Need help.. looking for a webhost

I came up with a good idea today.. but unfortunitaly I don't know alot about webhosts and which one to sign up with since I haven't made a website before..but.. my idea is to sell instructional videos that the customer could buy and after he made the purchase could download the video..I want to put about at least 20 videos up and each video being about 15-20 megs..Also looking to make custom T shirts and selling them on the site..Which webhost would be the best..should I go after one that offers paypal? shopping cart? ecommernce? And how much data transfer do I need for all the videos I'll put on my site? Any input from you guys would be helpful..I'm a newbie but a fast learner.

I'd say you’d need a shopping cart. Fantastico has oscommerce or something along those lines. Then you should probably get an ssl certificate, which means you'll need a dedicated ip address. For the actual certificate you can a starterssl cert for cheap from ev1servers .

There is no best webhost. My advice would be to look for a host that has what you need and presents themselves in a professional manner. Be warned though, when you've decided on a few candidates for hosting it's definitely worth it to run them by us at webhostingtalk so we can give you various experiences and feedback to better help you in making a final decision.

As for data transfer I think you will do fine with a few GB per month until your site grows. Most hosts allow easy upgrading of your plan so you can start from the bottom and work your way up as the needs of your website increase.
    Last edited by cywkevin; 07-05-2005 at 11:31 PM.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Hello daily_guitar,

Well - theres really 2 paths you can go here:

1) you can go to a provider that offers the complete solution (shopping cart, merchant account, ssl certficate, domain names, hosting, etc)

or

2) you can piece shop this around and pick up the various pieces. If yo uknow exctly what you are looking for, this may be a good way to go - as you will probably save some money...

Regarding shopping carts - there are just sooo many to choose from. However, based on your requirements for downloadable files - oscommerce may not be your best option. If you are going to go with an open source cart (free) - take a look at zencart. Very similar to osCommerce, but has some built in modules like downloadable products - that you could probably use.

If you have a bit of a budget for shopping carts - you should probably look at some of the commercial options which are available - specifically those with search engine friendly characteristics.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your project..

As a newbie, you could try for starters Mal's Ecommerce a free shopping cart service and on a secure server, integrated with PayPal.
    Easy to use for starters and then open source software such as Oscommerce or Zencart

Oscommerce or Zencart are also through Cpanel hosting companies, you can also download these commerce programs direct from there sites. I think you would need to pay extra for ssl however, maybe there is a hosting company that will provide ssl for these progs, if you host with them. (I think I seen that somewhere, can't remember at the moment)

I prefer Zencart myself, but they are both good programs, if you like to see an example of the zencart and of one hosting company that could fill your needs, send me a private mail and I will give you the address's.

Your idea, try and find a hosting company that will give you plenty of bandwith, your going to need it if you are up and downloading videos, there are a number of posts on this board discussing just that subject.

(sorry I can not give you any Url address's at the moment, as on this system I have to generate 5 new posts before doing so)

Originally posted by swefil2005
    As a newbie, you could try for starters Mal's Ecommerce a free shopping cart service and on a secure server, integrated with PayPal.
    Easy to use for starters and then open source software such as Oscommerce or Zencart

Oscommerce or Zencart are also through Cpanel hosting companies, you can also download these commerce programs direct from there sites. I think you would need to pay extra for ssl however, maybe there is a hosting company that will provide ssl for these progs, if you host with them. (I think I seen that somewhere, can't remember at the moment)

I prefer Zencart myself, but they are both good programs, if you like to see an example of the zencart and of one hosting company that could fill your needs, send me a private mail and I will give you the address's.

Your idea, try and find a hosting company that will give you plenty of bandwith, your going to need it if you are up and downloading videos, there are a number of posts on this board discussing just that subject.

(sorry I can not give you any Url address's at the moment, as on this system I have to generate 5 new posts before doing so)
    osCommerce is also available for Windows Hosts. We offer osCommerce as well and I think it's a great product. There are a lot of really good looking online stores that use osCommerce.
    Small Business Web Hosting with DOT45
    24/7/365 Technical Support; Windows Shared Environment; ColdFusion MX, ASP.NET, PHP, MS SQL, MySQL, Online Store Software, SiteBuilder, Secure Webmail via IlohaMail

Welcome to the forum, daily_guitar.

I would suggest you go with a Control Panel similar to Cpanel as it is not that hard to figure out. A Hoster with good Support can give detailed answers using the Telephone or a program like Yahoo Messenger which has a Voice feature. Some explainations can be detailed and Voice is the best way to handle them.

I would also recommend Mal's eCommerce as it is easy to use and has a Free or pay-for version. ZenCart would be my next suggestion which most Hosters provide within their Hosting packages.

Your Hosting package should start out as a small one which you can grow into and expand if needed, down the road. Around 500 MB of Web space and 2 - 5 GB of monthly Data transfer should be all you need to get going.

Forum rules do not allow Hosters to self-advertise so you will have to check up on Hosters people recommend in this thread or start contacting a few Hosters on your own.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Personally, i'd recomend CubeCart, (i know, im a known cubecart activist ^_^). It's extremely user-friendly, easy to setup, and has one of the most helpful communities for a shopping cart software (http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/). And best of all, its FREE (and installable via Fantastico).

Hope this helps you in your quest for online-entrepreneurship
    Rob G.
    ShopManager - Sales & Repair Business Management Software

I've used CubeCart and osCommerce. I personally like CubeCart better...but both are feature rich.

To second Website Rob's response, I would recommend cPanel over Plesk as there are more scripts to choose from with point and click install of shopping carts...it becomes much easier.
    Ashworth Consulting
    Dedicated Servers / Reseller Web Hosting / Web Hosting
    Network: The Planet, TX