Game Server Hosting?

Hi everyone, I just wanted to see if I could get some opinions from some of you. Some buddies of mine and myself are looking to purchase a sevrer to run some counter-strike 1.6 servers as well as maybe counter-strike source. We were thinking along the lines of a Dual Opteron 246 or a Xeon 3.2 800FSB EM64T machine w/ 2 gigs of ram and a 200 gig SATA drive. First thing is, what do you think would give us better performance between the 2? Also, if any hosting companies out there have such systems, or if anyone of you could recommend a good provider with a system like this could you please post it here? We would prefer east coast or central US. Thanks for any ideas you might have!

I would try out layeredtech.com they are good for cheap servers and also have serveral different options. I personaly would go with 73gig SCSI Hard Drive there will not be that much noticeable difference but it should mean the files etc load faster meaning no lag. I personaly would go with the AMD machine as far as I am concerned they are much more gaming suitable. Many people feel that the dual xeons are better for gaming but i beg to differ.

ThePlanet has their relatively new game servers devision called Insomnia365 (http://www.insomnia365.com) The are an Intel shop, but their control panel looks pretty interesting. Just FYI.
    --

Thanks a lot so far guys! I was wondering if anyone could answer the question on the Xeons vs the opterons

Originally posted by jeffromart
    Thanks a lot so far guys! I was wondering if anyone could answer the question on the Xeons vs the opterons
    You won't see a whole lot of difference between the Opterons and Xeons for game hosting. I would take the Xeons personally if given a choice.

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    You won't see a whole lot of difference between the Opterons and Xeons for game hosting. I would take the Xeons personally if given a choice.
    and I on the otherside would take the Opterons if given the choice

Go with the Xeons, you won't be disappointed.

As far as your harddrive selection goes, 200 GB is a bit overkill for game hosting, I would definitly go with the 73 GB SCSI like Intech suggested.

73GB SCSI would cost more than a 200GB SATA no doubt. I agree the space is a bit too much but SATA is a good comprimise between performance/price.

Id pick Opterons..

getting mad yet?

either will work good though dont worry.

- Eddy
    Tired of jumping web hosting providers? Tired of OVERSELLING? Tired of Poor service/quality?
    Are you Finally realizing You Get What You Pay For In Life?
    If So...Please Visit ***** eServicesUnlimited***** - We Guarantee 100% Satisfaction we promise that!

I'd go with the AMD and also SCSI Drive for gaming.

Here is a good one. look at the special promotion in jhpcomputer.com. They have the dual Opteron 244 processor with 2G RAM and 37GB SCSI at $2115US. Not a bad deal.

It is a Canadian company though.

My dedicated game server expert here in Colorado says that both of these platforms are pretty much the same.

The main issue will be how many instances of the game server you are going to be running? If you are only going to run around 4 instances you can even just go with a single proc Xeon and you will have more than enough capacity.

From there just go with the best deal. You can do a search on WHT or take a look at the Offer Forums for dedicated servers.
    Esley Ottesen
    GearHost Inc. [www.gearhost.com]
    Powerful Web Hosting for Serious Business

dindin,

Thats a little high in price. IMHO. What would go with SATA drive or go with the WD raptor it should run games just fine.

Dell currently has 600 off in addition to free processor upgrade , 2nd processor and 2nd hard drive. You can build a dual 3ghz xeon machine with 2 gigs of ram and 2 73 gig scsi hard drives for about 1500.

Did I read this correctly and it said the options were Dual Opterons -vs- Single Xeon?

um... perhaps I misread it but dual opts versus single xeon the choice should be obvious.. Now for a few gameservers not sure dual procs are needed.
    Andrι Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Say a Dual Opteron 246 vs a Dual Xeon 3.2 EMT64?

Say a Dual Opteron 246 vs a Dual Xeon 3.2 EMT64?
    Dual Xeon

Unlike some of the other posters here that read a few reviews and are 'all of the sudden' experts I choose to "review" the machines in a live enviroment and can tell you that the Xeons run much better then the Opterons in a Windows gaming enviroment such as we use them for. The Opterons are certaintly no slouches and are worth the money but this is one company that won't be buying anymore of them..

