transferring hosts...need some help

Hi. I am in the market for a new Web hosting service. My registerfly site has been down 10 out of the last 15 days with sporadic service on the other days. Ugh!

Does anyone have basic Web hosting packages that they are using that they like? Price range: around $4-5 month.

Is there anything tricky I need to know about transfers. I'm new to this and navigating my way through.

I am on hold with registerfly right now trying to get this resolved. 20 minutes and waiting....

Thanks for your advice!

What kind of specifications are you looking for? Try searching in the 'shared and reseller offers' section. You will find plenty of web hosts within your budget.

Best of luck with your search

Does registerfly use any major control panel? If so get them to create a backup of your site and upload it to your site. Then find a new host and ask them to extract it for you. This is the easiest way to moving a site from one server (or company) to another.

hls0005,

Transfers are relatively simple to perform.
    The good part is you're with registerfly - and they don't have a history of stealing domains or anything like some other companies (obviously since domains are their 'forte').

Just remember to research any host that you're considering, afterall you don't want a repeat incident.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

You can backup your site via ftp. If you have any mysql database you may login to phpmyadmin, and click on the "export" link to backup your db.
    Dixiy.com - Professional Web Hosting Provider since 2002
    AutoCreation.net - Automation Solution for cPanel Hosting! + Illegal File Scanner
    WHDir.net - Your complete Web Hosting Directory with Hosting/Server Tutorials

Yes check out your new host before signing up and it may save you time later. when you find a new host ask them if they can help move your site.. most will help you move depending on the type/size of the site.

Good luck you should be able to find a great host looking around WHT

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Hosts in that price range may not be of the best quality... I am not saying the good ones don't exist, though.

Transfers... well, just make sure your domain gets pointed to the new DNS servers. Often, your host can assist you with this.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

File transfers are pretty easy and should be able to be done with just about any FTP client out there. If, for some reason you don't have access to a mysqlAdmin, you can use the mysqldump command to create backup files of your databases.

using ssh (I'm assuming you are hosted on a Linux or Unix box)
    Code:
    shell> mysqldump [options] db_name [tables]
    Depending on the mysql server configuration you may need to use a few different options like -p (for password) and -u (username), which I suspect you may need.

If you're on a windows server, they may be other ways to do it, but I don't know them offhand.

The biggest problem I've had with transfers in the past is getting my domain routed to the right DNS servers when I needed it done. Check with your new host to make sure they are capable of getting it done within the time frame you require otherwise your viewers will be pointed to your old server, or worse yet, to nothing. This happened to me a long time ago when I was working independent of a hosting company and it was a real pain to get resolved.