like netflix or gamefly, but for music?

Today, i saw a commercial for a place called gamefly.com which allows you to rent video games that are sent to your house.

This reminded me of netflix.com, who lets you rent movies, that are later shipped to your house.

I was wondering if there was something similar to each of these, that would allow you to rent music cds over the internet.

Sure, there is a big risk that this service can easily be abused to allow these cds to be copied, and re-distributed, But that can also be done by netflix, or gamestop customers.

i dont know, i mean think about it, music is something people like to listen to over and over, not like beating a game once, or watching a movie once...so i donno, i mean in theory yes, because music gets boring, but then everyone will probably be listenong to the same songs and not returning it until the songs become boring and so you can't really run a business when the majority of your people want the same cd at the same time
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

who would rent a cd when you can own the tracks you want for 99c?

There are services like Napster and Yahoo that allow you to "rent" music for a flat fee. Other than that, nothing comes to mind.
    - Matt

because you don't know what tracks are good, you're not getting the greatest quality possible, and itunes tracks won't work if you get a new computer.

There are services like Napster and Yahoo that allow you to "rent" music for a flat fee. Other than that, nothing comes to mind.
    You don't get album art with those services though.

Originally posted by Blankwire
    Yeah, I think this is the closest it is going to get to "renting" music. When I buy/download a CD, I'll rip it, listen to it, forget about, and then listen to it again at a much later date.

If they came out with a service like this, I'd subscribe to it just to rip thousands of songs, as would many others. A music rental service just wouldn't work out...

Originally posted by mikeylove
    That makes no sense. If you were to rent your music, you'd have the album art (CD jewl case) for a limited amount of time anyway. Atleast with these services, you get the album art embedded in the files. What's stopping you from doing a little work and printing out the art yourself?
    - Matt

mike, I have already thought of something like that, but the investment would be too big. I'm not sure if the RIAA licenses allow you to 'rent' it out either.

You get to see the cd in the full case, and read whatever is written in the inner sleave with my idea.

Also, subscribers of my service can scan album art.

mike, I have already thought of something like that, but the investment would be too big. I'm not sure if the RIAA licenses allow you to 'rent' it out either.
    That's a very good point.

I was under the assumption that you could download the album art off of the internet. Is it a big deal to most people? I could care less about the front of an album.

Also, subscribers of my service can scan album art.
    MY service? Are you planning on starting something up?

MY service? Are you planning on starting something up?
    I don't have the money to start something like this. i guess i should have said "my idea"

I don't have the money to start something like this. i guess i should have said "my idea"
    Well, you did say my idea. Loosing it, Mikey?
    - Matt

GameFly is nice service, lets you keep the game too once you get it if you like it, just charge you a small fee for the game to keep.
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I guess none of you have actually rented movies or games online then.
    You think they ship you the actual DVD or game case?
    That would cost too much for the shipping.
    They stick the CD in a paper sleeve, stick that in a rectangular sleeve, and mail that.

So regardless, you wouldn't get the cover art anyways, only the CD.

[Random Trivia]
    Question:
    Do you know why they stick the CD sleeve in another rectangular sleeve when mailing it?

Answer:
    It costs more to ship a square envelope than a rectangular of the same height.
    [ / Random Trivia]
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

Originally posted by jasong
    I guess none of you have actually rented movies or games online then.
    You think they ship you the actual DVD or game case?
    That would cost too much for the shipping.
    Not only shipping, but it'd cost more to buy all of those copies complete with jewel cases and packaging. Unless this hypothetical music CD rental business were going to just go out to some retail store and buy thousands of CDs at retail prices, it'd be just like netflix or gamefly... a cd stuck in a branded paper envelope; no album art or liner notes.

I actually use GameFly and NetFlix.. I really like them both and would recommend them. One company I would not recommend for games in GameznFlix.com. These guys/gals are extremly slow and not worth the discounted price. It can take anywhere from 5 - 9 days to receive a game. Where I can select my game with GameFly and get it the next day or a day later.

Quick question: Does Naptster work like ITunes? Where as when I download a song with ITunes I cannot burn this to a CD for personal use. Although I see why and understand, I just don't take my IPod everywhere.. and would of rather made a CD of an album I just bought. If this is the case, i'd be better off paying $2.00 more for the CD in the store.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

You can burn cds/songs that you get with itunes legally... with itunes the program.

I'm not sure where you get that you can't burn them.