* Nameservers and switching hosts

What do you think is the best way to handle this?

A hosting provider supplies the IP address with which I set up a personal nameserver. All my reseller client accounts are provided with this nameserver.
    Now, I decide to change the hosting provider. Do I have to obtain a new IP from the new host and then change my personal namerserver settings? How does one avoid (or minimize) disruptions to client accounts, since it takes at least 2-3 days (7, according to Registerfly) to have the new IP numbers for the nameserver to propagate through the Internet.

How do you reseller gurus handle this situation?

wbengal,

Here is how I would do it.

I would ask the new host for the following information:
    Nameserver 1 IP:
    Nameserver 2 IP:
    Shared IP:

Next, I would change the TTL of each DNS record on your old reseller server to 300 (this needs to be done manually).

Please wait 2 days for the TTL settings to propogate.

If you're using cPanel, ask your new host to transfer each account for you. After one account is transferred modify the DNS record on the old server for that account to have it point to the new IP. Make sure the same procedure is done for all accounts. Have your old reseller host restart BIND on the server to make sure everything propogates as it should. Now, you can change the IPs at Registerfly's control panel. Additionally, because the DNS zones were already modified you can expect propogation to take no more than 1 hour.

HTH

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by elix
    Next, I would change the TTL of each DNS record on your old reseller server to 300 (this needs to be done manually).
    -GSV
    Thanks for your response. Could you perhaps elaborate on the above?

Do I go to "Edit a DNS Zone" in WHM?
    Then do I change the TTL value (from 14400 to 300) in all Record Types (NS, A, MX, CName)?

Originally posted by wbengal
    Thanks for your response. Could you perhaps elaborate on the above?

Do I go to "Edit a DNS Zone" in WHM?
    Then do I change the TTL value (from 14400 to 300) in all Record Types (NS, A, MX, CName)?
    Correct. Then wait 2 days. Have the new host transfer the accounts and update each DNS zone accordingly with the new IP address.

HTH

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

elix/GSV,

OK, I understand the procedue and can of course follow it mechanically. However, just for my own curiosity, do you mind explaining the significance of changing the TTL value? Also, does this TTL value (300) get carried over to the new host and stay at that level with the new host?

wbengal,

You can call me GSV.

Anyhow, TTL means "time to live", IIRC. Basically, it's the defined about of how many seconds it will take for DNS settings to take into affect. If you're using cPanel which I assume, the DNS record will not be migrated over to the new host but, there is no need for that unless you plan to move again. Make sure, your new host transfers each account one by one and modifys the IP in the old reseller account per each DNS zone to reflect their own shared IP.

HTH

-GSV

GSV, thanks again for your very helpful responses.

May I ask a couple of related questions? Am I right in assuming that each nameserver must have an unique IP and multiple nameservers cannot share the same IP address?

My old host had set up a private nameserver (based on a domain I own) using their IP numbers. Now when I move to a new host, can I switch the IP numbers of the nameserver to the new IP numbers that are associated with the generic nameserver provided by the new host?

Asked another way, is it possible for me to maintain the personal nameserver (I own the domain) without having to pay for separate IPs to the new host? Can "free DNS" services (like zoneedit.com) help in this regard or is there some way to achieve this using "dynamic DNS"? Or would you advise me to simply bite the bullet and pay for a new set of custom IP numbers?

May I ask a couple of related questions?
    Sure

Am I right in assuming that each nameserver must have an unique IP and multiple nameservers cannot share the same IP address?
    Yes, it's plain useless to have two nameservers with the same IPs.

My old host had set up a private nameserver (based on a domain I own) using their IP numbers. Now when I move to a new host, can I switch the IP numbers of the nameserver to the new IP numbers that are associated with the generic nameserver provided by the new host?

Asked another way, is it possible for me to maintain the personal nameserver (I own the domain) without having to pay for separate IPs to the new host? Can "free DNS" services (like zoneedit.com) help in this regard or is there some way to achieve this using "dynamic DNS"? Or would you advise me to simply bite the bullet and pay for a new set of custom IP numbers?
    Umm.. the only reason why ZoneEdit might be bad is because of the following two reasons:
    1) When users add add-on domains in cPanel you need to add the DNS records yourself. You're also limited to 5 for free, so you will run out eventually.
    2) You can't have private nameservers, you need to use theirs.

Just pay extra for the private nameservers.

HTH

-GSV