Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AMD vs. Pentium HT

Hey,

i don't know where else to put this but I am considering a major upgrade for my computer. I run windows on a

AMD Athlon 3200XP+ (Over-clocked, previously a 2700) with 512 mb ram

I don't know whether I should get a AMD 3500+ not-overclocked
    AMD 64 bit

Or a Pentium 3.2 Ghz With Hyper Threading (Maybe without, depends on prices).

I am an active gamer and play graphics-intensive games such as Doom 3, Counter-Strike Source, HL:2 and anything that's good.

Which do you suggest? I also use 3ds max for my 3d modeling in my spare time.

Any advice would be great.

You should go with an AMD Athlon64 for sure. 64 bit is the future, and its reasonably priced for a high performance CPU. If you're an intel fan then sure, go ahead with that, but AMD will of course be cheaper. I like both, I have a P4 3.4 HT in my laptop, and an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton" in my desktop (soon to be an AMD Athlon64).
    Dedicated Servers - frank@hivelocity.net - 1-888-869-HOST(4678)
    Viva Hivelocity "THE SERVER STUD" - Award Winning Hosting
    Managed Dedicated Servers. Reseller Discounts. 24/7 Impressive Tech Support.

A64!

AMD all the way.

- Eddy
    Tired of jumping web hosting providers? Tired of OVERSELLING? Tired of Poor service/quality?
    Are you Finally realizing You Get What You Pay For In Life?
    If So...Please Visit ***** eServicesUnlimited***** - We Guarantee 100% Satisfaction we promise that!

AMD will almost always beat Intel.
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

I have had both good things from amd and intel, i have an old 750mhz pc that works still, no problems or nothing, i have 1 p4 ht 2.8ghz, works great, 1 amd laptop 1.6ghz, and a 2.8ghz intel celeron d processer, and they all work great, no problems from them yet, still running...

Im interested in amd 64, i might buy one of them in the near future, also woundering is intel comming out with a 64bit processer or just amd?

Originally posted by Criminal#58369
    I have had both good things from amd and intel, i have an old 750mhz pc that works still, no problems or nothing, i have 1 p4 ht 2.8ghz, works great, 1 amd laptop 1.6ghz, and a 2.8ghz intel celeron d processer, and they all work great, no problems from them yet, still running...

Im interested in amd 64, i might buy one of them in the near future, also woundering is intel comming out with a 64bit processer or just amd?
    Intel has already come out with some processors that have 64-bit extensions. 64-bit isn't much of a buzz now as it used to be. Now, it's all about dual-core CPUs.

I have a 3.4ghz hyperthreaded Intel CPU ... I'm not sure if the hyperthreading makes all that much difference.

AMDs have been proven to outperform Intel processors in computer games. Since you're a gamer, there's really no question. Get the AMD.

I have an AMD 3500+ 64 bit , I would definatly take it over the pentium, with 2gig of ram its extremly quick.

ht is only really good if you're going to do such things as encoding etc

amd for all other bits

amd all the way

AMD for gaming without a doubt.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Without a doubt: Go AMD. My AMD Athlon XP 2600+ is still running fine after about a year and a half and I love my AMD Athlon 64 3200+.

Re: AMD vs. Pentium HT

Originally posted by MegaGeo
    Or a Pentium 3.2 Ghz With Hyper Threading (Maybe without, depends on prices).
    Actually, Hyper Threading technology is bad for games.

Go with AMD.
    - Matt

Well.. I went back to Intel from AMD. Had an athlon 2ghz and when I upgraded I chose to go with 3.0GHZ Intel w / HT. I love it, and am happy I went back to Intel.

AMD RULESZ!! AMD 64bit is awesome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Posts from theWHIR.com