Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

theplanet.com anyone??

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone can vow for theplanet.com... I am strongly considering using their dedicated server package however am getting a strange feeling -- the deal seems too good to be true.

I talked to one of their sales guys and he mentioned they are at 45% utilization and 52% at peak times, however that ratio seems too close at peak times, should be more like 70+%.

I am confident with their uptime however and skeptical about transfer rates and support.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Peter

There a few complaints about support but their network is pretty good so transfer rates are no issue.

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

ThePlanet is an AWESOME datacenter and dedicated server host. There are also reseller companies like servermatrix.com who resell in ThePlanet's datacenter! There are thousands of companies who use ThePlanet such as a very large company Host Gator!
    DDoS Protected Chicago and New York Virtual Private Servers with INSTANT setup!
    RAID-10 OpenVZ Virtual Private Servers with hundreds of OS templates!
    CometVPS.com - We're all about customer experience. Try us!

Originally posted by saintagex
    ThePlanet is an AWESOME datacenter and dedicated server host. There are also reseller companies like servermatrix.com who resell in ThePlanet's datacenter! There are thousands of companies who use ThePlanet such as a very large company Host Gator!
    I don't know about many people who would describe them as awesome to their support. Additionally, Server Matrix is the budget division of ThePlanet, they don't resell their servers. You are correct about HostGator using ThePlanet, however. The improvements ThePlanet is making in August, outlined here, hopefully improve the quality of service.

I recommend you a search to get current reviews of ThePlanet. From first glance, ThePlanet has mixed reviews.

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I have no issues with them. I think they are a great provider, and support for me hasn't been an issue.

Good luck in your search!

I had a server with them back up until this past January and it was fine, however I am unable to comment on their support besides what is seen on here (which according to other clients of theirs leaves much to be desired). In any case elux101 simply do your research and I am sure you will fine the right host for you.

-Justin

they provide good network and support is responsive.

treat them nice, and they will treat you nice.

I will vouch for them...

Computing on Demand

i have 3 servers from them and plan on getting more they are just amazing. layerdtech on the other hand, stay away from them.

I will vouche for them. Never had a problem they have not been on top of before I even knew about it. I actually get a dedicated from ServerMatrix (sister company of ThePlanet), but its all the same people and network.

I do have ONE complaint about Server Matrix. They will not upgrade your hardware when they upgrade their Hardware Packages.

For example: One of their Dedicated server packages has been upgraded from 512MB memory to 1GB memory standard. They will NOT upgrade my existing 512MB machine to 1GB because, "it requires much engineering and planning to make a change like that. But you can cancel your existing server and rent a new one and get the new deal or pay the upgrade price." (of course meaning paying set-up costs again).

I may have been born at night, but it was not last night. I know exactly the type of engineering degree it takes to swap out sticks of memory in a server...

Other than that (minor) issue though. I would HIGHLY recomend Server Matrix/The Planet.

worm

Two servers with TP/SM, with a third looming on the horizon. No complaints from me - they may not be 100% perfect, but they're close enough.

Originally posted by elix
    I don't know about many people who would describe them as awesome to their support. Additionally, Server Matrix is the budget division of ThePlanet, they don't resell their servers.
    I don't think Servermatrix would qualify as a 'budget' host anymore.

Does a 1.4 Celeron with a 512MB and 40 GB harddrive for $107/month qualify as budget these days?

Originally posted by Frontpage1
    I don't think Servermatrix would qualify as a 'budget' host anymore.

Does a 1.4 Celeron with a 512MB and 40 GB harddrive for $107/month qualify as budget these days?
    There was a sale with a P4 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB Hard Disk for $109.

-GSV

theplanet is certainly an above average data center. connectivity is good and minimal packet loss in the year we have been with them.

We dont utilize their support - so, cant really comment on that - but, reboot requests have always been exceptionally fast.

I do think there are better DC's available - however, theplanet is one of those decisions you cannot go wrong with - which is always nice.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Re: theplanet.com anyone??

Originally posted by elux101
    I talked to one of their sales guys and he mentioned they are at 45% utilization and 52% at peak times, however that ratio seems too close at peak times, should be more like 70+%.
    To close? They are using 52% of their connectivity, according to them. That would mean at PEAK they have about 10 Gbit/sec of available overhead, available bandwidth. To me that definitely seems like enough overhead...

Also, you suggest they have 70+% utilization when that is more utilization than they currently have, thus less overhead, seems to be the opposite of what you're looking for.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Pretty happy with them . Network wise they are very good and stable.

Originally posted by bullet-worm
    ..."it requires much engineering and planning to make a change like that. But you can cancel your existing server and rent a new one and get the new deal or pay the upgrade price." (of course meaning paying set-up costs again).

I may have been born at night, but it was not last night. I know exactly the type of engineering degree it takes to swap out sticks of memory in a server...
    By engineering and planning I'm pretty sure they're referring to the necessary planning on the business side of things, not the actual simple task of adding RAM. Thier business model is not set up to allow for older clients to upgrade freely to their current offers. It would take a lot of re-working figures on the business/accounting backend aka engineering.