We've had much better experiences with opterons... Less heat, less amperage, better performance, with a slightly higher price. Especially if you are running ina 64-bit environment. To each his own

X-Gaming's review is based on the Windows OS. Anyone here care to share experiences with Opterons running 64 bit Linux/Unix?

Yes, I will be running a 64-bit linux os on one of the two of these guys. So that would be a better suited question.

Originally posted by ambirex
    ThePlanet has their relatively new game servers devision called Insomnia365 (http://www.insomnia365.com) The are an Intel shop, but their control panel looks pretty interesting. Just FYI.
    Im a game server host.
    I LOVE insomnia.
    Choose them... no regrets

22. If I had a choice Id go with the xeon's for sure.

Originally posted by Storagedump.com
    Im a game server host.
    I LOVE insomnia.
    Choose them... no regrets
    You've far from being a game server host. You love insomnia because you have no clue what your doing and you can use cortex. You have no regrets because all you do is point and click your mouse.

Insomnia might be good for clans but for any gsp using them, there ship is sinking before they even set sail.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 07-10-2005 at 10:22 AM.

23. after browsing storagedump you gotta be kidding me. 20 slot bf1942 for $25. ROFL You prices are lower and you getting your resources for. Better go back to the drawing board dude!

Yes, I will be running a 64-bit linux os on one of the two of these guys. So that would be a better suited question.
    Dual opterons are definitly the better choice. Albeit, there are certain advantages to running windows (more CP's, hlds seems a bit more efficient), if you are more familiar with linux, then opterons are the obvious choice.

Yes, i'm very familiar with linux, i've been running a buncha boxes for a while now, I have just never had any experience with Opterons at all. I have had a couple xeon boxes here and there. Thanks for the info, anyone else care to have some input?

Originally posted by [email protected]
    after browsing storagedump you gotta be kidding me. 20 slot bf1942 for $25. ROFL You prices are lower and you getting your resources for. Better go back to the drawing board dude!
    Thanks for the tip dude, but Im doing quite well and my customers are happy.
    Visit |█| Fluxbits Hosting |█| for all of your SSD Web hosting needs!
    FluxBits Hosting, Based out of Dillon, CO, USA. Behold the power of SSDs.
    Proud to be a member of the wonderful WebHostingTalk community.

Dump

With prices like that all I can say is I bet it's not long until you are

Well, maybe he doesn't have enough customers yet to realize that's a mistake.

Everyone learns eventually. Some do it the easy way and some do it the hard way..

Any GSPs out there? I have pretty much decided to go with a Dual Opteron 246 Machine here are the specs:

Dual Opteron 246 Processors
    4 Gigabyte PC3200 ECC DDR RAM
    64-Bit CentOS
    100Mbit Port

I'm gonna be running mostly cs 1.6 servers as well as possible some csource, what kinda player count total should I be able to run without too many hiccups? I'm not quite sure what to expect, maybe someone out there has a similar machine they could give me some ideas on what they are running on it.

Thanks!

I'll tell you right away that 4 gigs of ram is way too much.. Drop it down to 2 Gigs and you will be fine.. Can you say overkill?

yeah I agree with x-gaming.

4 gigs of ram is overkill.

Drop it to 2 gigs.

It'll still run great at 2 gigs and save you some money to.

storagedump isn't a satellite of escapedturkey are they?

lol

Ya, they are running a special, get 2 ram for free, server comes with 2 gig, they upgrade you to 4 for free... And ideas on the slots there guys?

150-175 slots? Im running right now on a Dual Xeon 3.07 with 2 gigs of ram about 12 private servers that are 12 slots and a 16 man public with deathmatch installed and no problems except the ram usage : / If I shut down all servers the ram usage is 116mb but when I turn servers all on it jumps to 1.12gbs : / Still runs smooth though.