Question remote access software?

im looking into different remote access software, ive tried remote desktop and vnc and found id rather have something thats quicker to deploy. plus, when i am dealing with some of my non-techie relatives---the simpler the better.

ive narrowed it down to a couple webbased programs--gotomypc, mywebexpc and logmein. not sure which one to choose from here. logmein sounds the coolest simply because its free--but is it any good?

thanks for your help.

Hi,

Use VNC + VNC Java Applet. Point users to the webpage, that's all. Users know how to enter URL into browser

I used Logmein for a while, but it was far too unreliable. Often times it just stopped working for extended periods of time, ie 30+ minutes, reporting of connection errors in the log. You're connecting through Logmein, so it's just another point that can fail. So, I evaluated them useless for production server environments, and went back to good old VNC, the $50 Enterprise version from http://www.realvnc.com/download.html -- rock-solid, although I wouldn't necessarily go for the Enterprise version next time, the free one will do the job.

If you're running this on a Windows machine, you could use Remote Administrator. It can install via command line, and it's super easy to use.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

How quick to deploy is Remote Desktop (I assume you mean windows RD?). Its pre-deployed with the OS?!

If you have XP clients, you most difficult bit is just finding the right start menu item. Win2k clients, download the free RDC client from microsoft.

RemotePC is also a good option to look into as it is fast and easy to use.
    Features include f
    ile transfer and remote printing.

Yah, I can't see how RD is hard to deploy. You install the OS, you have remote desktop. It's faster than the others and very secure.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.