Converting a VCD into multiple MPG or AVI files - need help.

Hello,

I have a VCD with some music videos on it that I need to somehow stick in my computer and convert a bunch of different MPG or AVI movie files out of it.
    -For example, say the VCD has five different videos on it. I want to convert each one separately, so that I can put each individual one up for download.

I don't know much about video editing/converting/manipulating, so, I guess what I need is a program (preferably free if you know of any) that lets me convert the VCD into MPG or AVI files, and then lets me chop it up/edit it into multiple movie files.

I hope I make sense. ~_~
    -Please help me out.

Thanks.
    Moo cow monkey horse.

Bump.
    -Please help me out. <3
    Moo cow monkey horse.

Just take your favorite video editing software. Cut the scenes out individiually then rencode with whatever format you want.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Best site for video conversions and editing:

http://www.videohelp.com/

Wish I had known about this site when I purchased my tv tuner card. Thanks for the link fortress.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.

Originally posted by pixelized
    Just take your favorite video editing software. Cut the scenes out individiually then rencode with whatever format you want.
    Wow, did you even read my topic?
    -If I had the software and knew how to do it, obviously I wouldn't be here.

Thanks fortress.
    -I'll check that link out.
    Moo cow monkey horse.

You could try windows movie maker. I think it's junk but it might get the job done and it comes with windows xp.

Hmm, this program called VirtualDub seems to do the job; however, it doesn't let me add a logo on top of the movie (like on the bottom-right corner or whatnot) as far as I can see.
    -I may need another program to edit things further.
    ...not sure yet.
    Moo cow monkey horse.

Yeah, I found it.
    -Seems to be working ok...

I'm making DivX AVI files at the moment.
    -My only concern now is file size.
    ...What's a good file size for a 352x240 resolution (I think), 5-minute DivX AVI movie file? I'm at 77mb at the moment, and not sure if that's too big... about normal... or what.

Suggestions/opinions?
    Moo cow monkey horse.

That's way huge. For that resolution you should probably be looking at around 2-3MB per minute (about 140 minutes on a CD) for decent quality. You could probably get away with even less depending on the source video. These figures include low bitrate audio (64-96kbit). Without audio, cut off about 25%.
    Last edited by error404; 07-07-2005 at 08:04 AM.

Hmm, I got the file size down to about 13mb now.
    -I changed the video encoding to 380kb/s and the audio to 56kb/s.

I'm not really sure if that's how I should have done it, so, some more advice/tips would be helpful.
    -The audio sounds fine and all, and the video seems to look ok as well, but... is there a way to have even higher quality audio and whatnot without such a huge file size?

I'm such a n00b at this kind of thing.
    Moo cow monkey horse.

13MB sounds about right. It's a trade-off. You can increase audio bitrate all you want, but it will increase the filesize as well. If you go to 112kbit audio, expect about another 13% in filesize. If you're not already, be sure to use VBR encoding for the audio.

They're targetted towards DVD quality video, but you may want to check Doom9.org for more information on how to encode xvid/divx.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I couldn't even go up to 112kb/s audio if I wanted to. 56 is the highest I have available for whatever reason.
    -As for VBR encoding or whatnot, is that an option with VirtualDub? I'm looking, but I don't see it.

I'm attaching a picture of what I see under audio compression, and what I used (due to it being the only thing that seemed available/good).
    ...if there is something else I need to download or whatnot in order to have more audio options available, please let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails audio_compression.jpg  
    Moo cow monkey horse.

Thanks a lot, error404.
    -That gave me a lot of options to choose from.

I'll make another post here later on with other questions and/or status updates.

EDIT - the lame codec seems to offset the synching a bit. It seems a second off or whatnot. When I used the crappy codecs that I showed you in that picture attachment, though... the synching was right on. Hmm...
    Last edited by JedKent; 07-08-2005 at 03:03 AM.
    Moo cow monkey horse.

VBR audio often causes problems with AVI sync. What you may have to do is encode the audio manually and separate from the video, then re-mux the two with VirtualDubMod (it has support for VBR MP3). Encoding it in one shot often doesn't work, though I'm not sure why. You can use the lame.exe command line utility there, or download http://www.dors.de/razorlame/index.php RazorLame gui and use that.

You can extract the audio to a WAV file with vdub via the File menu (I don't remember exactly what the option is called), then use the encoder ot encode that to a .mp3. Then load the video again and add your .mp3 file as an audio stream. Make sure to select 'direct stream copy'. Save the file, and that should be in sync.