Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WHT Vancouver, Canada summer meet-up

In May, a group of us in the Vancouver, Canada area got together for lunch and conversation. The event went so well that we started talking about having another Vancouver get-together. The idea of a BBQ or something else outdoors came up.

We got busy and the subject got unintentionally dropped, but VanHost and I have been talking about it again. Since the previous Vancouver, Canada meet-up thread currently has 119 posts (including the first post), I'm starting a new thread here.

Who would like to come to this next Vancouver meet-up? When would you like it to be? Where should we have it? And what should the event be?

Ideas from the previous thread:

What

- A BBQ
    - Something kid-friendly for those who want to bring families
    - Pitch-putt golf (this idea was suggested offline) + a BBQ

Where

In Surrey or Vancouver:

- A park in Surrey
    - Jericho Beach / Park in Vancouver
    - Stanley Park in Vancouver

Further away (but within driving distance):

- Buntzen Lake (near Port Moody; see this map and these photos)
    - Whatcom Falls Park in Bellingham, WA

When

Why don't we pick 4 tentative dates and see which one works the best. If you're interested, can you let us know which dates work for you?

- Saturday, August 6
    - Sunday, August 7
    - Saturday, August 20
    - Sunday, August 21

More suggestions about where and what are welcome.

These are all just ideas. Tell us what you think.

Thanks,
    Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

Who - Me. I'd like to come

What - Anything that involves food, I'm in. I'm not a fussy person and can pretty much have a good time regardless.

Where - Last one was close to White Rock, so it wouldn't be fair of me to suggest this However, I've heard that Surrey Lake is also a nice area.

When - August 20/21 work fine for me.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Who - I will be there.

What - Food sounds good

Where - Surrey/White Rock area is preferable.

When - August 20/21 is fine here too.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

WhO: Me possibly

What: BBQ!

Where: Bellinhgham would be best for me... BC... Hmmmm eh!, Might be able to do that.

When: Late August
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

I would be interested in attending this, having it at Buntzen lake would be nice since I am just 10 minute drive away from it.

When: Late August
    Where:Buntzen Lake
    What:BBQ
    Targeted Traffic – Premium Targeted Traffic For your site from ProTraffic.net

So far we have:

Who

- writespeak (Lois)
    - VanHost
    - MH-Gary
    - LazyD

And possibly:

- TalkMilitary

What

- A BBQ (2)
    - Anything with food (2)

Since a BBQ covers both of the above, let's make it a BBQ.

Where

- Surrey Lake or somewhere in Surrey/White Rock (2)
    - Bellingham (Whatcom Falls Park?) (1)
    - Buntzen Lake (1)

I haven't voted yet, but I'm leaning towards somewhere out of the city. I'd like to see Buntzen Lake again, but I haven't been to Whatcom Falls, so that would be good too, although it's a little far for some of us. Perhaps we should see how many people can come from each side of the border and let that influence the choice.

Or if the majority vote for Surrey/White Rock, that would be good for me too.

When

- August 20/21 (2)
    - Late August (2)

TalkMilitary and LazyD, does August 20 or 21 qualify as late August for you?

I'm thinking that we should go with the earliest date that works for as many people as possible. That way, if we get rained out, there'll be some summer days left to reschedule the event.

Any more thoughts? More participants?

Lois

Who - I will be there.

What - BBQ sounds good

Where - Surrey/White Rock area is preferable.

When - August 20/21 works
    Git-R-Done

Who - Me and my friend [Maybe right now.]

What - BBQ sounds good

Where - Doesn't really matter.

When - August 20/21 would be best.

Who - Me and my wife?[not sure if she'd like to meet a bunch of online people, but in that case I'll bring a friend]

What - BBQ sounds good

Where - Since I live downtown - Stanley Park, but its up to the majority...

When - Whenever. My regular job hours change week to week so its hard to say when works best.

I would love to hook up again. I think the late Aug would be good for me also. I will try and get the Sig other to attend also... she was a little lost when we got hard core into the geek speak but other than that she had fun. I would of course lean towards the whatcom falls area since I am just 10 mins from there but I love stanley park as well as almost any outdoorsey area. please if someone could check out the other areas for bee's though as I am HIGHLY alergic and I would not want to end up in the Hospital .

Sean

The dates are fine with me. Wife and kids are in as well. They are well behaived.

As for location, if in the Bellingham area, about %99.5 sure to make it. If it is in BC, it is about %50/50 for me. But do not let that go against the majority rules aspect.

Glenn

Originally posted by writespeak
    So far we have:

Who

- writespeak (Lois)
    - VanHost
    - MH-Gary
    - LazyD

And possibly:

- TalkMilitary

What

- A BBQ (2)
    - Anything with food (2)

Since a BBQ covers both of the above, let's make it a BBQ.

Where

- Surrey Lake or somewhere in Surrey/White Rock (2)
    - Bellingham (Whatcom Falls Park?) (1)
    - Buntzen Lake (1)

I haven't voted yet, but I'm leaning towards somewhere out of the city. I'd like to see Buntzen Lake again, but I haven't been to Whatcom Falls, so that would be good too, although it's a little far for some of us. Perhaps we should see how many people can come from each side of the border and let that influence the choice.

Or if the majority vote for Surrey/White Rock, that would be good for me too.

When

- August 20/21 (2)
    - Late August (2)

TalkMilitary and LazyD, does August 20 or 21 qualify as late August for you?

I'm thinking that we should go with the earliest date that works for as many people as possible. That way, if we get rained out, there'll be some summer days left to reschedule the event.

Any more thoughts? More participants?

Lois

Originally posted by calimedic911
    I will try and get the Sig other to attend also... she was a little lost when we got hard core into the geek speak but other than that she had fun.
    I got lost during the geek speak too. That's one reason that I like the idea of an outdoors event, where we can move around and talk in smaller groups as well as all together. When you guys start speaking geek, maybe I'll listen for a bit to see what I can learn, but I'd be happy to have a different conversation at the same time with Paolina and anyone else who doesn't speak geek.

Originally posted by TalkMilitary
    Wife and kids are in as well. They are well behaived.
    Don't tell your wife you said that.

How old are your kids? I'm wondering if we should be looking for a place that has a playground or other kid-friendly features.

Lois

Too bad I'm no longer in B.C. I was there for almost two weeks just a couple weeks ago, though I was about 500 KM away from Vancouver, in Jasper.

Here's the latest update.

When

August 20-21 sounds the most popular. Shall we mark Saturday August 20 on our calendars? That way, if it rains, we'll have a few other possibilities for rescheduling the event, starting with August 21.

Who

- writespeak (Lois)
    - VanHost
    - MH-Gary
    - LazyD
    - Founder
    - calimedic911 (Sean) and maybe Paolina
    - TalkMilitary and wife and kids (less likely if the location is in BC)

And maybe:

- MStar and friend
    - Marble and wife or friend

Where

A place where bees aren't a problem (but I don't know how to find out about bees beforehand)

- Surrey Lake or somewhere in Surrey/White Rock (Founder, MH-Gary, VanHost: 3)
    - Bellingham (Whatcom Falls Park?) (TalkMilitary X2, calimedic911 X2: 4)
    - Buntzen Lake (east of Vancouver) (LazyD: 1)
    - Stanley Park (calimedic911 X2, Marble X2: 4)

I don't see any clear choice here except to take Buntzen Lake off the list. (Sorry, LazyD.) Since those who like Stanley Park as a choice are flexible and it's quite far for some people to travel to, I'm suggesting that we narrow the choices down to the Surrey/White Rock area or Whatcom Falls Park in Bellingham.

What do the rest of you think? Can those who named these locations tell us more about them? For Surrey / White Rock, can you name and describe specific locations?

Thanks,
    Lois

August 20th works well for me, I'll put my official vote down for that.

In White Rock, there is Cresent Park which is basically forest with trails throughout and a large clearing with BBQ benches/picnic tables. There are even power outlets if anyone wanted to bring a stereo.

In the heart of Surrey, there is Surrey Lake. I've never been there, but here it is quite nice and it is pretty central it seems.

I got lost during the geek speak too. That's one reason that I like the idea of an outdoors event, where we can move around and talk in smaller groups as well as all together. When you guys start speaking geek, maybe I'll listen for a bit to see what I can learn, but I'd be happy to have a different conversation at the same time with Paolina and anyone else who doesn't speak geek.

Don't tell your wife you said that.

How old are your kids? I'm wondering if we should be looking for a place that has a playground or other kid-friendly features.

Lois
    Touche! That did read funny.

They are 7 and 9. Playground is not a requirement. If out doors, they find plenty to do.
    Glenn

Can't say for sure if I can go but so far a simple BBQ in Stanley Park sounds good.

To make some alternative suggestions for location, I recommend: Cypress Falls Park, Ambleside Park, Lynn Cannon Park (where they have a suspension bridge) all of which are on the North Shore.

Anyone heading out there from Ontario?
    If so what are the flight rates.

I would be interested in getting together as well.

Originally posted by David
    Anyone heading out there from Ontario?
    Maybe you?

If so what are the flight rates.

I would be interested in getting together as well.
    The airport you'd be flying to is the Vancouver International Airport. You're welcome to join us.

Where

VanHost and I have just talked about nailing down plans for this event. With lots of good suggestions for the location but no clear favourite, we chose...Peace Arch Park, straddling the Canada/US border at White Rock, BC, and Blaine, WA. Peace Arch Park is as central as you can get for both people in the Lower Mainland (Vancouver area) and those just across the border in Washington, and it's a park that we know. It has lawns, gardens, picnic tables, a children's playground, a horseshoe pit, and a rocky beach. A little more info about Peace Arch Park is at this site. Those travelling from the US can park in the park parking lot on the south side of the border and then walk through Customs to join the group.

We'll figure out a way for people who haven't met us to identify the group. Maybe WHT will lend us this:

When

August 20 was the date we set before. We talked about postponing the event if it rains, but if we have people coming from as far away as Toronto, Plan B will be a restaurant lunch instead. If you're going to come all that distance, we want to meet you.

Time: 1 PM.

What

VanHost has a small propane BBQ he can bring. Does anyone else have one they can bring too?

We're thinking that we can all chip in to buy propane, meat, and maybe some other group expenses, and make the event a potluck for the rest of the food -- salads, desserts, finger food.

Who

I'll put together an updated list closer to the event.

The event is called the WHT Vancouver, Canada meet-up, but WHTers from anywhere are welcome to come. You don't need to speak geek either.

I suggest that everyone who is considering coming subscribe to this thread so that you'll get any updates and a reminder the day before the event.

How does this sound?

Lois

How does this sound?
    I'll add that what I wrote in my previous post was a proposal, not a final plan. VanHost and I agreed that unless we laid out a proposal, we wouldn't have any plans to work with. What do you think about the suggestions in my last post?

August 20 is now just 2 1/2 weeks away. BTW, is anyone else concerned that August 20 is the opening day of the PNE? Doesn't it usually rain on this day?

Here's the latest who list. Does it need any updates? Also, if anyone will be coming from far enough away that you'll have to start travelling before the day of the event, please let us know so that we can have a suitable Plan B in mind.

Who

- writespeak (Lois)
    - VanHost
    - MH-Gary
    - LazyD
    - Founder
    - TalkMilitary and wife and kids (less likely if the location is in BC)

And maybe:

- MStar and friend
    - Synthetic
    - David (coming from Toronto)

Note that the current proposed location is in BC, but Peace Arch Park straddles the border, so technically it's in WA too.

As I said before, WHTers from anywhere are welcome to attend. If you don't have any ideas for your summer vacation yet, I recommend this area.

Thanks for any feedback and updates,
    Lois

Peace Arch seems to work for me.

http://www.peacearchpark.org/

August 20 is now just 2 1/2 weeks away. BTW, is anyone else concerned that August 20 is the opening day of the PNE? Doesn't it usually rain on this day?
    Personally, I don't think that the opening day of the PNE will affect this. As for weather, we simply have to plan our contingency. We can't organize a group meeting for this many people based on weather.

As I had a lot of fun at the Milestone's meet we did last time, that will be my suggestion for our contingency plan. If it rains, we go to Milestone's. If it's sunny, Peach Arch.

That's my 2 cents. I'm getting quite busy these days, so not sure if I'll be planning much from hereon out. However, I'll be there on the 20th and will be happy to be told to bring things

Originally posted by VanHost
    Personally, I don't think that the opening day of the PNE will affect this.
    The other day I was sitting outdoors with a friend and he commented about the weather, "The PNE is opening soon. We'll get rain then." That's what I meant. It often rains on the opening day of the PNE. Isn't that why they discontinued the PNE parade years ago?

As for weather, we simply have to plan our contingency. We can't organize a group meeting for this many people based on weather.

As I had a lot of fun at the Milestone's meet we did last time, that will be my suggestion for our contingency plan. If it rains, we go to Milestone's. If it's sunny, Peach Arch.
    I was thinking that we could possibly reschedule the event if it rained, but at this point, that sounds like too much work. I second your contingency plan.

I'm getting quite busy these days, so not sure if I'll be planning much from hereon out. However, I'll be there on the 20th and will be happy to be told to bring things
    I'm also getting busier, so we need to keep this simple. How's this:

What

- You (VanHost) bring your BBQ. If anyone else has one, maybe they can bring their BBQ too.

- Everyone brings their own meat or other BBQ item so that we don't have to figure out exactly how many people are coming and who eats or doesn't eat what.

- The rest of the lunch is potluck. Everyone brings a salad or dessert or some other picnic food to share with the group.

- Everyone brings their own dishes and cutlery etc.

Where

At Peace Arch Park, the Canadian side, meeting at (a) picnic table(s) that the first one of us to get there (possibly but not necessarily VanHost or me) picks out. That first person brings a sign with "WHT" on it to help everyone else find the group. If there's a notice board near the park entrance or building, we put a notice there about where we are.

If the weather is iffy or rainy, VanHost and I will decide whether or not to move to Plan B. We'll post about it in this thread by around, say, 10 AM that morning. (Suggestion: you may want to subscribe to this thread if you haven't already.) Plan B is Milestones in White Rock, where we met in May. It would help to have numbers so that we can call the restaurant ahead of time to book a table.

We can also post a reminder here about the event the day before for those who might, ahem, forget.

When

On Saturday, August 20, at 1 PM (Plan A or Plan B).

Who

If anyone on this list is not coming, or changes their plans later, it would help if you could let us know. Also, if you're in for the BBQ but not if we have to go to Plan B, that would also be useful to know.

- writespeak (Lois)
    - VanHost
    - MH-Gary
    - LazyD
    - Founder
    - TalkMilitary and wife and kids

And maybe:

- MStar and friend
    - Synthetic

If we have to go to Plan B, I'm not including anyone on the "maybe" list in a restaurant reservation.

What say you guys?

Looking forward to seeing y'all,
    Lois

I will be there with my Wife and 2 kids.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

I will be there with my wife and 13 year old son. I have one slight concern . . . In any park when the weather is good, there is usually no room for a new party starting at 1PM. I have found that arriving really early is the only way to reserve a spot. I may be wrong about the Peace Arch park but just wanted to toss that out there.
    Git-R-Done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast