Shared vs. reseller

I am very new to the hosting world. What is the difference between Shared and Reseller hosting?

I want to know this because I have found a company called serverdivision that does hosting.
    They have a reseller plan for $11.99 per month that has 4GB space and 90GB bandwidth.
    For a shared plan it is $12.99 per month for 2GB space and 50GB bandwidth.

Seems the reseller plan has better specs.

Shared hosting is mainly for the end users and Reseller hosting is for them who host domains / client sites etc.

If you are a small host / web designer then you can start with Reseller package.
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Dedicated Servers Domain Names
    Custom Web Development Mobile Application Development SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

If you are looking for a single site, you should go with shared. You said it yourself, you are new at this. At this point there is no need for reseller, and if you are not looking to be in the business of web hosting then you shouldn't need a reseller plan at all.
    Map & Web Hosting
    URLdownload.com

Thanks for the reply.
    Would there be an advantage of going with the reller hosting?
    I have two domain names and want to run 3 to 5 websites.

Originally posted by AlxCds
    If you are looking for a single site, you should go with shared. You said it yourself, you are new at this. At this point there is no need for reseller, and if you are not looking to be in the business of web hosting then you shouldn't need a reseller plan at all.
    They do offer double the space and it is for $1 less if I go with the reseller account. Is reseller more complicated?

Not at all, just because they offer a reseller account does not mean you HAVE to re-sell their services. You should be able to simply use the whole packe just for your own account.
    Map & Web Hosting
    URLdownload.com

Originally posted by jettman
    Thanks for the reply.
    Would there be an advantage of going with the reller hosting?
    I have two domain names and want to run 3 to 5 websites.
    Depends on how many domain names the shared package versus the reseller package, will allow you to host. You have only quoted the disk space and bandwidth. How many domains, mailboxes, subdomains, databases, etc., does each plan offer?

Knowing this, then look at your needs. Then you should be able to choose what is best for you.
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

This is the first time I have seen a web host offer more disk space & bandwidth for less price then the shared plan.

I guess it would be an advantage to go with the reseller plan instead of the shared plan, you will be getting more disk space and bandwidth for $1 cheaper.

Reseller Hosting has private nameservers plus gives you the ability to seperate your 1 account into multiple user accounts.

What you are referring to is a 1 time promotion. So the package is not standard.

With any hosting provider, you don't need to resell any body's services. You can simply have all your domains on 1 user account.
    Shared accounts normally give less disk space + more transfer,

Cheers

Another advantage of a reseller account is the more advanced way in which domains can be managed. The addon domains that can be used with shared hosting plans can become a bit confusing once you have a few sites...

However, since some hosts do give WHM access to their shared hosting accounts/customers, you might want to ask first.

(I'm assuming you're looking at their Linux hosting offer.)

If I were you I would go with the reseller plan.

But first, I would ask them why their reseller plan is cheaper. Usually reseller plans are more expensive.

i agree, find out why the reseller plan is cheaper and also ask them the questions you are asking in here and find out the flexabilities. After all they may be your hoster and they will know more than we know. And it would be good to see how they reply to you for future reasons. otherwise it sounds like the reseller package would be more beneficial than the shared!
    good luck