Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please help us find a dedicated server under $85 per month

Hi,
    first of all, please do NOT respond to this thread if you are not sure the hosting you intend to suggest complies with ALL of the requirements stated bellow. Yesterday I tried to ask here a similar question but people just blindly posted some cheap hosting company URLs, which did not comply with our requirements, so that the other posters may have assumed my post was answered and that I did not need any more help (and the thread died). So please suggest only companies that comply with each of the conditions below.

[I also used the 'Find a Host' function on this site, but all I received was spam (many offers were well over $100, even though I selected the option under $100).]

So, please does anyone know if there is a hosting company that would provide us with an unmanaged dedicated server located in the US, Canada, or the EU (English-speaking staff required) and which complies with all of these conditions:

- Full root accesss (ideally via SSH)
    - Red Hat Linux (or Fedora/Debian/SuSE)
    - 40 GB monthly bandwidth or more
    - 1500 MB storage or more
    - 100 Mbps connection, full duplex
    - No charge for reboot
    - No charge for support ticket
    - Must allow heavy traffic (i.e., the server must not be suspended if it serves uninterrupted transfers at 100 Mbps for say 20 minutes).
    - Must allow non-UK/non-US residents (I live in the EU, but not in the UK)
    - Remote server restart (if connection to server is lost, or if the OS hangs).
    - 99.9% uptime guarantee (SLA)
    - Good reputation.

Firewall is not required but would be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

You can probably find a Celeron server within your budget at a lot of providers ... but there are 3 requirements that will be harder to meet if you want to stay under $85/month.

No charge for support ticket
    A $85 server is normally provided unmanaged. You want a managed or unmanaged server? A lot of providers will not charge you for support tickets, but will charge you if you ask for work to be done on your server.

100 Mbps connection, full duplex
    A lot of providers will ask you for an extra monthly fee to upgrade your port from 10mbps to 100mbps. If you choose a good provider and get a 100Mbps port, your server should not be interrupted if you peak at 100mbps for 20 minutes, but traffic will count in your monthly allocation and if you go over your monthly allocation you will be billed.

Remote server restart (if connection to server is lost, or if the OS hangs).
    Are you talking of a remote reboot port? If that's what you are talking about, ok you can find it within your budget.

You can always restart your server when needed. If you want the hosting company to actively monitor your server and take some defined actions if a service or the server fails, that's normally called Server Monitoring and you need to confirm with the hosting company that they will take actions if your server is down. That's normally an option or it can be included with managed servers. That option will be harder to find if you want to stay in the budget you specify.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Check out:

www.layeredtech.com

You can take an upgrade to 100mbits. Additionally, they offer a 99.9% Network Uptime SLA. I am pretty sure they meet all of your needs.

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by atchoooo
    A $85 server is normally provided unmanaged. You want a managed or unmanaged server? A lot of providers will not charge you for support tickets, but will charge you if you ask for work to be done on your server.
    As I wrote, we want an unmanaged server. If we find out that our server does not respond or that there seems to be a hardware problem, we need to submit a support ticket, which we want to do free of charge.

If you choose a good provider and get a 100Mbps port, your server should not be interrupted if you peak at 100mbps for 20 minutes, but traffic will count in your monthly allocation and if you go over your monthly allocation you will be billed.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "monthly allocation" here. I stated we need 40 GB monthly bandwidth and 100 Mbps connection.

Are you talking of a remote reboot port?
    Yes, as I wrote, if the OS hangs, we need to be able to restart our server remotely whenever we want, free of charge.

If you want the hosting company to actively monitor your server
    No, I don't.

Now I'm wondering if there is any company that will meet our demands.

Check out:

www.layeredtech.com

==========================================

This site is not accessible from india for the past 2 weeks.

Yes LT is the best choice.

To anilktm, You can use a proxy.

Originally posted by John Carpenter
    I'm not sure what you mean by "monthly allocation" here. I stated we need 40 GB monthly bandwidth and 100 Mbps connection.
    I think the point was that if you need 40GB of bandwidth it won't take long if you actually burst to 100mbit to go over that.

With the specs you listed specifically the the bandwidth and storage it'd be much more cost effective to look at getting a VDS instead of a dedicated server. If you really do require a dedicated server LayeredTech is going to be one of the few options in your price range and even they charge extra for a 100mbit port and probably for remote reboot port as well.

Originally posted by anilktm
    Check out:

www.layeredtech.com

==========================================

This site is not accessible from india for the past 2 weeks.
    I already checked them out but when I did tracert to layeredtech.com yesterday there was 20%-70% packet loss at the last two hops. I just repeated the test 2 minutes ago and it is the same. This is caused by Savvis. I did a tracert to savvis.net and the result was the same.

Thanks for the suggestion though. It meets our all our demands, except for the packet loss. Please keep suggesting more companies. It is greatly appreciated!

I already checked them out but when I did tracert to layeredtech.com yesterday there was 20%-70% packet loss at the last two hops. I just repeated the test 2 minutes ago and it is the same. This is caused by Savvis. I did a tracert to savvis.net and the result was the same.

Thanks for the suggestion though. It meets our all our demands, except for the packet loss. Please keep suggesting more companies. It is greatly appreciated!
    Try this IP as it's an official speed test IP:

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

You are talking of 20 minutes at 100mbps ... if you go at 100Mbps for 1 hour in one month, that's 45GB of traffic. I do not know what you are doing, but I only wanted to note that. Most providers will offer you between 500 and 1500GB per month so there should not be any problem.

