Hybrid View

HELP!!! Need a Host A.S.A.P.

Hi PPl,

I'm new to all this so bear with me. I'm in the middle of opening up a Promotional Comp. I'm not sure as to what specifics i need. Meaning...I need a host that offers good support! Gen. speaking the sight is for ppl to gather info about our events.

I would like a message board, chat and gallery. Should have a decent amount of bandwith. I'm more concern with uptime...like everyone else i assume. Oh if possible i would luv a Canadian Comp.

Should be reasonably priced. I'm sure i've left off things that you will need to properly access my situation, but any help will be appreciated. I can't tell you the amount of info i've read on hosting and i stl feel completely lost

Thx in advance,

Bre,

If you are not sure of your needs, it's always good to start small and upgrade as you require. Most hosts would be happy to do so for you.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Bre,

There are quite a few companies who can provide exactly what you need.

That said:
    Do you have any specific budget in mind? (Although there is quite the range available to choose from)

Hosting issues

Hi guys thx for the quick reply. I'm looking for an affordable host. I don't want the cheapest cus i need reliability over anything else along with good support. So although i don't have alot of cash to spend on hosting i'm willing to pay for good service. I just read some more post here and see that i forgot to include some things i'll need.

I need a control panel have no idea how much disk space i need? Along with what PhP, mysql and a number of other accronyms ic ppl talking about.

God the frustration is maddening!

All I can say is Visit the Advertising forums.. Hosts cant really respond here.. There is alot of Great hosts around here..
    Look for Quality, not Quantity.

Platinumn23 i can't seem to locate the Advertising Forum on here. I'll look over the sight again but i never noticed a section like what ur talking about.

Originally posted by EMantra
    Platinumn23 i can't seem to locate the Advertising Forum on here. I'll look over the sight again but i never noticed a section like what ur talking about.
    It's here
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumd...?s=&forumid=45
    Good luck!
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Thx for the link bro!

EMantra,

I wouldn't worry about hopping into the advertising forum: afterall it's best to wait for some responses from some host users rather than the hosts themselves

(whose going to give you a better idea of how a host performs - someone who pays the host and trusts them with the money or the host that takes the money? simple: the user!)

Basically what your requirements are going to be from the getgo (and what you should look for are):

a control panel - cPanel is one of my favourites - you can check out some details about it at http://www.cpanel.net, its very userfriendly.

php/mysql - as you've previously mentioned as you will need this for most gallery intallations, forums, guestbooks

in the case of cPanel there will most likely be some click scripts available so that you can install some of the scripts easily rather than manually.

For example: fantastico or openinstaller - most hosts have something similar and should include it free or cheap.

Are there any specific questions you have, don't want anyone being lost! really no need for it, afterall it's all a relatively simple concept.

You're currently actually taking care of the hardest part: finding a host out of the millions that are out there.

David i'm ready to pull out my hair!! N i'm shaved bald...lol

I was wondering what the diff. is between seller n reseller? Dedicated N...damn i don't remember what it's called...lol If you have a few host u know of Please Please let me know. I'm tired of this. Hell i shouldn't have to be doing this. My damn Webdesigner should be doing this, but thats drama in itself. God i'm grabbing a coffee brb. My boss keeps seeing me up on this board.lol

EMantra,

The difference between: seller and reseller

A seller would be someone who directly sells their services.
    A reseller would be someone who sells someone elses services.

(If I'm a host, and someone wants to sell my services on my behalf they're considered a reseller- because they technically would not be handling anything except the "selling" part).

The difference between a dedicated and a VPS:
    I wouldn't worry about that just yet, I don't think you're ready to hop into that market at all.

And yeah, my boss keeps seeing me here too.

Thx David,

Do you know of any Good Canadian Host? I Would prefer that (Trying to keep the cash in the Country) but would go outside if necessary.

Bre,

EMantra,

I personally can't recommend any - although there are some good ones out there!

Emantra, Look in the advertisment forums.. once you find a host you think is suitable.. Do a Search and find out if anyone has has a problem with them in the past or what they are like.. If you cant find anything on the host, Make a new topic and that hits the point like "What has your experiences been with such and such host?!?" Ask the community what there experience has been..

EMantra,

You can find a listing of canadian web hosts on http://ca.tophosts.com/

Just do a little research once you spot a good web host that meets your requirements

Regards,

Have you tried using the HostQuote feature here at WHT? You will find it at the top of every page.
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

I would talk to a local web designer. It sounds like you're not planning on making your own website by hand.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

For a good Canadian company you might want to look into:

http://netnation.ca/

My school has been using it to host their music site: http://woburnmusic.com
    - Gokul