Shell and web host needed. RisingNet.net?

Well hello. I thought I'd toss this out since Googling has been of little help as far as finding any current reviews of the company. I'm looking for a host for a small local organization's site. We will need both a chat (IRC) server as well as a web host.

I found Risingnet.net and they have a package that seems to suit my needs: a combo deal that offers both a shell account as well as web hosting. But as I said, I can't find anything in the way of reviews of this company that are current. So does anyone have any input?

Now, do I NEED both? Or will a good shell provider also let me install and run Apache in addition to the IRCD and run the website portion that way? For reasons of simplicity and finances, I would much rather have both hosted at the same place, and from what I've been able to find, most companies seem to offer either shells or web hosting, but not both.

Any input or company recommendations are much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Does it absolutely positively need to be IRC chat ? How bout a PHP chat app instead ? Seems a lot of hosts don't like IRC for some reason or another. It should not be a problem to run both PHP chat and a website off the same host.

Tim Connor,

Welcome to the forum. I never had experience with risingnet.

I have my shell accounts and web hosting with sh3lls.net. I use the web hosting for small company and never experienced problems yet. I am just running a few pages, without any databases.

However, if you require reliable customer support, I would recommend going with reputable hosting company.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Hmm, no, I suppose it doesn't have to be IRC, that's just what I am the most familliar with. Looking at some php chat scripts, most of the freebie ones are, well, garbage. I do understand the aversion may hosts have to IRC, and they have it for good reason. We'd be a strict chat-only place (no file trading or anything) but all of the bad experiences they have with users ruin it for the rest of us.

On the topic of RisingNet, it's been almost 72 hours now since I sent an email to their support address asking about some specifics, and I've gotten nothing but the original auto-ack email. Not a good sign, I'd say, so I'll be looking elsewhere.

First Tim let me welcome you to WHT and thank you for posting here for some advice (often times many do not take the appropriate measures in researching before buying unfortunately).

Hmm, no, I suppose it doesn't have to be IRC, that's just what I am the most familliar with. Looking at some php chat scripts, most of the freebie ones are, well, garbage. I do understand the aversion may hosts have to IRC, and they have it for good reason. We'd be a strict chat-only place (no file trading or anything) but all of the bad experiences they have with users ruin it for the rest of us.

On the topic of RisingNet, it's been almost 72 hours now since I sent an email to their support address asking about some specifics, and I've gotten nothing but the original auto-ack email. Not a good sign, I'd say, so I'll be looking elsewhere.
    While PHP scripts are good (albeit buggy in some cases) I still prefer doing IRC support with a java client on the website. In any case wish you the best of luck in your search Tim. I would recommend checking out Shellsearch.com as you will find very many hosts do post listings on there and many of which are quite responsive to inquiries.

Wish you the best of luck in your search.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

6. I use to have an account on risingnet before I started my own host, they're pretty good and are pretty well known for shell accounts.

They have also been around for quite a while.