Lightbulb Is there such thing as DDOS protection?

"Is there such thing as DDOS protection?" is a question that 5 months ago I would have said "No, theres not!"

I have seen many providers that say "DDOS Protection Included" which is really just a standard bit of filtering which dosnt do alot when your being hit by a large attack.

About 4/5 months ago I was requesting IP's on my dedicated server to be null-routed around 5/6 times weekly and sometimes even more... This was to ensure that the whole server wouldnt go down if it was to be attacked.

I knew that there would be options out there that cost $thousands monthly, but because of the high costs I didnt even research this option.

I searched "DDOS Protection" on WHT at the time of receiving alot of attacks and found several providers which people had said "REALLY HAD DDOS PROTECTION"... Like many on here I thought "Does it really work?", But I didnt have much to loose because it was obvious these attacks were not going to stop.

So I decided to give one of the providers a go... GigeServers (http://www.gigeservers.com) - I found them to be slightly higher priced than many other providers but I actually took this as a good sign as they must have to fund their protection some how!

Server was up in a few days, and we moved our data over, now all that was left to do was playing the "Waiting Game". 24hrs down the line things were running un-usually smoothly.

More to the point! - A week down the line we hadnt noticed any attacks coming through and havnt had any complaints regarding server downtime or connectivity issues.

Now... 4 months down the line, we have been threatened by many of these "packet kiddies" that they are going to take our server down and its mighty nice to be able to go away from the computer knowing your server is in safe hands and protected.

For those who are having problems with attacks, you may want to consider one of these providers. GigeServers is the one we chose www.gigeservers.com.

Best of luck to the victims of such attacks! You will get through it!

~ Matt
    ~ GigeServers for DDOS-Protected Dedicated Servers ~ www.GigeServers.com ~

Imagine handling 1Gbps of flood and you wont even feel a thing until you ask them if there is an attack going on . Thats GigeServers all right.
    What i said above is not theoratical but practical
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon

Lightbulb :)

Glad to see others are having the same experience!

~ Matt

I too host 2 servers at gigeservers, i have hosted at many of the irc allowed datacenters and by far gigeservers is the most secure from ddos attacks. Nullrouting is good and gets the job done however it looses the clients service untill restored.
    In todays market keeping a client online is a high proirty as they will find a provider that can.
    Hosting with gigeservers does that in regards to ddos protections.
    Id also like to mention about the support we receive from gigeservers, every support ticket entered has been resolved as quick as can be, with no mention of extra fees or sorry we cant do that... thats your responsiblity.
    Pricing is also very fair for the servers you get are all highend equitment and with the service and quality of the lines its well worth it, they also allow a full 10mbit port unmetered for 150$ extra..
    On a scale of 1 to 10... id easily give gigeservers a full 10.
    Last edited by webmazter; 07-06-2005 at 02:50 PM.

i've always thought it depended on the company you hosted with

Originally posted by Gman44
    i've always thought it depended on the company you hosted with
    thats a bit obvious - no offence intended.

~ Matt

Over the past years i have been a server admin of many dedicated servers from many diffrent providers running irc servers on mid sized networks (about 10K users on the irc network ) and every datacenter iv came accross has failed with ddos protection on large scale attacks. Then a good freind of mine and box owner of the servers i admin decided to go with gigeservers, and I have to say there level of professionalism and security far exceeds expectations of any datacenter iv came across. There prompt trouble ticket response and the kind nature of there staff is a real comfort knowing all your hard work is in safe hands, and the ability to be able to walk away from your PC at night and sleep not having to worry about the next ddos attack is a real relief. Iv seen proof that the server we have hosted there has been hit with way over a 1.3Gbit attack and not once had 1ms lag. There equipment is top notch securied in a REAL datacenter. All i can say is keep up the good work Gigeservers.

Hm, I think staminus could match gigeservers' ddos protection?

Possibly. Ive only ever seen Gige's ddos protection.

Just wait for DeltaAnime to jump this thread, he's by far the most experienced person on these forums when it comes to IRC providers.

Yea... He's experienced all-right.

~Matt

haha, naw, i only have about 3 years and a bit experience with IRC.

We don't have any boxes with gigeservers due to cost restrictions ( my self and one other fellow pay for all of our leafs, so costs are a big concern usually).

I've seen matt filter some absolutly mammoth attacks, around 1.5 - 2Gbit if i remember right. Within the next month though, matt's getting another 2 - 3 Gbit commit from abovenet, cogent and i thought one other provider (though i could be wrong).

To be honest, these are the only two hosts i know that have actual ddos filtering at such a high level, at no extra cost to the customer. One of my channels has hardware with Nexpoint and, with enough money, can filter around 100,000 packets per second (this is nothing to be really honest). I would bet money that staminus has 100,000 pps going into them in ddos at any given point in the day.

EV1 has some alright filtering but again, it's only around 60,000 - 100,000 pps from what i've heard (but it's free, so it's a plus). One friend of mine had a leaf there and was taking a Gbit of dDOs coming in and the box wasen't dropping, but i'm getting the feeling it was just UDP, meaning they just blocked UDP to those IP's.

The two EU providers we have servers with, Leaseweb and Amenworld, have no filtering as far as we can tell. We had like a 30Mbit DDOS coming into our 10Mbit unmetered box at Lease, and it was toast.

Though, just to touch back on staminus, once their new commits are in place, matt should be able to piss off even the biggest EFNet kiddies and not worry too much.

~Francisco
    Last edited by DeltaAnime; 07-06-2005 at 10:10 PM.
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

I tell you what. I have been struck twice so far.. Its sicking what DDOS attacks can do to a hosting company.

The first attack kept one of my servers down for 3 days.

The second thank god was only for 18 hours..

I do my best for my customers, but I tell you its a hard to to explain to the average customer..

Wish there was a simple answer.. I have searched and I think unless you have millions to spare, its an impossible thing.
    EbizCraftsman.com Hosting & Web Design
    EbizCraftsman.com

Advertise your hosting company here!!

Oh I thought you had like 5+ years of IRC experience...

Ive been using IRC for 4.5 years now.

~ Matt

i have been in irc around 7 years and i have used many providers (mostly shell accounts from companies hosted at ddos protected datacenter) and that i found is that: if you want to have REAL ddos protection you can choose 1) go with staminus or gigeservers (i think gigeservers are better because they never nullroute) 2) go colo with an ISP such as tiscali.

If you do a search to irc networks you will find many servers running from ISP and have zero problems because of the knowledge of people running them or the big connectivity they have. For "little" people like me the best solution is those two companies i mentioned before. They do great job..
    Nobody is perfect! My name is nobody!

Originally posted by D3m0n
    i have been in irc around 7 years and i have used many providers (mostly shell accounts from companies hosted at ddos protected datacenter) and that i found is that: if you want to have REAL ddos protection you can choose 1) go with staminus or gigeservers (i think gigeservers are better because they never nullroute) 2) go colo with an ISP such as tiscali.

If you do a search to irc networks you will find many servers running from ISP and have zero problems because of the knowledge of people running them or the big connectivity they have. For "little" people like me the best solution is those two companies i mentioned before. They do great job..
    Yea gigeservers have never had to null-route for me.

~ Matt

Originally posted by ebizcraftsman
    I tell you what. I have been struck twice so far.. Its sicking what DDOS attacks can do to a hosting company.

I do my best for my customers, but I tell you its a hard to to explain to the average customer..

Wish there was a simple answer.. I have searched and I think unless you have millions to spare, its an impossible thing.
    Umm...did you read the thread? Both gigeservers and staminus can provide ddos protection for as little as $150/mo...you don't need "millions"

Originally posted by ebizcraftsman

I thought the same. Your answer is GigeServers www.GigeServers.Com

~Matt

no one mention theplanet? is theplanet ddos protection so weak?
    Linux System admin (since 2001)
    * cPanel/WHM, Directadmin, Apache, DNS, PHP, HyperVM, Lxadmin, Openvz*

no one mention theplanet? is theplanet ddos protection so weak?
    I believe they only offer netscreen at the present (I reserve the right to be corrected though). I had a server there awhile ago and that was the only protection I had seen. I have heard reports (from reputable friends who have experience in this area) that their netscreen protection works but not nearly at a high enough level to handle IRC hosting properly.

In any case yes I would say Staminus and gigeservers are probably the two top ones with filtering. Also to an earlier poster there is no such thing as not nullrouting ever. What happens when all 2-3GBps of uplink bandwidth you have gets nailed with an enormous DDoS attack? You surely would not just sit there and leave it go to take down the entire network for all your other customers. Fact is there is way more then the firewalls involved when you talk about ddos mitigation. The transit has to be there to filter at such a high level else it does no good to have firewalls in the first place.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Ask yourself this question. If ThePlanet and EV1 had real faith in their DDOS protection then why ban linked ircds?

The only real ddos protection I have seen offered and adhered to is from staminus and gigeservers, there are also a couple of other providers who will put in custom ddos filters for a small fee I have found useful.
    Chris Collins
    Hostingfreak.net
    Directadmin Hosting in europe
    www.hostingfreak.net

Also i have heard some good things about sharktech.net ddos protected/firewalled servers but they have to do with FDCServers and dont know if they can be compared with tha others they use cogent and thats a problem. As i have test them (by shells accounts) i think staminus and gigeservers are for sure over them.
    Nobody is perfect! My name is nobody!

Originally posted by Chrysalis
    Ask yourself this question. If ThePlanet and EV1 had real faith in their DDOS protection then why ban linked ircds?

The only real ddos protection I have seen offered and adhered to is from staminus and gigeservers, there are also a couple of other providers who will put in custom ddos filters for a small fee I have found useful.
    I'm sure they can implement, but allowing IRC is a lot more problematic than just DDoS. It's a niche market I think.

Originally posted by Chrysalis

They simply don't want to invite the trouble and according to their calculations those customers are likely more trouble than they're worth. They'd still need the capacity to sustain such attacks, likely need to upgrade the DDoS systems, etc. adding cost that makes it better economically to not allow IRC related services.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

As Karl pointed out above, having the ability to take care of problems does not mean you want to face them all day long. Filtering a DDoS attack on a large scale is very far from an automated task even with the top equipment in the world. It does require man hours as well as knowledge and in many cases quite a few sleepless hours.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Not to mention - all the DoS/DDoS traffic is being mitigated at their network's perimeter. Have too many DoS attacks and the approach path to the perimeter itself with start to choke.

Faisal
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").

Everyone with his business.
    Allowing IRC is opening the Pandora's box somehow.
    There are brilliant DDOS mitigation experts and they have their market.Elephants like TP and EV1 dont allow IRC due to the costs of dealing with such a trouble.And i think they never will

Lightbulb

Well,

Its nice to see that many people who have had trouble with attacks in the past have found companies like GigeServers which block attacks.

~ Matt

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    They simply don't want to invite the trouble and according to their calculations those customers are likely more trouble than they're worth. They'd still need the capacity to sustain such attacks, likely need to upgrade the DDoS systems, etc. adding cost that makes it better economically to not allow IRC related services.
    Exactly my point. They havent got the systems in place where they able to just leave it and have the ddos and it isnt felt by the rest of the network. So the ddos protection they offer isnt comparible.
    Chris Collins
    Hostingfreak.net
    Directadmin Hosting in europe
    www.hostingfreak.net