They seem to have more outages lately, but they usually get resolved fairly quickly. They're above average but not the best.

Just a couple days ago they had a pretty big outage:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=422842

We've moved servers from theplanet to layeredtech recently, due to support. Not enough to complain about on the forums, but it wasn't where it should have been. I couldn't be happier with layeredtech, and take the "They wouldn't do such-and-such for me" posts with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by elix
    I don't know about many people who would describe them as awesome to their support. Additionally, Server Matrix is the budget division of ThePlanet, they don't resell their servers. You are correct about HostGator using ThePlanet, however. The improvements ThePlanet is making in August, outlined here, hopefully improve the quality of service.

I recommend you a search to get current reviews of ThePlanet. From first glance, ThePlanet has mixed reviews.

-GSV
    That page is 66.666% lies.

“We are excited to bring yet another industry first to our customers, providing them with the most cost-efficient and fastest provisioned solutions in the industry.”

Three services are listed as a part of the RealTime service on that page. They are:

-Rapid deployment. 30 minutes or less or the setup fee is refunded. This is NOT industry-first or fastest provisioning because 15minuteservers.net offers and maintains a 15 minute deployment record.

-Automated OS reload. Point and click and your server's OS will be reloaded. Again, NOT industry first because EV1Servers.net has exactly the same service.

-Automated Account Transfer. Well, I've yet to see any other host offer this, so this makes up the 33% of truthfully-industry-first services.

Either way, fancy-shmancy "RealTime" services or not, I would still be wary of the operating nuts behind this automated system. As I've stated before... "I swear, I've had more intellectual conversations with a donut."

All nuts and lies aside, kudos to TP for attempting to improve the level and quality of service. And yes, their network is stable. Just not their power grid.
    Last edited by danclough; 07-10-2005 at 03:39 AM.
    "When a man begins to doubt himself, he does something incredibly stupid and thereby is reassured."
    ::http://www.dustytech.net/:: Personal Website

Originally posted by FlashwireGroup
    That page is 66.666% lies.

-Rapid deployment. 30 minutes or less or the setup fee is refunded. This is NOT industry-first or fastest provisioning because 15minuteservers.net offers and maintains a 15 minute deployment record.

-Automated OS reload. Point and click and your server's OS will be reloaded. Again, NOT industry first because EV1Servers.net has exactly the same service.

-Automated Account Transfer. Well, I've yet to see any other host offer this, so this makes up the 33% of truthfully-industry-first services.
    They may not be the first to bing them out, but they are the first to have all three.

TP just keeps getting better and better. I have a few servers there and I couldn't be more happy with the service.

only problem that i am having is many of the isp blocking TP's IPs(for the emails). I opened the ticket 4month ago but not fixed yet.
    So I still can't send email to many customer in Japan.

This is NOT industry-first or fastest provisioning because 15minuteservers.net offers and maintains a 15 minute deployment record
    Actually, if you want a control panel setup on your 15minute server, it's about 2 hours, not 15 minutes.

Regardless:
    Take a look through the outages forum, look for the 30+ page regarding them and being down for 3 (I think that's what the total time was) hours. Their complete LACK of information on this matter is rather apalling.

In addition, I've had to deal with tech support on various levels with TP, and the best thing I can say about them is that they're trained monkeys, literally. Examples:

A> client had been having problems with Total Control server, the ip wasn't routing properly. It took 3 months to get this problem noticed, because client didn't turn the server over to me until then. When I noticed it, I opened a ticket, took 4 days of dealing with worthless techs to get a REAL response from them. They realised "oops, we didn't unplug a Windows server with that ip registered". Even though I TOLD them (from the beginning) there was a windows server on their network that had this ip, they continually refused to acknowledge the situation, and insisted that it was the "firewall" causing this problem (yeah, like a firewall can make a linux server appear to be a Windows server).

B> Countless times I've opened urgent tickets with them, had no response, whatsoever for hours on end, and if I DID get a response, it was always the same "it's a firewall issue" response, when I know for a fact it wasn't/isn't.

C> Their MANUAL reboot time ranges (from my experience) to 30-45 minutes. This is flat out appalling for any provider. Thankfully, they've gotten on the ball and got SOME of their setups hooked up to APC stuff, but it isn't always working.

D> Check the forums in here, somewhere there's a thread about a mysterious 'price hike' to existing customers (not new, existing) of $30-$50/month per server. I don't recall the details specifically, but low end servers were getting jacked up in price. Not NEW servers, but current servers. Again, another apalling practice. If a customer signs up for a service at a specific price, they should be given that price until they close service, or at least for the servers they ordered the price under.

E> Multiple times, I've seen them take ip's from existing servers without warnings, or anything else, and issue them to some other servers. Usually this is with new servers, but I've seen it with existing as well. Not cool!

From what I've seen, repeatedly, the experience at TP is mixed. Their tech support staff really has no clue what they're doing, or appears not to, and their sales staff, well, don't even get me started there.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

I currently have 6 servers with the planet.

Support is good for me. 20 minutes or less to reply to my tickets.

They definitely have a awesome network.

So many providers, and centrally located.

I vouch for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast