\php\extensions.

Now reboot your server, and everything should be fine.

Hope this helps, it worked for me.

matrox

Originally posted by matrox
    I had the same problem when installed a apache ,php, mysql test server at home. What you need to do is:

jt2377 you mention this: "i have uncommented extension=php_mbstring and php_mbstring.dll is in the php's extensions dir"

You have remove ; from the php_mbstring.dll NOT from the extenions directory but from your php.ini. When testing on xp it was C:\WINDOWS\php.ini.

You also need to download php_mbstring for php4 I downloaded it from http://kromann.info/download.php?str...&strIndex=PHP4 One downloaded you have to put it in your php extensions directory . ir C:\........\php\extensions.

Now reboot your server, and everything should be fine.

Hope this helps, it worked for me.

matrox
    i did a reinstall of php4. i don't use the installer and this time i use php.exe instead the isapi.dll and it work.

php and iis is freaking weird like that.