All your requirements are really basic, a host will normally not charge you to reboot your server or for any hardware issue, a lot of hosts will provide a remote reboot port and a lot of hosts will give you a 100mbps port if you pay an additional monthly fee.

Most of the hosts that answered your hostvoice request can probably answer your needs and most of the hosts here on WHT. You can find a Celeron server between $65 and $99 and will need to add the 100mbps upgrade so you will probably want to choose the cheapest $65-$75 server and add around $20 for the 100mbps port upgrade.

Regards,
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Originally posted by tkam
    I think the point was that if you need 40GB of bandwidth it won't take long if you actually burst to 100mbit to go over that.
    I think that all of us understand what monthly bandwidth means. The reason we require 100 Mbps connection is that we occasionally get short "Slahdot-like" spikes when press links to our site and we need to be able to sustain the peak. 40 GB monthly bandwidth is sufficient, but 10 Mbps is not.

Originally posted by elix
    Try this IP as it's an official speed test IP:

-GSV
    Ok just tried that IP address. The results:

The last two hops:
    216.39.69.54 (Savvis) -- 60% packet loss
    209.67.208.178 (LayeredTech) -- 30% packet loss

John,

I have a question: When you state 99.9% uptime, are you referring to hardware/software (the server itself) or the network?

The majority of servers at that price are going to be unmanaged - just letting you know that you'll be fully responsible for your server uptime (no matter which provider really).

Originally posted by HP-David
    John,

I have a question: When you state 99.9% uptime, are you referring to hardware/software (the server itself) or the network?

The majority of servers at that price are going to be unmanaged - just letting you know that you'll be fully responsible for your server uptime (no matter which provider really).
    Good point. Let me clarify that we of course know what "unmanaged" server means. By "99.9% uptime" I meant being able to connect to our server via the Internet.

If our server is down due to our own failure to manage the server properly, then we of course can't count this toward the 99.9% uptime quota.

Thank you for your comment.

John, how are you doing your traceroutes? I am getting not packet loss when I try traceroute or ping.
    --

Also worth checking the Dedicated offers forums as you might pick up something there

Ru

John could you paste a trace route to layered tech for us? I'm not seeing any packet loss to it and I tried from 3 different locations.

Originally posted by ambirex
    John, how are you doing your traceroutes? I am getting not packet loss when I try traceroute or ping.
    Their ping is ok and the ping command itself does not report any packet loss. However, when I do tracert (a shell command) and also when I use VisualRoute, the last two hops show packet loss and time outs. This has lasted already for two days.

I've attached a screenshot.

I'm sorry the screenshot does not seem to show. One more try:

The figures in red, in the second column, are packet loss in %
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tracert_layeredtech_screenshot.png  
    Last edited by John Carpenter; 07-06-2005 at 11:59 AM.

Ok, I've done the same test and still have no packet loss. Maybe because I'm in the states (I'm guessing from the chello broadband) or that I am using the new version of VisualRoute.

Edit: I noticed that the second to last ip is different (yours = 216.39.69.54 : mine = 10.1.3.6) This would seem to be the source of the packet loss. Maybe you could contact their pre-sales and see what is up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ltgraph.gif  
    Last edited by ambirex; 07-06-2005 at 12:04 PM.
    --

Maybe because I'm in the states (I'm guessing from the chello broadband) or that I am using the new version of VisualRoute.
    I live in the EU, however, this should not be a factor as regards packet loss. I tried other US servers just 5 minutes ago to confirm that this issue is really connected with Savvis and LT. No other US servers are showing packet loss. VisualRoute version does not play any role here either, because I've verified the results using tracert, which is a seperate utility.

Edit: I noticed that the second to last ip is different (yours = 216.39.69.54 : mine = 10.1.3.6) This would seem to be the source of the packet loss. Maybe you could contact their pre-sales and see what is up.
    Well, I believe that Savvis backbone could be responsible for that. Packets from Europe are apperently routed differently than from the US, which is understandable. However, this does not mean we should disregard the issue.

As I am not LT's customer, I am not going to contact them regarding this issue. I will keep watching though, because what they offer is exactly what we are looking for. If the problem persits for too long, we will have to look elsewhere.

Please keep posting your suggestions. Thank you very much in advance.

server4sale, layeredtech, managed.com (not recommended), sagonet, ezzi (I think)

I just received an offer from a company in PM. It look good, however, the cost was £59.99 per month, which is too high. So let me repeat what I said in the subject line, but forgot to include it in the list of requirements:

The monthly cost must be under $85, which is under £50 (including VAT!).

[B]I live in the EU, however, this should not be a factor as regards packet loss.
    I totally agree.

As I am not LT's customer, I am not going to contact them regarding this issue.
    I would say it is worth a sending them a note. They have a Pre-Sale Questions forum for these type of questions. The are also pretty committed to Savvis, as all new servers are going into that data center. They would probably be interested in resolving that issue. Good luck to you.
    --

Originally posted by Cserver
    server4sale, layeredtech, managed.com (not recommended), sagonet, ezzi (I think)
    Thanks but none of those meets all of the requirements (most often due to the cost, sometimes due to speed). So far only layeredtech.com does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast