What makes a "sucessful" logo??

Hi,

I was just wondering what everyone thinks makes a 'successful' logo.
    What does it take to grab the attention of the user? What's the best way to go about creating one from scratch? I'm having creative block working on a new logo, so any interesting thoughts/ideas would be a great help!

Thanks!

Creating a logo can be tricky...

My typical evaluation of a project like branding goes something like this:

1. What type of company is it?

2. What is the target audience?

3. What item comes to mind immediatly when thinking about this market?

4. What colors come to mind? (don't over anaylize)

5. What is a simple way to explain the company? (Visually)

A good logo is one thing, but really great logo's are also a product of great marketing...

I could show you a million logo's that would be considered "not so great" if it wasn't for millions of dollars of marketing to push the logo...

For example:
    GM - Very Simple.
    Microsoft - So the s and the o had a little work... but plain text.
    1&1 - Very basic.
    GoDaddy - Enough said.

Good luck with your project... I usually spend some time doing something I enjoy when I get a design block... You have to really clear your head in those moments...

Your "logo" design should distinguish your products and services from others. I personally think that the traditional logo add more value to your quality product or service representation.

simple not too flashy, and easy to remember.

I think the best logo express the business value and philosophy of a company.

Best Regards
    D.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

an effective logo must:

1. be relevant to the industry where your business belongs
    2. give your clients the idea of what your company and your products or services are all about
    3. have a great design and nice color combination

for me, these things make up a successful logo. hope it helps..

---------------------------------

Phil I. Pines
    mesrianilaw.com
    "Everything has to be legal"

I think these are pretty good examples:

http://b3ta.com/features/phalliclogoawards/

.. of how *not* to do it. :-)

JDM:

That is the first time in months that something I've seen on the net has made me laugh hysterically until I
    So far I have not needed to make 31 posts thanks to the search function.

Talking

LOL!

Great responses everyone. I appreciate your help! Now we can have a nicer, less *uummm* naughty logo existence....hahaha....

I have to admit - that IS pretty funny....

TO ALL, thanks for the help!

I was recently doing research on this, most of the following is from marketingprofs:

- The best logos are often very simple or just a unique font.

- Your logo should look good in black and white first.

- Different colors generally convey different meanings, Google search for info on color psychology. Choose colors accordingly based on your industry, market, target customers, etc. Don't have more than more than 2 or 3 colors.

- Logos are first remembered by shape!! Don't have a logo with flashy, complex graphics/colors. Complex logos are hard to recognize. Remember your logo allows consumers to identify your services. The black and white rule is important.

- When designing a logo, make sure it is reproducible in any medium - print, web, clothing, etc. It should be resizable (vector format).

- Your logo shouldn't have a literal connection with what you sell. Example, if you're a hosting company, you don't need a logo with computer. Many great, distinctive logos simply have unrelated or otherwise meaningless markings. (i.e. Nike swoosh, McDonald's arches). You see it and can immediately identify the brand/product and can't mistake it. When you see a logo with a shoe, you think shoe store or shoe maker, etc. But when you see the swoosh you think Nike, not Reebok, not Foot Locker. Granted, these companies spend millions on brand development, but the basic principle is still there.

The reason for black and white designing at first is so that it is easy to reproduce it on business cards and in other colors for inexpensive shirt printing, by the way.
    So far I have not needed to make 31 posts thanks to the search function.

A successful logo should be designed not only for online but offline. For example if you plan on printing your logo on t-shirts, etc. then keep the colors to 2-3. It get very expensive printing with multiple colors. I learned that the hard way with my six color logo. My next logo I needed I made sure to keep the colors down but yet popping on the web and offline.